Wow factor just not there

I'm feeling down at the mo, my 05 VRS Octy Is not playing ball right now.

There is just no real power, it starts ok but driving it feels like I may as well be driving a standard 1.8-2.0ltr car not a 180bhp turbo powered car.

When driving I here the turbo spooling but the power doesn't seem to apply to make you smile or scared lol. My car is standard under the bonnet for reference, standard air box and standard map etc..

I'm not sure where to look, all the obvious bits seem ok, I.e split hoses, N75, temp sensor, dump valve but then I dunno how to really test these elements correctly.

I have VCS Lite bit no codes are coming up, my coils have been changed so they would be ruled out so I'm after people's advice on where to look now, fuel is also going pretty quickly these days and I can some days get 38-40 mpg average but others see 30mpg, I suspected rear brakes as well but on a hill if you release the handbrake the car rolls away all fine.

Someone please help coz I do love my car but right now we are over the honeymoon period :-(

Have you tried a smoke test, I wouldn't know if it can be done at home but shouldn't be a expensive one for a garage. Not sure what else to suggest but there will be people along soon with much more knowledge than myself.

They are not quick cars when standard.

I agree. When I had mine put back to standard and the OEM map put back on, it was as though someone had taken half of the engine out! My initial test drive left me totally underwhelmed to be honest. I'd just come from an S14 200sx so the Octavia felt very mundane.

However, I knew it had potential and once a decent remap is on you'll be quite happy. One bit of advice though, make sure you sort the handling first and don't do what I did - map it and then the ARB. :blush:

• Like 1

A standard VRS is quick but its not fast, mine was low mileage and owned by a women and was slow when i got it.

After a good service and then a good thrash it sort of came to life and then after a remap it turned it into a totally differant animal.

I have the standard 150hp version(100%stock) and it feels right,is defo not slow,and after 3000rpm is pulls nice.

And is not that I'm not used with more powerful cars,before octy I had a 250hp V8 Audi

Unless you've just passed your test in a 1.2L Corsa, I don't think any standard Octavia has enough power to scare anyone! My std one feels usefully quick, but it's not a sports car!

Mine has sometimes felt flat like you describe when I'd put 95 octane petrol in rather than 98 or 99 "super" stuff - could this be anything to do with it?

When were the spark plugs and air filter last changed? Do you have OEM coil packs fitted or from some other manufacturer?

Where abouts in Essex are you? I'm close to the north Essex border and mine feels spot on so might be able to help you out some time if you are still stuck.

Edited by vrsTom

Cheers for the replies all, the car is coming up to a service however over the last few weeks I had the plugs out and re-gapped, plus oil is checked regularly as I cover a good 70miles daily so maintenance is always important to me, I will be servicing fully now the service check has come around and hopefully this all helps, the coil packs are all new as these were replaced under recal about 5 months ago