continentals 225 x 40 x 18

greatdane

we have a vrs dsg estate its done 12,000 miles and wife drives like a vicar I never drive it but just checked the tryes and

there nearly down to the markers!!!!!!!! on the front

checked pressure in petrol cap lid it says 2.1 bar- 30.5 front and 2.2 bar 32 in rear checked pressures and fine?

so can not belive after 12,000 steady miles I need 2 fronts already

was thinking of swapping fronts to rear and then getting 4 goodyears asymmetric 2.s

any body else had dismal milage from continentals?

on my old twindoor had to change the continentals on the front at the same mileage .

i am like you self just drive the car steady looking for good fuel returns .

it seems you have to steer clear of the brands that claim to have lots of grip they are the ones that wear out quick.people who drive steady don't need all that grip.

bill

I am around 18K on mine (difficult to be exact as I use winter tyres as well) and they still have a few K’s left in them yet.

Sorry but IMO 12K miles is not right if the pressures are correct and she is driving it gently.

I am just coing up to 12.5k on my continentals and the front ones need replacing. I have used them for years on different cars (previous two were a BMW series then a CLK 350) and was getting similar sort of mileage on the drive wheels with oth of them as well. They are good tyres for grip etc but as you are experiencing not the best for wear. I would say the mileage on the drive wheels sounds about normal for the conti's

just been looking on internet at best tyres for wear and goodyear keeps coming up!

autoexpress tests showed goodyears best but more for grip/ wet/dry braking which I am not too fussed about just want a decent hard wearing tyre.

was going to phone tyremen up for a chat but will they no?

I have used 225/45/17s Cont Contact 3s on my 2.0TDi. Good grip, absolutely dire in the snow but not wonderful for mileage either.

Currently got Maxxis Maz 1 and have got 16,000 from the fronts. About to change all 4, ouch, and looking at Goodyear Eagle Ass2 from Event Tyres. (mobile fitters) Your size are listed at £133.80 but there is a further £10 fuel voucher off each tyre.

http://www.event-tyr...p?make=goodyear

Don't know if you've checked prices but I have used them before and they were very good.

Hope the Eagles are as good as the reviews.

I love continental tyres for there performance but as everyone says they don't last long. If you drive like miss daisy buy some eco tyres that last for 30k miles.

I've just fitted some new conti contact 5's on the front (conti contact 3's on the back) and they are good....very good even when unleashing 380ftlbs mid corner in the wet with temps well below 4 degrees. On a warm dry road they should pretty special.

• 2 weeks later...

I am just about to change my Continentals 5 on the front of mine. I managed just under 20K but that mostly motorway. Does anyone else find Continentals to be very bad in the cold? I'm going to give Michelin a try next.

• 2 weeks later...

I just don't understand how people wear down these Conti's so quickly. I don't exactly hang around, yet my factory fitted SC2's lasted 30k miles before I replaced them and even then they still had some meat on them.

The rears (now fronts) are the other 2 from the factory which are now at 33k and will last me to 40k.

This is the reason I replaced the 2 worn ones with SC5's.

I just don't understand how people wear down these Conti's so quickly.

Tyre wear is not just about how you drive, but also the type of driving you do.

The same driver can get 25k+ out of a set of tyres when driving long motorway journeys, but only 10-15k when their journeys are short urban / country twisty roads.

I use to commute a few years ago up & down the A1, racking up 50k a year & would change the fronts twice a year. Now my work has changed I mainly travel around town and a few back roads and only do 12k a year and struggle to get more than a year out of a set :(

• 2 weeks later...