Anyone recommend a good HID Kit?

I'm looking into options for an HID kit. I want full xenon's all over my front end: low beam, high beam and fogs.

Is there anything out there that covers all three?

Also, I have noticed you can get LED bulbs for all of the outside lights. Can the ones for the low beam and high beam be fitted to my existing wiring? Or will I first need to upgrade to HID? Coz I'm pretty sure that the indicator/reverse/side lights can be fitted with LED bulbs without any problem.

Also, I've noticed that the prices for these kits have come down drastically than what I remember. Is this a consequence of more competition or are they less quality?

Thanks!

HIDs Direct, they give a full 2 year warranty and were brilliant when I had some issues. Also HIDs for high beam and fogs might be a little useless.

They take a few seconds to warm up to full brightness so not really worth it for high beam and as for fogs the amount of time you actually get to use them and even then they don't really give a good output.

I use LED side lights, reverse lights and rear number plate lights and they are fine.

Remember HIDs in non projector headlamps will blind people and won't pass an MOT.

You can get H7R bulbs which have a black part over the top of the bulb to stop glare but the best bet would be to get some xenon headlights from eBay then use the DS2 kit. Would look alot better and in theory minus the self levelling and washer jets be pretty much legal.

Xenon's in fog lights are a waste....after all, legally you only use fog lights when visibility is seriously impaired.....don't you!?

Projectors with HID's, but without auto levelling and washers are just as illegal as H7R bulbs in reflector headlights.

But because projectors have a good beam cut off, and dazzle less they are preferable. However H7R bulbs in a reflector with a suitably adjusted beam are acceptable and will pass an MOT.

Edited by booke23

Projectors with HID's, but without auto levelling and washers are just as illegal as H7R bulbs in reflector headlights.

It's been discussed on here before, and even an MOT tester asked regarding the changes to the testing, that it is fine, as they aren't on the car they can't test them. There is several production car's out there which do not have washers as standard

hmm, seems to be a much more detailed topic than I realised.

I've been wanting a pair of these headlamps for ages, I think they are sooooo cool.

http://www.car-mod-shop.co.uk/361001-projector-headlights-lhd-for-skoda-fabia-i-(-07)-with-cool-look-angel-eyes-(ccfl)-in-clear-chrome-with-integ.html

But everywhere that sells them says they are for cars with the steering wheel on the left, and drive on the right side of the road. Why is this??? The shape of the car is exactly the same whatever side the steering wheel is on, surely? I so want a air of these :doh:

Edited by BruceWayne

It will be the beam direction on them that is different, like when you had to stick stickers over your headlights when going abroad to alter/redirect your beam pattern so as not to blind on coming vehicles

It will be the beam direction on them that is different, like when you had to stick stickers over your headlights when going abroad to alter/redirect your beam pattern so as not to blind on coming vehicles

Thanks mate. So can you get these for right-hand drive cars then?

Hi. I bought my HIDs from HIDs-direct and bought the H7R kit. Cant remember which one but is a canbus kit mid price. My friend who is an MOT tester aligned them to be slightly lower than normal - equivalent of slightly higher -1 beam adjustment. Still a better output though than standard bulbs and have never once been flashed in any condition. I also have many close friends that are local traffic police and none have commented on the directional output.

As said above, unless you have a dodgy MOT tester they will not pass an MOT!

Another thing to think about is if your MOT tester would be happy to overlook the lights, what else would they overlook??? Maybe worth thinking about as no one wants an unsafe car.

Chris

Another thing to think about is if your MOT tester would be happy to overlook the lights, what else would they overlook??? Maybe worth thinking about as no one wants an unsafe car.

You seem happy enough with your "dodgy MOT tester", has he ever overlooked anything on your car!?

I run H7R HIDs, the only times I am ever flashed is very rarely such as I'm coming over the top of a hill to go down and meet a car in the top, which is fair enough as that's where the self levelling would come into action.

Booke - he's not dodgy so don't really appreciate your comment. He has told me that when MoT time comes round they had better be back to standard or it will fail. He aligned my headlights as asked even though he informed me that they were illegal. It falls to me, the owner of the car, not the MoT tester.

I like the enhanced white and vision they afford me in bad weather conditions.

Chris

Booke - he's not dodgy so don't really appreciate your comment.

I was kind of kidding....I assumed by your post that he actually passed your HID's, so by your own definition is "dodgy". But he didn't and he is not "dodgy".

But as far as I am aware, the rules in the MOT testers manual are somewhat grey when it comes to aftermarket HIDs. So a lot of non dodgy MOT testers are still passing them....sometimes with an advisory sometimes not.

I agree with you about getting blinded a lot by standard lights. I see a lot of cars that have their near side headlight aimed so high, it dazzles. Another phenomenon I am noticing recently on motorways is the occasional driver who thinks it's acceptable to drive down a busy motorway with full beam on.....where do these people learn to drive?

Edited by booke23

Ah ok Booke. Has been a long couple if days so was a little short. Sorry about that.

Another thing I've noticed recently was driving with fogs on with one headlight and foglight out. I just don't get it lol

Chris

Ah ok Booke. Has been a long couple if days so was a little short. Sorry about that.

Don't mention it. :thumbup:

So you find the H7R bulbs quite good......is there much upward scattering of the light?

I have factory HID's in my Octavia, and they are great. I've been experimenting with high output Halogen bulbs in my Fabia, and to be honest wished I hadn't wasted the money/time on them.....they are only very slightly better than standard.

Seriously thinking of H7R HIDs.

I find them quite good really. They don't put out as much as a H7 bulb due to the black filament cover on the bulb. Even with this it is far far brighter and illuminates more of the road. With them aligned its not a bad cut off but don't get me wrong, not a patch on projectors.

Chris