High pressure in coolant expansion tank?

walejase

I'm getting quite a high pressure build up in the expansion tank.

When I open the lid the coolant appears just below the minimum line. If I then top up to max after about a week the coolant seems to leak out the top of the tank?

I had it in the garage the other day for some brake work and they suggested the radiator could do with replacing. Is this likely to be the cause?

Is there anything I can check?

If the radiator was blocked and the car overheating, then that might happen, but usually radiators leak. An air lock could also give a similar problem, but these are usually short-lived on the Fabia.

A failing head gasket could also have that effect and the garage could check with a sniffer to find out whether there are exhaust gasses in the water. I'd suggest this test.

If that's OK and you have no other problems, (temp OK, heater OK etc) and the level is just below min then I'd suggest not topping up but keeping a close eye on the level and if it never varies when cold just accept it as being normal for the car.

If the radiator was blocked and the car overheating, then that might happen, but usually radiators leak. An air lock could also give a similar problem, but these are usually short-lived on the Fabia.

A failing head gasket could also have that effect and the garage could check with a sniffer to find out whether there are exhaust gasses in the water. I'd suggest this test.

If that's OK and you have no other problems, (temp OK, heater OK etc) and the level is just below min then I'd suggest not topping up but keeping a close eye on the level and if it never varies when cold just accept it as being normal for the car.

Thanks for the advice. The engine coolant light is on every time you start up, guess because its below the min level.

I'll get the garage to check gasket then. Picked up a new radiator from Euro car parts so will get that changed too.

Read on here if it's doing that it's the head gasket. When giving it death the head lifts slightly allowing it to lose the coolant. I'm sure someone else can confirm this though, I only read other the other day

Sniffer test is best bet . Another check is if anti freeze is up to strength is to check exhaust colour .Excessive white can mean coolant getting in to pistons and burning .

• 2 months later...

The guys at at a VAG Indy round here suggested that this is likely to be a head gasket problem or the EGR cooler. Is it worth getting an EGR delete kit fitted and also go for the EGR cooler delete pipe?

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/1-9-8v-tdi-pd130-and-pd160-egr-cooler-delete-pipe-for-ibiza-polo-fabia.html

And

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/darkside-1-9-8v-tdi-pd105-pd130-pd150-egr-delete-race-pipe-51mm.html

The very same thing happened on my VRS a few years ago (80k miles ago). Coolant was being lost only under high engine lead. My head gasket had gone, the head was skimmed and a new gasket fitted and has been fine (on that front) since. Just under £600 fix.

Sniffer test did not find anything at first as it only leaked under high engine load.

The very same thing happened on my VRS a few years ago (80k miles ago). Coolant was being lost only under high engine lead. My head gasket had gone, the head was skimmed and a new gasket fitted and has been fine (on that front) since. Just under £600 fix.

Sniffer test did not find anything at first as it only leaked under high engine load.

Did you have the engine mgmt light on as well as the coolant light on your dash?

Same thing here. Only done it under boost and a said above it lifts the head just enough to pressurise the coolant thus forcing it out the top of the header tank. Head gasket sorted it on mine. That was on about 90k on a 05 plate. I hope it's not your head gasket but sounds most like it.

Same thing here. Only done it under boost and a said above it lifts the head just enough to pressurise the coolant thus forcing it out the top of the header tank. Head gasket sorted it on mine. That was on about 90k on a 05 plate. I hope it's not your head gasket but sounds most like it.

Yeah I think so, how much did yours set you back?

I just want to get it sorted so I can get remapping!

Fortunately mine was under Skodas used car warranty. But I would expect it to cost £500 to £1000 depending where you go. Just catch it before it goes completely.

I read that tightening the head bolts a quarter of a turn could solve this, think it was Kevin from jabbasport done it on the ovtavia and sorted it. Might be worth a try?

• Like 1

I read that tightening the head bolts a quarter of a turn could solve this, think it was Kevin from jabbasport done it on the ovtavia and sorted it. Might be worth a try?

I've heard that as well. Just forgot about it. Defiantly worth a try before paying so much money to get the gasket done.

I've heard that as well. Just forgot about it. Defiantly worth a try before paying so much money to get the gasket done.

Let us know how you get on :)

Also, make sure you do it in the right sequence

Edited by wilsy7

To quote jason from another thread, which was about replacing the bolts altogether but sequence will be the same... it may be worth you swapping your head bolts for pd150 ones, do them one at a time and your head wont need to come off.

OK, you undo it in sequence, top left = 1, bottom right = 2, bottom left = 3, top right = 4, and so on until you reach the middle

For doing up, you reverse this, so 1 = middle bottom, 2 = middle top, 3 = bottom one to the right of middle, 4 = top one to the left of middle, until you reach the outside.

Its a 4 stage process. Firstly all done up to 40Nm, then done up to 60Nm, then with a rigid wrench, do two processes of 90 degrees, so after the two stages, each one is 180 degrees further round than when done up to 60Nm. Its gets tough for that last turn. ;)

To quote jason from another thread, which was about replacing the bolts altogether but sequence will be the same... it may be worth you swapping your head bolts for pd150 ones, do them one at a time and your head wont need to come off.

Had been looking for that!

Are the PD150 bolts stronger then? Just need to get my hands on a torque wrench now.