having a nightmare can anyone help

Just had some new front springs fitted to my 54plate vrs and now the gap between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch is around 3 inches way to high! I know they might settle a bit but after reading a few threads on here I think my mechanic has been supplied the wrong springs. he has checked with the supplier and they have assured him they are for the vrs

Problem is how can I prove they are not the correct ones

I have checked and double checked the height. the standard height for a vrs measuring from ground to top of wheel arch through the centre of the wheel should be around 160mm mine measures 185mm I spoke to skoda and they told me the springs are colour coded 4 yellow dots and one pink /violet I can confirm these were on my old ones not checked the new ones yet as I am at work but will check when I get home

Skoda told me I could take the car in to them for them to take a look I just hope if they are wrong I can get some proof and get my money back

Can anyone advise me further

Cheers

VRS springs are a TPS/dealer part only. Many motor factors have them listed for VRS, but they are not VRS they are in fact standard 1.9 TDI springs.

Edited by pauldazzle

ive had none standard vrs springs from a motor factors ?

They'll be wrong then!

Seen loads of posts about people being supplied the wrong springs for VRS from Motor Factors. There's a long post on this forum somewhere where someone had a battle with kwikfit when they supplied the wrong springs for his VRS. With the help of briskoda he finally got them to admit the springs were in fact wrong although they were listed as for VRS.

When I bought my VRS I noticed it wasn't sitting evenly at the rear, & it had a MOT fail for a broken rear spring on it's last MOT. Spoke to the previous owner who informed me that he'd bought the replacement VRS spring from a local motor factor. I then bought a spring form the same Motor Factor for the other side, & the car sat evenly, but it didn't look right with it's backside sticking up in the air! I did a bit of research & found that VRS springs are definitely Dealer/TPS only part. I replaced the springs with a genuine VAG, & the car sat correctly.

Just checked definatly no colour code spots on them will be ordering the correct ones from Tps on Mon morning after I have been to see the auto factors place that supplied the wrong ones to see if I can get me 60 quid back. the box on them said 1.8T rs so perhaps there for a 1.8T

Gonna have to do some overtime now to pay the £150 for the correct ones

Can't understand why this happends its a real pain In the backside

Edited by funkymonkey

Just fit H&R 20mm drop fronts instead. Probably cheaper than stock (and undoubtedly better), and IMO the vRS could do with being a little higher on the back-end anyway. In fact, mine being an Estate that's used properly most of the time, I could do with some higher rated springs on the back end, as well as being a little higher than the front.

Just fit H&R 20mm drop fronts instead. Probably cheaper than stock (and undoubtedly better), and IMO the vRS could do with being a little higher on the back-end anyway. In fact, mine being an Estate that's used properly most of the time, I could do with some higher rated springs on the back end, as well as being a little higher than the front.

I have a nearly new set of standard rear springs in my garage! PM me if you want them.

Right i bought some genuine ones from tps took off the ones supplied by the auto factors and compared them they were exactly the same in length and the steel was the same gauge so I concluded that because the old ones were so knackered and 10mm shorter when compared with the new oem ones this in conjunction with new top mounts and bearings that the ride height was correct so i think my car was way to low to begin with and i was used to it

Many thanks to tps for being so understanding and giving me a refund on the parts

The moral of the this story is always buy genuine parts (well the parts that count anyway) and a big thank you to all that replied to this post

Edited by funkymonkey

Right i bought some genuine ones from tps took off the ones supplied by the auto factors and compared them they were exactly the same in length and the steel was the same gauge so I concluded that because the old ones were so knackered and 10mm shorter when compared with the new oem ones this in conjunction with new top mounts and bearings that the ride height was correct so i think my car was way to low to begin with and i was used to it

Many thanks to tps for being so understanding and giving me a refund on the parts

The moral of the this story is always buy genuine parts (well the parts that count anyway) and a big thank you to all that replied to this post

My car's the same height now on coil overs as it was on the standard springs and they were pre set at -20mm lol

Think 145k on original suspension had something to do with it lol

Sent from my Galaxy S3, not a Crapple!

My car's the same height now on coil overs as it was on the standard springs and they were pre set at -20mm lol

Think 145k on original suspension had something to do with it lol

Sent from my Galaxy S3, not a Crapple!

Tyre profile will make a difference in the gap I had 195/40/R17 and I hated the gap so I changed to 195/50/R17 and it looks fine but I do get the bumper catching sometimes but think that's got something to do with my Leon splitter lol