vcds logs to check for remap

hyte1

Hi,

Had my Fabia vrs for coming up a year and a half, had no issues with it and it drives great. However I've always wondered if it's remapped. I bought it from a Skoda dealer as 'standard' however soon discovered a green cotton panel filter about a month after ownership. I have removed this and put it back it a standard filter. There are no other engine mods that I can see but it seems to pull very well for 130bhp. I've just got around to getting a cheap ebay cable with vcds. Never used it for logging before so not sure if I've logged the correct thing. I read group 11 shows turbo boost and should be around 1.4bar but not sure how to interpret the results regarding this. Also logged torque but unsure how accurate this can be? Any vcds experts out there who can understand this lot!

Thanks.

screenshot uploaded here:

http://postimage.org/image/cqomzy76z/

Edited by hyte1

Clean the green panel filter, re-oil it, let it dry and put it back.

Then put the car on a dyno and find out what it actually produces.

Even if you knew what remap it had, unless you dyno it, you're not really any the wiser.

Guest BigJase88

Requested intake pressure is 2592 which is just below 1.6 bar

Basically take away 1000 from the value. Then divide that value by 1000 to get it into bar

My mapped pd150 is requesting 2592 also so id guess your running quite high

panel filter wasnt in great condition so i chucked it. If it looks like its mapped i might need to arrange a dyno to double check tho. makes you wonder how many other 'standard' cars are out there with secrets maps on!

You would think buying from a skoda dealer they would have checked or known! Still done over 20k miles with no problems touch wood.

Guest BigJase88

And as your logging 2 channels at once i cant quite give you an accurate torque value as the rpm readings are too far apart!

Log one channel at a time

But 374nm translates to 275lb/ft but your probably running more than that

Whats the easiest way to check if my car has a standard turbo? Is it on the turbo itself? Makes me wonder if its still got the original kkk unit or if thats been uprated to accomodate the map.

Guest BigJase88

No easy way! You'll have to get a spy of the plate on the turbo

You can try it by taking some random snaps down the back of your engine with a camera or its a crawl under the car job

Kkk turbo has a blue name plate

garrett is just stamped

Pd130 is gt1749va (can be garrett or most likely kkk)

Pd150 is gt1749vb (garrett)

A mapped 130 turbo isnt the end of the world my old one was faultless :)

Ill have a look under the hood tomorrow. As i say the car runs sweet as a nut and has done since day 1, ive done over 20k on my daily trip to work and back and im very happy with it. I just always thought it had too much go for a 130. Thanks for your help. Will repost soon with better logs.

Log groups 1 (tells you how much fuel is being injected), 3 (how much air is being drawn through the MAF sensor) and group 8 (tells you info about the 3 furling maps). You've already logged 11 which shows its had the boost increased.

ok so starting with Group 8. This show the 3 fueling request maps. Drivers request (go pedal), Torque map and smoke map. Lowest value wins. On a standard car the torque map is used to archive the power output. (but lowest values always wins so if forever reason their wasn't enough air then the smoke map would take over). Standard ASZ (BLT is different) is 56mg at 1900rpm dropping to 47mg at 4000rpm, after that it drops off. In your case the TL has just been maxed so the smoke map takes charge which is 59.8 for most of the range.

Group 1. This tells you (like above) how much fuel is being requested. In your case 59.8 for most of the range. However in the ecu are a number of calibration maps. These maps tell the ecu how long the injectors need to stay open for (duration) to archive x mg. In your case this has been altered, see duration column.. For example if the ecu requests 60mg, because the calibration maps have been altered you will no longer get 60mg but more (depending how they are altered). So in effect the ECU no longer has complete control of how much fuel to inject. Tuning box anyone? :)

Ok, so i guess i need to check for a nasty tuning box. Ive not noticed one, but havnt specificly looked either, will take a look tomorrow. Any pointers on where to look exactly? Where do they normally plug into?

Engine is BLT by the way. Thanks for taking the time to look and post.

Guest BigJase88

Engine block to right hand side usually connects to injector wiring loom

As specified boost is higher than stock id suggest you dont have a tuning box but do infact have a remap

Thanks, ill check tomorrow. Also want to get a glance at the turbo to see if thats the original kkk.

An unknown map i'd be ok with given no issues in 20k miles but a tuning box wuld be getting removed asap! Heard they are bad news!

It hasn't got a tuning box. Tuning boxes edit furling after the ecu, so the ecu is unaware of changes. Only way to detect a tuning box through logs is group 11 for boost. Reason is the increased fueling by the tuning box indirectly increases turbo boost. Requested stays the same but actual is increased.

I mentioned tuning box as the fueling calibration maps have been altered so the ecu no longer has full control.

Oh and log them seperate to get the best sample rate. Do a run from 2000rpm to redline.

Are these runs required "under load". Only asking as I have a Blacksmoke map and would like to log before/after values.

• Like 1