Diagnostics Tool

Jimmy

Went for a wee stroll around Halfords yesterday looking for some odds 'n' sods. Happened across a VW / Audi diagnostics tool that connects via the OBDII port and runs a full check. Any fault codes are displayed which you can look up in the enclosed instructions to find out what they refer to.

Admittedly it's a world apart from VAG-COM as it's only a read only device but at only

Jon, like the idea of using the shareware version of VAG-COM as a diagnostic facility. I've just downloaded but any advice on where to look for a suitable serial cable - bearing in mind I'm a bit of a techno numpty... Thanks. [/b]

Anyone got any ideas where I can get hold of a 'cheap' serial cable? I've just spent the last few hours trawling the web but all involve shelling out loads of cash to get the full package which is not what I'm after.

Also had a look for a wiring diagram to throw one together myself - well with a bit of help from a friendly IT chappie but these seem to be a closely guarded secret... Mmmm anyone prepared to shed any light.

Originally posted by Quinten in this post

Is it just a stock serial null modem cable though? I though it was more complex than that?

Q, Dunno really just that on a previous thread Jon mentioned that you can knock one up from scratch. I assume that all you need to do is get a standard serial cable and buy the right plug to connect to the OBD2 port. Then solder the correct wires to the pins (hence the need for a wiring diagram) then this should enable you to run ok with the freeware VAG-COM s/ware.

Or am I missing the point totally....

The the cable comes with a warning: Not to be used with 2002 onward model year A4 & A8. I wonder if that has implications for some of the more recent Skodas?

I'm pretty sure I have seen other sources for the cable, including detailed instructions for wiring one up. I will try and track the details down when I have time.

Originally posted by Eric_R in this post

No its not a simple wire connection, needs opto isolation and level conversion

from the PC serial port.

This is even cheaper if you want to make your own pcb:

http://www.planetfall.com/~jeff/obdii/

Swedish site:

http://home.swipnet.se/fredde-b/

Bang goes that idea then. Can't be bothered if it's that complicated. Now to find somewhere that will sell me one cheaply....

Hey here's an idea. Buy the one from Halfords and chop the end off it. With a big hammer maybe...

Originally posted by DGW in this post

The the cable comes with a warning: Not to be used with 2002 onward model year A4 & A8. I wonder if that has implications for some of the more recent Skodas?

Denis, Apparently some 2002 and later Audis require "Dual K Lines" to communicate with all onboard controllers. Hence a newer version is required with this functionality. The version 2 as supplied by OBD Tool is the one to go for in this case.

Originally posted by Jimmy in this post

Hey here's an idea. Buy the one from Halfords and chop the end off it. With a big hammer maybe...

Big K - is your hammer available for weekend jobs? :rofl:

Jimmy,

If you have a laptop and can get the Vag-Com software on it (or I could bring on CD) then we could probably have a look using the cable. I haven't used it much as I was going to add Cruise Control but haven't had the time :(

See you Sunday :D

Mark,

I will bring my laptop with VAG-COM already downloaded onto it. I'll also bring along a digi stills camera and DV camcorder to capture some action. Now just to fab a dashboard mount for the video camera. Mmmm..