Cruise control stopped working.

Dinski

As the topic says my cruise control stopped working on the M62 today.

I tried it once and it was working I then ended up braking, and then tried to turn on the cruise control again, and nothing!

I tried reseting turning off and on, still it doesn't work.

Now I'm due to swap my car for my new build yeti next month should I just leave it? or should I go back to my dealer and get it repaired now before I change?

I'm tempted to leave it as I won't be using cruise control now till the swap is done.

On the other hand I dot want to have any hiccups when it comes to change if they notice it.

Or does anyone else know what could be wrong? Has anyone had the same thing happen?

Faulty switch on the brake pedel is the usual cause on the octy mk1.

Sounds like it could be the cause as it was working till you braked

Sent from my Galaxy S3, not a Crapple!

• Like 2

If in warranty period and you don't get it sorted I would think no adverse financial consequences for you or Dealer.

If they don't pick it up it could sour your relationship if new purchaser find it and complains...although

probably Dealers fault/problem.

If you get it sorted no dealer problem or new customer problem and peace of mind.

If outside warranty do you take a chance or pay up.??

You choose?

Edited by kibby

I tried it once and it was working I then ended up braking, and then tried to turn on the cruise control again, and nothing!

Now I'm due to swap my car for my new build yeti next month should I just leave it? or should I go back to my dealer and get it repaired now before I change?

I'm tempted to leave it as I won't be using cruise control now till the swap is done.

On the other hand I dot want to have any hiccups when it comes to change if they notice it.

Or does anyone else know what could be wrong? Has anyone had the same thing happen?

Just tell them when you change over, its under warranty they will get paid for the repair, and will be working for the new owner.

They have just had a lot of money out of your pocket so can't see a problem.

• Like 1

Years ago I P/X'd our last unreliable BMW (had three early 1990's models between 98 and 02 only one didn't cause lots of hassle), which the day after suffered total electrics failure and a burnt out speedo module. Dealer rang me not to have a go but to double check the mileage. Wonder sometimes how bothered they are about such things; suppose it's the balance between forecourt and off to auction.

Oh as a thought don't buy a Fabia II vRS from an auction at the moment; one or two out there that go through more oil than petrol.

TP

Was it just the one day it stopped working, or is it not working at all any more?

Every now and then the electrics play up and switching off the car and restarting can reset everything.

That's modern Canbus electrics for you. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As per the first two posts. I had this many, MANY, MANY times on my Audi. VAG fits the most stupidist, cheapest brake light switch above the brake pedal and this goes all the time. It's a cheap part and easy to fix - you should even be able to do it yourself. But when it goes the brake lights stop working and as a result the cruise control. (That is how the CC knows you pressed the brake to switch off the CC, it is not by you pressing the pedal, it is deducted from the brake light going on).

If it's the same system as the Octy II I'd be looking at the stalk first and foremost.

I had this on my Scout whilst under warranty. Generally turning the car on and off brought it back as an interim measure until the stalk was swapped out.

It has happened once or twice since outwith warranty. When it becomes a repeat offender I simply plan to clean the stalk as per these instructions:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fvwfanatic.dk%2FTips%2FGolf5GRA.html&sl=da&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

In your case I'd simply tell the dealer at trade-in as has been mentioned, the car is still under warranty.

Niall

This is a common problem with VAG cruise controls - I had it on my last Octavia. Caused by dirty contacts in the steering column switch.

It came up on the Octavia forum and someone posted a link to the cleaning procedure. Can't find the thread but this is the procedure:

Octavia Cruise Control Switch cleaning.pdf

Edited by eccleshill
  • Like 1
  • Love it! 1

Only just, checked back on this, wow what a response! Thank you to everyone you have all been very helpfuland some iinteresting points have been made.

The good news is its started working again. On my journey to work this morning I got on to the bypass and thought I'd give it a try and it worked first time, and now seems to be working every time.

I've no idea why it stopped but I'm just glad it seems to be working again.

So again thanks to everyone who has replied.

If all else fails you should also check that the clutch pedal switch is operating correctly (using VCDS/VAG-COM). On my Audi A2 the cruise stopped working and that proved to be the problem.

David

If all else fails you should also check that the clutch pedal switch is operating correctly (using VCDS/VAG-COM). On my Audi A2 the cruise stopped working and that proved to be the problem.

David

David: the Audi I was referring to above was also an A2! Great minds think alike eh!

My phone would not connect today......a case of gremlins as well......this was sorted with a reboot of the phone.

I noticed it as I was unusually using Tom Tom on the iPhone and normally it is silent, but today it was talking. Normally it tries to connect to the Bluetooth, but only speaks through the car speakers it you press the BT button on the media screen when it is lit. It is not lit when not giving instructions even when 'connected'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David

I had a similar problem that is probably related to the clutch switch. I discovered that if my foot was touching the clutch pedal (just touching,not riding) when I selected C/C it wouldn't work. Moved foot and it was OK, probably a hair trigger switch but now I'm aware it's been OK.

Fred