How sensitive is the tyre pressure monitoring system?VRS

I think I said it was a bad/daft idea by skoda to at least forgoe the possibility of adding a safety feature to that car, that's all.

He's sitting in my ex-father-in-law's d-reg volvo saloon, ie. no boot... there's no way he'd be propped up on my leather/alcantara numbers!! :o :peek: :giggle:

I think I said it was a bad/daft idea by skoda to at least forgoe the possibility of adding a safety feature to that car, that's all.

He's sitting in my ex-father-in-law's d-reg volvo saloon, ie. no boot... there's no way he'd be propped up on my leather/alcantara numbers!! :o :peek: :giggle:

Isnt it available as standard on the Mk3?

Yeah it is a bloody shame-the tyre is screwed (excuse the pun) because it is to close to the side-wall and no one will repair it there. Its a new tyre as I only brought the car on Wednesday and the first quote I got was £196 to replace like for like :sweat:- A cost I could have done without as I am still trying to convince the wife that a VRS was a necessity! I am pleased that the monitor is there and it definitely flagged up the damage well before I had noticed. Thanks for the information guys.

• Like 1

Have always found it a really useful feature. Like others I have also had it effectively alert me to a nail in my tyre on one occasion. :whew: Just wish I had TPMS on the motorbike - thought of a blow-out on the bike is a far more scary prospect :S

The good point about te Octy TPMS (especially for the VRS) is that, with low profile tyres, a deflated tyre or even a blowout can be less noticeable than it would otherwise as the car doesn't 'drop' so far.

The negative point is that the pressure has to drop soooo far before the TPMS notices! Last time mine bonged the tyre was at 24psi whereas the others were at 33........

'Proper' monitoring would be much more preferable, although as I stated earlier these can (on some makes at least) be prone to damage.

I thought the threshold was 3psi drop, but has to be within a certain distance or time.

As pressures naturally drop the system seems to accept this and store the new value?

Certainly this happens on ours, and having 45 profile they tend to look flat anyway. SWMBO never checks them and wants for the tps to tell her. Had tyres at 24 and as above system didn't flinch.

Test someone posted a while ago was inflate and reset, move car, leave engine running and take at least 3 psi out. When you move off the system should trigger after a few complete wheel revolutions

I thought the threshold was 3psi drop, but has to be within a certain distance or time.

Well i have had my light come on at -6° temp when i checked with the guage it read

30 / 30 / 28 / 29. There isn't 3psi difference so i assumed its also triggered when the total was less than when you

pressed the button. I know that i pressed the button after filling the tyres to 33/33/32/32. Far from being anoyed that

it was a false reading due to the tyres being of similar reading and the temp drop being the cause i was just glad

the monitoring was doing its job and recognising the loss in pressure.

What i can't understand is that if its the wheel speed sensor that triggers the light and it looks for differences how come a

puncture will trigger it as there is very little measurable difference in a circles circumferance than as circle with a flat spot

the perimeter will be the same length its just the shape that will change unless the tyre stretches by a considerable amount.

i can't see 3psi being enough to change the circumferance of the tyre by a measurable amount.

Can you ease off with the attitude please? No need for it!

Whatever.

Notice you weren't so quick to thank me when I've put up complete in-depth threads on how to do certain mods to the octy, eh?

Btw, your apostrophe had a lot more attitude than anything in my post. If you're gonna be a mod, you're supposed to be impartial with your grammar and punctuation. Pots & kettles spring to mind.

Edited by blackspaven

Well i have had my light come on at -6° temp when i checked with the guage it read

30 / 30 / 28 / 29. There isn't 3psi difference so i assumed its also triggered when the total was less than when you

pressed the button. I know that i pressed the button after filling the tyres to 33/33/32/32. Far from being anoyed that

it was a false reading due to the tyres being of similar reading and the temp drop being the cause i was just glad

the monitoring was doing its job and recognising the loss in pressure.

What i can't understand is that if its the wheel speed sensor that triggers the light and it looks for differences how come a

puncture will trigger it as there is very little measurable difference in a circles circumferance than as circle with a flat spot

the perimeter will be the same length its just the shape that will change unless the tyre stretches by a considerable amount.

i can't see 3psi being enough to change the circumferance of the tyre by a measurable amount.

Above you say one tyre set to 32 read 29.the difference is between stored value for each wheel, not against another tyre.

Whatever.

Notice you weren't so quick to thank me when I've put up complete in-depth threads on how to do certain mods to the octy, eh?

Btw, your apostrophe had a lot more attitude than anything in my post. If you're gonna be a mod, you're supposed to be impartial with your grammar and punctuation. Pots & kettles spring to mind.

The comment made was in relation to reading the manual. I've raised this with you in another thread before.

Brisky spirit isn't about RTFM or use search, regardless how many times something is asked or if it us obviously in the manual.

They pull manuals from hire cars usually, could have been lost or whatever. We're here to help each other not chastise over a manual, poor grammar or misspelt words.

Had too many pm's on how hostile long termers and regulars are towards others. Remember you may meet them at the national!

Above you say one tyre set to 32 read 29.the difference is between stored value for each wheel, not against another tyre.

Thats exactly what i mean although probably articulated better than my attempt. Im sure someone earlier said that the system compares the wheels and looks for differenced between the wheels. Where as i always thought it was a difference between the stored value and actual.

I'm not necessarily talking about this thread, but are we really living in a world where it's simpler/lazier to ask an obvious question than do some homework for one's self?? This is an forum for grown-ups and not children who get upset over nothing, corrrect?? It's massively hypocritical to comment on my reference to punctuation without saying that the mod who chastised me shouldn't have put that apostrophe in as it is equally as 'hostile'. Or is it just one big old boy's network who look after each other, cos that is NOT the sort of forum that I wan't to be a part of.

If it's something that's hugely obvious then and can be answered by looking for oneself in the owner's manual, I will in future just put a link to the DELIBERATE STICKY ON THIS VERY FORUM FRONTPAGE which has been made a sticky for a reason BY A MODERATOR. Why was this made a sticky if not to be used as a resource?

Just think it's laziness at times which obscures or pushes down the page more reasonable requests for help on issues that can't be raised by the accompanying paperwork given to all owners at some time, AND available 24/7 on this site THANKS TO THE MODS. This sort of laziness is just fecking annoying and I don't see why it should be pandered to with kid gloves on the offchance that someone gets in a tizzy because they didin't get exactly what they wanted like a spoilt kid. Asking for help on a simple, already explained issue on a forum should be a last resort, not the first call!

If this is what it's becoming, I won't bother contributing and just read instead!

Ffs, this is nothing to do with 'spirit', some people just get a grip on reality and a bit of common sense!!

Edited by blackspaven

Ffs, this is nothing to do with 'spirit', some people just get a grip on reality and a bit of common sense!!

Not wanting to take sides or fan the flames but if you have the ability to empathise can you just put yourself in the position

of the Original Poster who is a new member and then read the very next post that you made thats why i felt compelled to

post a counter arguement that was of a more helpful vein. Sarcasm is the lowest form of whit and it was boardering on

offensive. Im sure you wouldn't have liked it if the boot was on the other foot. That said i do apreciate that people often

ask questions that are available in the owners manual or even common sense. And it must get tedious posting the same

replies. However sometimes people just want an opinion which a book can't give. I always feel its best not to reply unless

its constuctive. Im dont think its an old boys club and the mods / admins do a good job from what i can see.

That said i do apreciate that people often

ask questions that are available in the owners manual or even common sense. And it must get tedious posting the same

replies. However sometimes people just want an opinion which a book can't give.

Don't think you're taking sides at all, just healthy debate, but unfortunately, when the book CAN give the answer, and it's right in front of someone's eyes if they look but choose not to, I don't have any sympathy for that person whatsoever. I wouldn't ask any favours if I had done something like that, and in reply to what gadgetman said about possibly meeting up some of these people, if they questioned me about doing it to them, I would have no truck in saying exactly the same thing to someone's face as on here. If you're gonna hide behind a computer and take potshots, then just don't bother doing it; keyboard warriors who change their view in the real world are just an embarrassment.

It'd actually be quicker to look in the manual via this forum than it would be to ask a question and wait for a response. As I said, this thread is slightly different as there was a second question asked in the paragraph underneath which was quite reasonable, but normally there's absolutely no excuse for not doing a bit of personal study for 2 minutes beforehand.

Quite a mild mannered bloke but I detest with a passion the quick-fix society we're breeding and nurturing.

Edited by blackspaven

In pretty sure that it doesn't have a 'stored value' at all and that compare the wheel/tyre is exactly what it does.

Thats exactly what i mean although probably articulated better than my attempt. Im sure someone earlier said that the system compares the wheels and looks for differenced between the wheels. Where as i always thought it was a difference between the stored value and actual.

I think it was me who said that - and it seems to be the party line:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/196293-tire-pressure-monitoring/

It's difficult to explain without pictures but whilst a wheel with a flat tyre might look like a circle with a flat spot, when the wheel turns the flat spot will stay at the bottom - so actually the effect is simply a smaller circle. The following maths might not be great as I've been on the beer, but the diameters and circumferences have been checked on online calculators so it should be correct:

According to t'interweb, a standard 225/45/18 tyre has a diameter of 25.972 inches. If we consider a fairly flat tyre to appear (at the bottom) to have more like a 30 profile then the diameter will be just 23.315 inches.

Now, the circumference of a circle with a 25.972 inch diameter is 81.593 inches whereas the circumference of a circle with a 23.315 inch diameter is 73.246 inches. In other words, by he time the 'flat' tyre has rotated once, the other tyres are only 90% of the way round. By the time the three inflated tyres have turned nine times the flat has turned ten times! The ABS/ESP sensor can work this out and activates the TPMS warning.

Obviously the above assumes a huge loss in pressure. Smaller losses will take longer to register and I think that's why people say that pressure differences of 3psi or more (vs the other wheels) should be picked up within 10 km of driving.......

• Like 1

Quite a mild mannered bloke but I detest with a passion the quick-fix society we're breeding and nurturing.

But this isn't how you're replies read, and the reply I've partially quoted along with its predecessor the you come across as very abrupt and aggressive.

If repeated questions answered else where annoy you, why reply?

If you were the op, based on your replies I can't imagine you'd take such replies yourself. If you look into the forum archives I'd imagine a large majority of content is repeated time and again in some form or other. Possibly something you've previously posted had been asked before you. But did you get a frosty response?

Sorry if the community spirit, as detailed in the guidelines upset you, but this is what Colin has created and the reason people like briskoda over some other similar sites.

Yeah it is a bloody shame-the tyre is screwed (excuse the pun) because it is to close to the side-wall and no one will repair it there. Its a new tyre as I only brought the car on Wednesday and the first quote I got was £196 to replace like for like :sweat:- A cost I could have done without as I am still trying to convince the wife that a VRS was a necessity! I am pleased that the monitor is there and it definitely flagged up the damage well before I had noticed. Thanks for the information guys.

I've had my VRS for a year now,and only had the light come on twice. Once when the light came on & I didn't know what it was, so I pulled the car over got the manual out, then duly made my way to the next petrol station to check the tyre pressures & reset the sensor.

The second cost me £200 quid, when I found "2" screws in the OSR tyre :-O. Personally, I'm glad it's there. I do a lot of motorway driving.

I think its great. Mine came on a few weeks ago along with a "Please check your tyres" message on the maxi-dot. Visually the tyre didnt even look like it had lost any air, the only way I knew whch one it was was by the sound of the air hissing out...... it had a large self tapping screw in the centre but luckily was repairable.