rattling engine. oil light came on. refilled. engine continues to rattle loudly

Exact symptoms I had on my now F***** VRS. Mine turned out to be a blocked strainer, which in turn caused the oil pump to fail and and destroyed engine. I topped mine up to start with as the light came on and it appeared low..... 60 miles later light comes back on.... 5 Miles later and I was phoning the blokes in the yellow vans!

Stop start journeys recently as I`m living alot closer to work now. Milky substance under oil filler cap yes. Topped it up with 2 litres lastnight because I assumed low, still making horrendous rattling at top of engine. Cannot see a drop of oil on the floor.. :/

I've got a mechanic out to it today. I`ve advised him what you are all saying about blocked oil strainer. I`m praying its ok. The oil light was on for a good 10 mins probably lastnight before I got home.

The mechanic thinks the source of the issue may be that I didn`t fit a genuine thermostat when I did the coolant change. I also used halfords coolant rather than the proper skoda stuff. He thinks it may have been over heating which would affect the oil.

Does sound like symptons of oil starvation from a blocked strainer to me Sam. Im not too convinced by your mechanics diagnosis. Drain the oil, get the sump off and take a look at the oil strainer. Buy a new one anyway to be fair as there pennies from TL Darby in Burton m8. I had the oil light come on in mine a few months back, limped it home, bought a new strainer, fitted it and problem solved. Mine didnt rattle though I must admit.

If u need a hand chuck me a call or PM and i'll come take a look.

• Like 1

Has the temp gauge gone into the red? Or the high temp light and beep appeared? If not it hasn't over heated

It's oil starvation causing the rattle. You'll be extremely lucky if the engine is ok

Sent from my Galaxy S3, not a Crapple!

As many others, get a new mechanic because that one clearly thinks you zip up the back (or else does so himself; either way...)

I'm also fairly sure your issues are mayonaise from the short runs and a blocked oil pickup.

I missed the bit there where the oil light was on for 10 minutes. You drove it for 10 minutes with the oil pressure light on?

It's dead mate so save yourself the money of getting people to look at it and start thinking about a new engine

Billy has one for sale in the for sale section and he's way ott with maintenance lol

I'd just get a replacement engine if I was you as you've run it too long with the light on and has the death rattle

Sent from my Galaxy S3, not a Crapple!

Whoever does the job for you,get them to drop a big end cap and main bearing cap,chances are the shells wil be destroyed along with the crankshaft and very likely the turbo bearings will be gone,done at least 6 1.8 t engined cars in the last few months where the oil pump strainer has been choked and the big end shells and crankshaft have took the brunt of it,in nearly all of them it's been down to not getting the oil changed when it should.

• 4 weeks later...

The old pickup pipe was **** up yes! I'm hoping that I haven't run the car long enough for crank bearings to be seriously damaged. The only noise I could hear was hydraulic lifters and to be honest there is no big end knock at all! I checked the cams and there is no damage or serious wear in the top end.

Edited by sammyhale30