Highest mileage 1.8T - must be a contender?

Impressive! I still have to beat this opinion my parents/family/friends have of cars being dead once they reach 100k miles and being a liability past even 60-80k. My diesel is on 114 and the engine is lovely, sure the cars got a popping noise from the suspension atm and the air con clutch squeals a bit but fundamentally it drives fantastically and returns stupid MPG. I was planning to replace it with a VRS or something sportier but I'm having a hard time justifying that given its such a good car.

Get a vrs...... I used to drive Nissan 350's, 370's, Skylines and GTR's every other day. My vrs put a similar smile on my face to all but the Skylines and GTR's. Awesome car for the money. Just trying to justify keeping mine at the minute :'(

• Like 1

Impressive and you can help us lower milers - (149400 in my case - since new)

I have just had a Coil Pack go down. I had one go down 6 months ago so this time decided to change all three old ones as they seem to last 140000 -150000 miles-ish (Is this anything to do with remapping)

But what other parts wear quicker than the engine?

In 278000 have you changed any major component. For example Alternator or Starter or Fuel pump. All these things could leave you stranded if they failed. Like the coil packs which is why i changed them all.

Is there anything else that wears out and can mean calling out the Breakdown services?

What about cooling hoses. Should they be changed after 10 years? I know the Red antifreeze keeps the insides of the system amazingly clean like the crown jewels but the rubber may be getting perished.

Any thoughts will be good to see.

as long as you have an engine that isnt going to eat itself from the inside out then high miles is easy. Regular oil and filters and the all important Cambelt at the proper intervals. Fix anything that needs it and its all good. theres a Mercedes that a guy had as a taxi (bought in Germany but a taxi in greece) with nearly 3million on it :D granted he did have three engines in rotation but they were a commercial outfit. THe volvo is truly impressive on this page http://www.mnn.com/g...llion-mile-cars

• 2 weeks later...

Its not my car, but a full set of coilpacks is a good idea.

Impressive and you can help us lower milers - (149400 in my case - since new)

I have just had a Coil Pack go down. I had one go down 6 months ago so this time decided to change all three old ones as they seem to last 140000 -150000 miles-ish (Is this anything to do with remapping)

But what other parts wear quicker than the engine?

In 278000 have you changed any major component. For example Alternator or Starter or Fuel pump. All these things could leave you stranded if they failed. Like the coil packs which is why i changed them all.

Is there anything else that wears out and can mean calling out the Breakdown services?

What about cooling hoses. Should they be changed after 10 years? I know the Red antifreeze keeps the insides of the system amazingly clean like the crown jewels but the rubber may be getting perished.

Any thoughts will be good to see.

Thanks

My fault for not clicking the link before responding. I was so taken with the mileage and my recent coil pack troubles I was wondering about other components.

I have seen some good input since - thanks to karlbar2K

However I just wonder - should I change the starter. How long do the alternators last what about the water pump etcetc

Thanks

My fault for not clicking the link before responding. I was so taken with the mileage and my recent coil pack troubles I was wondering about other components.

I have seen some good input since - thanks to karlbar2K

However I just wonder - should I change the starter. How long do the alternators last what about the water pump etcetc

I could be idiotic saying this, but I wouldn't change the starter or alternator until they die or you get a REALLY good deal on them. I would make sure engine and suspension weren't gonna fall out the bottom of the car first.

Mine is a daily driver and does 25-30K PA

I bought it at 72K and it just turned 150K this week and apart from regular oil and filters at 10K interval (semi synth as well not fully synth) I upgrade things when they break, the most expensive breakage being the gearbox (upgraded to S3 6spd one - big job but worth it in the long run)

I have gone through lots of coil packs but found that when I went to the Hitaxhi bolt down ones that I had far less trouble. I am now running the MK6 2.0T coil packs and they are the dogs danglies.

shocks have been changed to Bilstein B6 and looking at the build quality they should be good for at least another 150K if not more as the ones that came off were the originals.

Battery was the original up untill a couple of weeks ago - again this has been replaced with an upgraded one.

Basically each time my car breaks, it gets a bit better :D

water pump its best to check if it has been changed for a metal impellor one when they change the Cam belt. if its a plastic one then its recommended that they change it.

I'd recommend changing the water pump with every belt change regardless of type, myself, on these. Even the metal impellor ones aren't expensive, and it's a PITA if they DO go, and you have to take the belt off again.

Mine is a daily driver and does 25-30K PA

I bought it at 72K and it just turned 150K this week and apart from regular oil and filters at 10K interval (semi synth as well not fully synth) I upgrade things when they break, the most expensive breakage being the gearbox (upgraded to S3 6spd one - big job but worth it in the long run)

I have gone through lots of coil packs but found that when I went to the Hitaxhi bolt down ones that I had far less trouble. I am now running the MK6 2.0T coil packs and they are the dogs danglies.

shocks have been changed to Bilstein B6 and looking at the build quality they should be good for at least another 150K if not more as the ones that came off were the originals.

Battery was the original up untill a couple of weeks ago - again this has been replaced with an upgraded one.

Basically each time my car breaks, it gets a bit better :D

water pump its best to check if it has been changed for a metal impellor one when they change the Cam belt. if its a plastic one then its recommended that they change it.

What are the B6 (yellow)? like for ride quality compared to standard?