EGR valve cooler fault

Hi,

I owe an Octavia Greenline 1.6 diesel 2009 REG.

I have noticed that an engine light came up on my dashboard followed by glow plug light flashing intermittently. The car then went into a limp mode and I could only go up to 40 mph. This will reset every time the ignition is turned off and engine restarted. I noticed that every time I accelerate or go up the hill, the glow plug will go into intermittent and the car goes into a limp mode again. Took it to the Skoda garage and was told that there is an EGR cooler fault and it will cost nearly £500 to replace.

Does anyone know if there is anything else I can do to avoid spending 500 quid? Can it be just cleaned? Or does anyone know a place where I can get the part and fit it myself?

Any help would be appreciated.

Egr cooler faults are usually down to leaking coolent into the cooler and there is usually nothing that can be done with them apart from replacing them,

Did they say exactly what was wrong with it??

• Like 1

Volvomeg

They didn't give me any details, all they told me was that it's faulty and a brand new part have to be fitted.

cheezemonkhai

Any idea where can I get that bypass from? And secondly, how will I get the EGR mapped out? Can an ordinary garage do it for me?

I need some guidance as the last time I was trying to solve problems with engine faults was about 10 years ago an that was a Skoda Forman. Since then I decided that I will always buy a new car so I never have to spend my time under the bonnet. Up until now :)

The fact it's going into limp home mode and you have warning lights illuminated means it probably won't be leaking coolant, it will most likely be electrical fault within the egr so as above it'll either need replacing or opt for the bypass. You'll be spending money either way unfortunately as there's a bit of time involved replacing/ removing egr cooler. Hope this gives you a bit more info. P.s. I personally wouldn't have a go at changing it without use of a ramp

cheezemonkhai

I spoke to the darkside developments people but unfortunately they haven't got a bypass for my engine.

I found a garage who can do the job for £350 which is better than 500 :) and I think I'll go with them.

Also can anyone point where an EGR valve is located as I got no bloody idea.

Below is a link with a photo of my engine

DSC_1938

• 4 years later...

Hi Guys

I replaced my ERG valve last year , The issue i believe that there if a valve similar to a exhaust value in the unit that sticks and jams open thus creating the problem. It is a real pain to get to as buried at the back of the engine behind the exhaust down pipe. If you want to look at it you will need to get under the car with the enging tray guard off. Good luck a real pig of a job .

On 1/23/2013 at 22:59, Moose33 said:

Hi,

I owe an Octavia Greenline 1.6 diesel 2009 REG.

I have noticed that an engine light came up on my dashboard followed by glow plug light flashing intermittently. The car then went into a limp mode and I could only go up to 40 mph. This will reset every time the ignition is turned off and engine restarted. I noticed that every time I accelerate or go up the hill, the glow plug will go into intermittent and the car goes into a limp mode again. Took it to the Skoda garage and was told that there is an EGR cooler fault and it will cost nearly £500 to replace.

Does anyone know if there is anything else I can do to avoid spending 500 quid? Can it be just cleaned? Or does anyone know a place where I can get the part and fit it myself?

Any help would be appreciated.

Are you losing water? as these coolers are water cooled you'd be losing water if cracked internally.