Golf GTD mark 7 - engine preview for diesel vRS

Spotted this today http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=27166

It has performance and economy figures for the Golf GTD giving us an idea of what to expect from the Octavia vRS mark 3 diesel. We've seen some figures already but I haven't seen MPG and CO2 anywhere yet for this engine.

For the three door Golf:

MPG of 67.3

CO2 109g/km

These are very impressive if the Octy achieves close to these figures. More power, less weight and better economy sounds like a winner to me!

Looking forward to seeing the Octy unveiled at Goodwood this year - my first time attending it!

Spotted this today http://www.pistonhea...p?storyId=27166

It has performance and economy figures for the Golf GTD giving us an idea of what to expect from the Octavia vRS mark 3 diesel. We've seen some figures already but I haven't seen MPG and CO2 anywhere yet for this engine.

For the three door Golf:

MPG of 67.3

CO2 109g/km

These are very impressive if the Octy achieves close to these figures. More power, less weight and better economy sounds like a winner to me!

Looking forward to seeing the Octy unveiled at Goodwood this year - my first time attending it!

The figures for the new Leon FR TDI are:

65.7mpg

CO2 - 112g/km

I should think the Octavia will come in closer to the Leon but still impressive figures

It wont be a great deal quicker than the current vRS CR, will probably hit 60 in 7.9/8 secs. Half a second isnt going to be all that noticeable. V impressed with the likely MPG and CO2 output though; vast improvement.

...also the vRS in both guises may or may not get stop start; both the Leon and Golf will to achieve these figures. Not sure I like the idea of stop start on a sporty car; particularly if you have to turn it off each time its driven

...also the vRS in both guises may or may not get stop start; both the Leon and Golf will to achieve these figures. Not sure I like the idea of stop start on a sporty car; particularly if you have to turn it off each time its driven

Why would you want to turn it off? I have it on my S4 and it causes me no bother.

1) it saves petrol in urban driving

2) it reduces your VED rating via lower CO2 emissions

3) you can actually control if the engine stops (on DSG models) by the amount of pressure you press on the brake after you stop.

I wasn't sure about start / stop at first, but after living with it in a 'sporty' car for a few weeks the pros definitely outway the cons :)

Why would you want to turn it off? I have it on my S4 and it causes me no bother.

1) it saves petrol in urban driving

2) it reduces your VED rating via lower CO2 emissions

3) you can actually control if the engine stops (on DSG models) by the amount of pressure you press on the brake after you stop.

I wasn't sure about start / stop at first, but after living with it in a 'sporty' car for a few weeks the pros definitely outway the cons :)

And it also shuts the engine off after a heavy blat... which is the main reason I dislike the system. The number of new 'performance' cars Ive driven hard recently and then come off the motorway or autobahn and onto a slip.. stop at the lights at the top and... off it switches! Im totally OCD about letting turbos run on and cool before switching off so maybe its just me but I cant help but think that there are going to be a number of early component failures on cars with stop start systems even though the main components have apparently been uprated to cope. I do howver appreciate theres an in town economy benefit of the systems. :)

Just to add when purchasing my golf mk6 I did think about waiting for the mk7, however when one of the main guys in the garage said " it's gone on a very hard diet and isn't built as well" as they've really cut down on build time by 50% , so I plummed for the mk6 :)

Just to add when purchasing my golf mk6 I did think about waiting for the mk7, however when one of the main guys in the garage said " it's gone on a very hard diet and isn't built as well" as they've really cut down on build time by 50% , so I plummed for the mk6 :)

Erm, I believe that was actually the Mk5 to the Mk6 - reducing the 48 hour build time of the mk5 was their biggest priority for the Mk6. Their aim was to halve it as Ford take around 11 hours with the Focus, as an example. :)

Heh!

That's just salesmen telling you what you want to hear.

The next person through the door who asked about the Mk7 would have been told how much better it was than the Mk6 because of all the weight they have saved.

Heh!

That's just salesmen telling you what you want to hear.

The next person through the door who asked about the Mk7 would have been told how much better it was than the Mk6 because of all the weight they have saved.

Haha probably :D

And it also shuts the engine off after a heavy blat... which is the main reason I dislike the system. The number of new 'performance' cars Ive driven hard recently and then come off the motorway or autobahn and onto a slip.. stop at the lights at the top and... off it switches! Im totally OCD about letting turbos run on and cool before switching off so maybe its just me but I cant help but think that there are going to be a number of early component failures on cars with stop start systems even though the main components have apparently been uprated to cope. I do howver appreciate theres an in town economy benefit of the systems. :)

But that was the point I was trying to make, I can choose if I want the engine to shut of each time I stop by the amount of pressure I apply to the brake pedal.

If you have just had a blast, leave it running otherwise shut it off & save petrol. It is really easy and after a while you don't even think about it, it becomes second nature. :)

If these are the manufactures quoted MPG figure, based on experience you need to knock a min of 10mpg off that figure, I have yet to hear of anyone that has achieved manufacturers claims in real world driving.

But that was the point I was trying to make, I can choose if I want the engine to shut of each time I stop by the amount of pressure I apply to the brake pedal.

If you have just had a blast, leave it running otherwise shut it off & save petrol. It is really easy and after a while you don't even think about it, it becomes second nature. :)

Ah ok, but you need the DSG box I assume for that to work? I'd just be very tempted to use VCDS and switch it off completely if it was mine. :)

Ah ok, but you need the DSG box I assume for that to work? I'd just be very tempted to use VCDS and switch it off completely if it was mine. :)

Yeah mines DSG, not sure on manual. I was tempted to switch it off after a few days as its strange at first, but after living with it for a month I don't even think about the operation.

The other thing to note is that the engine will not switch off if certain conditions are / are not met. i.e. engine temp, outside temp, battery drain etc. So I believe a lot of engine parameters & safety worries are taken into consideration.

Yeah mines DSG, not sure on manual. I was tempted to switch it off after a few days as its strange at first, but after living with it for a month I don't even think about the operation.

The other thing to note is that the engine will not switch off if certain conditions are / are not met. i.e. engine temp, outside temp, battery drain etc. So I believe a lot of engine parameters & safety worries are taken into consideration.

Yep, same with all the ones Ive used which it why, realising it was fairly intelligent as above, I was gobsmacked when it just shut it off when the turbo and oil were very hot indeed. :( Seems like a big oversight to me. In terms of general driving though, I can see the benefits.

Agreed. In my manual A4 I just knock it into neutral, clutch up, and it stops. I would probably have sat at traffic lights in gear with clutch down before I got the car 3.5 years ago. The engine starts easily quickly enough for most purposes. If you are at the head of the queue at dual carriageway traffic lights and want to race; just leave it in gear ;-) Now I get cross when it does NOT stop (due to the fiendishly complicated conditions you refer to) or when I am in my wife's car without stop / start. Why would anyone wants to leave an engine idling and wasting fuel unnecessarily? (I understand the earlier point about allowing turbos to cool).

If these are the manufactures quoted MPG figure, based on experience you need to knock a min of 10mpg off that figure, I have yet to hear of anyone that has achieved manufacturers claims in real world driving.

I get very close.

45mpg compared to 48mpg quoted.

That's not from the Maxidot either, that's brim to brim calculations.

To be honest, I'm fed up of hearing people say "you need to knock 10mpg for a start", or "you can knock off 30 or 40% in the real world"................yeah, you can.............if you drive like a dickhead. (or you unluckily happen to have a 'Friday afternoon/Monday morning' car)

;)

H

Edited by Herschel

Me too - that 51.1mpg you see in my sig is brim to brim. Official combined is 52.3mpg.

Got 718 miles out of the tank last night. OK, range said zero for the last 15 miles, but I got home ;-)

I get very close.

45mpg compared to 48mpg quoted.

That's not from the Maxidot either, that's brim to brim calculations.

To be honest, I'm fed up of hearing people say "you need to knock 10mpg for a start", or "you can knock off 30 or 40% in the real world"................yeah, you can.............if you drive like a dickhead.

Agreed.

Most people don't change their driving style or patterns, so if you are always charging around in town you'll get 30% less than quoted, but 70% of 65mpg is still a lot better than 70% of 48mpg.

When I was doing a good mixture of long journeys I was getting pretty much spot on the claimed firgures for my Octavias.