312mm's on a Monte - What do I need?

Hi,

After coming from a mk.1 Octavia (owned 10 years from new) with quite possibly the best brake setup in the country (360mm APRacing 6 pots up front and 330mm rears, Castrol SRF fluid, DS2500 Feredo pads and Stainless brake lines) I find the Monte's brakes a little feeble at higher speeds, round town they are more than up to the job, but I feel something a little more substantial is required.

Thinking of getting 312mm's up front and at some point possibly convert the rears to (vented) 256mm - the same as the mk.1 vRS Octavia. The rears I reckon will be quite a big job - possibly not worth it considering the brake bias.

What size are the Monte's fronts? Im guessing 256mm? Also going to be fitting some Hosetechniks stainless brake lines and Ferodo pads.

Any info and/or tips welcome.

Steve. :)

Personally dont get why you would bother, the Monte is not fast enough to worry about bigger brakes.

How fast are you going everywhere for this to be an issue?

I tend to be going faster than I should and often brake from just over 100mph - 20mph yet cant say I have ever thought my brakes are not upto the job.

I certainly would not waste time and money doing the rears and just upgrade the fronts if you really feel the need too, though personally as I say think its a waste of money unless you do alot of track racing or something.

Personally dont get why you would bother, the Monte is not fast enough to worry about bigger brakes.

How fast are you going everywhere for this to be an issue?

I tend to be going faster than I should and often brake from just over 100mph - 20mph yet cant say I have ever thought my brakes are not upto the job.

I certainly would not waste time and money doing the rears and just upgrade the fronts if you really feel the need too, though personally as I say think its a waste of money unless you do alot of track racing or something.

I certainly don't drive like a loon - I do a lot of duel carriageway and motorway....but I am aware of their limitations. Good or better brakes are a far better mod than anything else you can do to a car.... As I can source the parts cheap and fit it all myself I have no issue in the cost repercussions.

I've thought about upgrading the fronts, don't think i'd bother with the rears though due to the amount of work.

It's not about how fast you drive, it's how fast you'd like to stop, and i've been suprised at how long it takes to stop at times after an initial good bite from the brakes on my monte.

• 2 weeks later...

Just reviving this thread...

What exactly will I require to upgrade to 312mm.

Can I re-use the calliper and just replace the carrier and disc? I know a lot have done this going from 288mm to 312mm, not sure whether I can do this here though....

Or do I need to change the whole lot??

Steve.

Hi Steve.

I've been looking into this for a 312mm Front Upgrade with also Ferodo DS2500s for my vrs. But from what I gather you have to change the whole lot, calipers, carriers and discs.

I was given a link to a set of Mk4 Golf 312mm on ebay.. with or without discs and pads. Will PM you now! :)

• Like 1

Its something I've been looking into aswell, its the Caliper & carrier you would require along with discs and pads. Apparently you can re-use the old brake hoses, but you get ones from the car that has the 312mm set up on, it gives a bit more slack.

• Like 2