tsi 1.2 105 power issue?

Bought new 1.2 tsi 105 a couple of months ago. Have read how sweet the 1.2 engine is. Not sure that ours is yet, but of course it's only got 600 miles on the clock. Have to think carefully about overtaking as am not sure how it'll respond. Find myself having to shift down to 1st too frequently!

No Fabia we've had before has demanded dropping to 1st when turning from the main road onto the hill which leads to our house. 2nd was always fine, and in our previous 1.6 Fabia 3rd was OK too. Similar issues turning onto other hills in 2nd. After the turn have to drop to 1st, just will not pull at all in 2nd.

We may have been spoilt by the 1.6, and certainly were by the power of our other Fabia, the VRS (but of course). We'll give it time to loosen up but this is something not encountered before. Maybe I should try 98 RON (although the whole point of the 1.2 was to reduce the lakes of 98 RON the VRS drank.)

Anyone else encountered anything similar?

I would give the car a bit of a chance to get a few miles on it.

Different revs, gearing , torque etc from your other cars and will need what ever gear it needs.

More revving once run in a bit.

Really comparing something very different there from a 1.6.

I doubt that using a higher octane petrol is going to make much difference in the circumstances you are describing.

(97 RON Sainsburys Super will maybe be the same price as the 95 RON you are using)

george

Just drive it. Rev more up hill. you can go to 3/4 of the rev range for the first 1000 miles then you can go to red line. Do not worry about over taking. Once the turbo kicks in you will see and feel the difference.you should not have to go into 1st when turning keep in 2nd and rev more. The gear change indicator in the display tells you when you need to change if it does not point down keep the gear you are in

Ive never felt the need to shift down to 1st gear when turning off any roads.

I mainly drive it in the range from 1500rpm to 2000rpm and that is where it feels quite fast. It definitly does not feel like a 1.2 engine at least.

Ive never had any problems going down to 1000rpm but the throttle respons down there is really slow..

Although i find it quite easy to make the engine stall.. But im used to a 270hp 2.3 turbo engine..

I guess really low RPM's is where you notice that it really is a 1.2 engine, especially when trying to reverse over some obstacles where i have to give it a bit more gas but instead ends up stalling the engine.. :D

My car is a 1.2 TSI 86hp which ive been driving from 0miles untill today at about 2400miles

Edited by Snowman89

We had a roomster 12 tsi 105bhp , and yes these cars with this type of engine do exactly what the OP discribed , it is called " turbo lag " even after 10,000 miles the engine was the same as new , unfortunatly you have to change your style of driving , once you have changed you will find this engine as sweet as a nut , drive it hard and you will get enjoyment out of your car , nothing sweeter when traveling 70/80 mph on the motorways , get used to the turbo lag and "o" boy what a sweet car you will have ( try driving an Insigna 2.0 diesel 130 bhp , this car has loads of turbo lag ) as said the 1.2 tsi 105bhp is a sweet engine

Also have the 1.2, 105 engine but with the DSG box (in a Roomster) . To keep the engine in the power range the DSG box will keep revs above 2k when in sport mode but closer to 1.1k for D mode. The DSG box rarely holds on to 1st for long, shifting into 2nd very quickly an only keeping the lower gear when the car is fully laden with passengers (maybe to do with the 7 speed box ratios).

For on tap power you need the revs at 2.5k or higher, anything below this you will notice a lag before the power kicks in.

As other have already mentioned what your experiencing is simply turbo lag, only way to fix the issue is to adjust your driving style really.

The turbo lag on the 1.2 tsi is nothing compared to most turbo cars, though can catch you out I suppose. I cant say it has ever effected me, though I drive with a lot of conviction lets say. If its not bouncing off the limiter everywhere I go then I aint in the car. (Slight exaggeration obviously)

Agreed with all above, you are at too low revs for the turbo to be operating. The 1.2, off turbo, will feel like a 1.2 and a weak one at that so keep the revs @ 1400+ and the torque will stomp all over what the 1.6 put out at pottering speeds. Equally make sure you use the engine a bit, getting those revs up from time to time to aid the running in process, you really don't want the engine straining at very low engine speeds.

Our fairly new Monte TSI 86 has 1600 miles under it's belt so far and I've noticed a need for dropping to lower gears to keep momentum up on an incline but it's improving as the engine begins to loosen up. Regard turbo lag at low speeds, then the latest engine upgrades/updates are a noticeable improvement over our previous early production Elegance TSI 85.

TP