Columbus & MDI Option

scottpcs

From reading the DAB thread, I've only just noticed that the MDI is now an option on the Yeti although it is rather pricey for what it does at £175.00. It must have been added very recently as it wasn't an option when we ordered the car on the 27th January.

I have this option as standard on my Fabia vRS and I use it every day with my classic 120Gb iPod but just how useful is it considering the Columbus (standard on the L&K we've ordered) has a wealth of connectivity already - SD card, HDD and bluetooth?

Unless anything has changed in software / hardware, I was under the impression that the bluetooth only allows you to control the track and volume i.e. you can't search the contents of your phone or iPod such as albums, playlists etc? If so then the MDI could be a worthwhile option to have.

I'm told that the Columbus will also only support SDHC cards up to 32Gb (my music library on the iPod is nearly 80Gb.) Has anyone tried anything larger than this and does it work? I presume that control over contents on an SD card or the internal HDD are the same as what you'd get on the MDI?

Had the MDI option been more like between £50.00 and £100.00 then I'd probably have it added to the order but £175.00 sounds like a lot for something that simply allows you to put a bigger music library in the car?

As the MDI option seems to have been a much sought-after option on the Yeti, I wonder just how many new buyers will be adding it now that it's available?

As the MDI option seems to have been a much sought-after option on the Yeti, I wonder just how many new buyers will be adding it now that it's available?

Me!!

£175 is about what I spent to fit the MDI to my present Elegance.

I used to have the iPod connection in my last Seat, that worked OK but I hated the way iToons sorted my music. I now use SD cards in the Bolero ripping my CDs using wierdows mediocre player in 320 MP3 format, no hanging cables, no fuss and I can play a whole album in the order that it was recorded even if it has guest artists without messing about having to create a 'pray' list. My iPods are now gathering dust. The sound is a lot better as well. I think the Bolero would play bigger cards if they are formatted in FAT32, not sure about the columbus.

how useful is it considering the Columbus (standard on the L&K we've ordered) has a wealth of connectivity already - SD card, HDD and bluetooth?

Charge the iPhone/iPod or connect USB stick/storage. If the mdi is like the SD card it is quite clunky.

Unless anything has changed in software / hardware, I was under the impression that the bluetooth only allows you to control the.....

Volume. (I think)

I'm told that the Columbus will also only support SDHC cards up to 32Gb.

Yes

Me.... If I was replacing mine.

For all things Columbus it is best to ask on the Ice, security & Insurance section as the regulars there know the Columbus inside out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me.... If I was replacing mine.

For all things Columbus it is best to ask on the Ice, security & Insurance section as the regulars there know the Columbus inside out.

Thanks rockhopper, I'll re-post in that section. I didn't realise there was another place dedicated to this sort of thing (shows how far I look on this site!)

Out of interest, what would be your own reasons for ordering the MDI except for charging?

Unless anything has changed in software / hardware, I was under the impression that the bluetooth only allows you to control the track and volume i.e. you can't search the contents of your phone or iPod such as albums, playlists etc? If so then the MDI could be a worthwhile option to have.

To answer this, you need to find out what version of AVRCP the Columbus* has. AVRCP is potentially quite sophisticated now (http://en.wikipedia....ile_.28AVRCP.29) Though, of course, you have to have the same capability t'other end.

I use a Sennheiser bluethooth module on my Ipod classic to link to a motorcycle helmet intercom & it has full functionality (though of course, there's no benefit to the metadata as there are no visuals involved). I've still ordered MDI with my car, though, as Ipod battery life is not great with the bluetooth adapter & I'm 'happy' to pay the £175 just to keep it charged (My car will have Bolero & I didn't bother researching bluetooth version as I always intended including MDI)

Edit: * Just a thought (I'm a bit of a luddite!) isn't this dictated by the car phone prep rather than the HU itself?

Edit(2): Bear this in mind when asking on the ICE forum as some model cars have different versions (GSM II, GSM III, etc.)

Edited by Skoda Al Coda

Haven't had any responses in the ICE section so far, I'm beginning to wonder if anybody even looks in there from the lack of activity!

I think Al Coda is right in that the Bluetooth functionality depends on the GSM implementation (GSM II as i understand - few phones will work over GSM III even if it did have it, despite arguably superior functionality) and of course the features available on both sides of the connection. From what I understand, I don't think that Bluetooth on the Columbus will offer anything more than basic track and volume control, miles apart from what the MDI can offer.

I have tried and failed to connect my iPhone via the MDI in my Fabia in so much as the MDI part works fine but Bluetooth doesn't want to know. If I remember rightly, all is well until you make or receive a call through Bluetooth and then the MDI doesn't work after that. If it did then it'd be worth having MDI just so I can fully control my iPhone via the Columbus whilst both charging it and being able to use the Bluetooth for calls.

Anyone else have any experience in the above or is this still the way it is? Apart from connecting my iPhone in this way, I still can't see what all the fuss is about and why the MDI has been such a sought after option up to now?

Edit: * Just a thought (I'm a bit of a luddite!) isn't this dictated by the car phone prep rather than the HU itself?

sions (GSM II, GSM III, etc.)

You are right. The Columbus does not have Bluetooth.

Bluetooth is dealt with by the box under the drivers seat.

You do not need a head unit for Bluetooth to work.

Quick update.

I've rung the dealer to add the MDI option but they tell me that it can't be added now as the build week has been given?

The build week is currently set at week 15 but I thought the build week wasn't confirmed until about 3 or 4 weeks before the actual build? Is my dealer correct and it can't be done?

He's currently looking into whether it can be dealer fit but it will be Monday before I get to find out.

Scott,

I suspect your dealer is being lazy. He can alter specification but has to send several emails and forms to SUK and the factory.

Obviously he is so busy with the millions of orders he has that he is unable to do this. :giggle:

I think he should be reminded that the customer is king and he should remove his digit from which ever orifice he has put it. :sweat:

• Like 1

I suggest that you phone skoda UK direct and talk to them. I have heard of people getting changes made as little asa week before build date. Hasn't always worked for everyone but worth a try

He's currently looking into whether it can be dealer fit but it will be Monday before I get to find out.

I have been told not available on my Greenline order but can fit at dealer for £300. I'll be doing it myself!!

I suspect your dealer is being lazy. He can alter specification but has to send several emails and forms to SUK and the factory.

Obviously he is so busy with the millions of orders he has that he is unable to do this. :giggle:

Maybe he has been previously drawn into the "someone put me out of my misery" discussion & he's now sat in his chair, rocking to and fro whilst dribbling into his spec sheets :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Maybe he has been previously drawn into the "someone put me out of my misery" discussion & he's now sat in his chair, rocking to and fro whilst dribbling into his spec sheets :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Perhaps so!

I'll make a visit in person to the dealer tomorrow then and play a little hard ball with them.

It does sound bizarre that they can't add something as relatively simple as an MDI with over 6 weeks to go until the build week? I don't remember the car being locked down so early in the build process when I bought the Fabia. As I remember I added the Bluetooth option to it with mere weeks to spare, even after the build week had already been given.

I may even ring Skoda directly before I go just to get their angle on it but I don't expect a clear answer.

I used an enlightened dealer (James Rothwell who used to work for Allams) and I was able to change my order up until 2 weeks before build date.

Scott,

I think he should be reminded that the customer is king and he should remove his digit from which ever orifice he has put it. :sweat:

+1

Thanks for your optimism guys. I shall demand (in a few more words than that) that someone gets on the blower to SUK and sort this out.

I may have to play a little game of call my bluff if it comes to it, depends how many ways they can think of telling me 'it can't be done' first!

Well that was a little too easy.

Paid a visit to the dealer today and after a lengthy explanation from the manager as to why the MDI couldn't be added at this stage, he went to the computer system and tried again to add the option in. Before this he'd mentioned about stages of build and that up to a certain stage, things could be added or changed. My original salesman had tried to do this yesterday apparently but the system refused point blank to let any changes be made, hence assuming that Skoda had locked the order down already at the stage my build is currently at.

Surprisingly for us both, the system didn't put up a fight today and let the dealer add the option in, no problem.

I guess it was just a quirk of the system in that one day it refuses and the next it allows the dealer to change options for whatever reason.

So after all that, I am one happy bunny!

Well done, can you confirm DAB radio is standard spec on the L&K?

According to the brochure, yes it is. It comes with the Columbus unit including DAB.

According to the brochure, yes it is. It comes with the Columbus unit including DAB.

I agree the brochure you can Download from Skoda website says standard in the spec list and then in the options section says it's £200 to add to Columbus for L&K. This is confusing, let's hope it comes as standard and a mess up in the options section.

Edited by gbpxg01