New here with a few questions

After introducing myself, I thought I`d nip over here and start asking a few questions to learn some more about the Superb prior to going out looking for one.

I`ve read a lot of the threads here but I`m still a bit confused about some of the terminology, equipment and reliability.

I fancy buying an Elegance with as many options as possible (I do like my gadgets), a DSG box and possibly a diesel but I`m not sure about that yet.

My first question is. I`m aware of many people having DPF problems, not just with Skodas but mith most cars, the 8th Gen Honda Accord being a prime example. Does the Skoda suffer any more or less from DPF problems than any other car. I won`t be charging up and down the motorway on a daily basis but I am aware that DPFs need some heat putting through them to keep them clean.

I`ve read the thread here and other places about the DSG box. Is it a weak link in this car or have some people just been unlucky. In general terms is it something to avoid.

With regards to options, I know the Superb Elegance is packed with kit and I know that apart from Skoda dealers, some car dealers are simply not aware of what kit is on the Elegance. For example one dealer I recently visited didn`t know that the back could be opened as either a boot or a hatch until I pointed it out. So what options are there over and above the standard Elegance spec and how do I spot whether they are fitted in the absence of the dealer knowing.

I know how to spot whether a car is fitted with heated rear seats and the optical parking system, what about the heated front screen. How do I spot whether that is fitted? and is there anything else that could be fitted.

I should add that my budget is about £12000 so I`m guessing I`m looking at getting maybe a 59 plate with average mileage.

When was the paddle shift fitted to replace the option to flick the gearstick to manually change gear, or have I got that wrong.

And, lastly has anybody had any experience of pairing the Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE to the bluetooth system, does it work OK

A lot of questions I know and i have been through a lot of the threads but like I said I couldn`t find a definitive answer to some of the questions

There many threads on DPF on this site but my journey is about 25 miles each way with about 4 1/2 miles on A & B roads and 19 on motorway doing 56-60 mph. I have not had any problems with the DPF in 12000 miles. So apart from going through the gears I am not doing more than 2000rpm most of the time.

Thanks Danny, that's good to know. Like I said, I'm aware that problems could exist with DPFs in any car but I think I know how to possibly avoid them

Just buy and enjoy! every car/make has a 'weak' link of some sort, heres just a few from skoda!- (1.8T coil packs) (mk1 superb water ingress) (mk2 fabia vrs oil usage) etc, but all i can say is my mk2 superb has been great- the only two real niggles for me seem to be (a) slight creaking noise from the left of the dash (only when cold) which is commented on in this site and B) i find the 18 inch wheels on the elegance a bit crashy over pot holes and bad roads (i live in the sticks of Dorset) but really, that is all i can complain about and have yet to make any attempt to fix the creaking dash. Part of me is considering changing the 18's to the greenline 16's alloy for more comfort and cheaper tyres. The 18s obviously have a lower profile and seem to translate? the road problems more than my wifes fabia on 15 inch steels.

I cant recall any issues with DSG6 (diesel) being mentioned, but there is a few comments about vibration and problems with DSG7 (petrol).

re the DPF, I only commute 6 miles each way (mostly NSL) and have not (yet) had any lights illuminate, but then again i do drive it hard, not anti-social, but certainly to the red line in sport mode every few days. This, using premium fuel and correct spec VW 507.00 oil to top up should, fingers crossed keep the dpf issue at bay.

There are a few mechanics on this site that basically suggest the dpf is just that, a filter and it will eventually clog to a point that it needs to be changed/removed no matter what. But how old is the mk2 now? 2009? im sure there are plently of 09' cars running around with no dpf issues.

Dont let the above put you off, it is a great family car, with a huge boot and my elegance has all the toys i would ever need and this is my first 'auto' being a dsg. The car is an amazing bit of kit for the price but if you do buy an older car, try to get the dealer to install the latest SAT NAV maps and software as part of the deal which i think are on version 9 (V9) now.

What ever you do, dont let you wife turn her heated seat on whilst she is wearing her wax cotton barbour! im still scrubbing the wax off the leather four weeks later! :) 

Good info about the satnav I hadn't thought of that but I don't think the one dealer I've been to so far will be inclined to do anything about it. He refuses to budge on price (£10945 for an '09 plate) and I'm not very good at haggling

Pretty sure paddles have always been an option. To be honest I don't miss them. Sure, they make you feel like Lewis Hamilton but that wears off soon enough. If I ever needed more engine braking or higher revs, then the Sport mode computer could do a much better job than I ever could on a blast through the lanes.

The paddle shift is an optional extra and should be viewed as additional to, rather than a replacement for, the stick. The mobile you mention will pair without problem, as it is capable of both hands-free and rSAP profiles. This should mean that it will pair with earlier BT modules using rSAP and with later |BT modules using either. The mobile should default to rSAP, but it might not - check your manual on that point. Try pairing it when you view any prospective Superbs.

The DSG is a delight to use and is no problem when powered by a 170CR diesel power unit. My DPF sensor went a while ago and - when the DPF light came on - I was a little concerned, but it was soon diagnosed and fixed. DPFs should be good for at least 100,000 miles, according to a Skoda service manager I know. The presence of a heated screen should be easy enough to spot if you look carefully at the glass from the inside, near to the top of the screen. Polaroid sunglasses may help, but I can say I've tried that.

Other options included a sunroof, a solar panel sunroof (to keep air circulating in high temperatures without hitting the battery - circulating, NOT cooling, that would need the AirCon), Hill Hold (preventing the car running back when facing up or down an incline of >4º or 5º and check the spare wheel. Some have full-size alloys, others 16" steel rim spares. Look out for the wheel key and nut cap remover in the tool kit. HTH :)

Ray

Edited by Argee

My first question is. I`m aware of many people having DPF problems,

The CR engine is meant to be less problematic regarding the DPF, so if it is a 170 you should be fine, the 140 will still be a PD on a 59 plate, (the 140CR was fitted to the Superb around March / May 2010)

I`ve read the thread here and other places about the DSG box. Is it a weak link in this car or have some people just been unlucky. In general terms is it something to avoid.

It is widely regarded that only around 10% of DSG boxes will give the owners any trouble - this is across the whole VAG range not just Škoda, so not a huge problem, just very costly (£1.500) if you are one of the 10%

So what options are there over and above the standard Elegance spec and how do I spot whether they are fitted in the absence of the dealer knowing.

Park Assist - look for the parking sensor on the front wheel arch (bumper part of the arch)

Front parking sensors - look for the 4 sensors

Heated Screen - there is a button in the climatronic panel (next to the AC button) - Photo thanks to Wayne

image_zpsef501244.jpg

Heated washer nozzles - they are larger and have a wiring loom going to them

Variable boot floor - false floor with a 2 - 3” recess underneath

3 spoke leather steering wheel (4 spoke is std)

Auto dimming rear view mirror - green LED on the front edge and a button to turn it on/off

Sunset glass - windows rear of the front doors slightly darker than the fronts.

Luna 6 spoke alloys (free option)

Wood decor (trim)

Sunnroof

Spare wheel

Floor mats

And, lastly has anybody had any experience of pairing the Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE to the bluetooth system, does it work OK

Not sure TBH, but the mid 2010 cars will work with just about any phone, this is an easy upgrade (£100 ish) for the later module.

Sat nav, make sure that it has V7 onwards maps and suitable firmware, otherwise you only get 5 digit postcode search.

Auto-dimming rear view mirror (more chunky than normal one), park assist (extra sensors on the side by the wheel arches together with a button to the right of the gear stick), integrated sunblinds in the rear doors that pull up manually, upgraded sound system (3 speakers in each front door, incl the tweeter by the central locking switch, rather than 2), MDI (connect your iPod in the centre arm rest), ventilated front seats (switch on front of driver's seat).

Thanks guys this is all excellent stuff. It's giving me a much clearer idea of what I'm looking for. So far I've decided on the Elegance 170 CR with DSG. Parking assist would be nice but probably just for showing off to be honest. Auto dimming rear view mirror because I'm so used to that, MDI but not for an iPod, I use Tunein Radio app on my Galaxy S3 now and again to listen to any radio channel. Upgraded sound system and maybe a heated screen but not important. But of course, the more options the better.

One other thing, the dealer I spoke to insisted the car had a DAB radio. From what I've picked up so far I'm thinking he was wrong, as it was the Columbus system that was fitted.

You can stream audio via bluetooth to the Columbus, so you might be able to live without the MDI. Definitely no DAB on the Superb in the UK, but TuneIn plus bluetooth is a workaround as long as you're on an unlimited data plan.

• Like 1

You can stream audio via bluetooth to the Columbus, so you might be able to live without the MDI. Definitely no DAB on the Superb in the UK, but TuneIn plus bluetooth is a workaround as long as you're on an unlimited data plan.

Thanks for that, I didn't realise the system would accept radio transmission streamed via Bluetooth, but yes I do have unlimited data

If it's any help my samsung galaxy ace paired ok on my previous octy's via bluetooth including the phone book sync which had the Amundson unit and worked fine with the MFSW (don't have it on my current octy)

Not on a 2009 you cant - even if you update the BT module, which you will (prob) need too, it will only be in Mono.

Al.

I use a Pure Move 2500 DAB radio & it works a treat with the Columbus unit - you can charge it off the 12v lighter socket & plug it into the Aux input. The aux cable acts as the aerial. A cheap DAB upgrade!

Auto-dimming rear view mirror (more chunky than normal one), park assist (extra sensors on the side by the wheel arches together with a button to the right of the gear stick), integrated sunblinds in the rear doors that pull up manually, upgraded sound system (3 speakers in each front door, incl the tweeter by the central locking switch, rather than 2), MDI (connect your iPod in the centre arm rest), ventilated front seats (switch on front of driver's seat).

Can the Auto dimming rear view mirror fitted to higher spec Superbs be fitted to my 2011 SE... easy swap or is there more to it, wiring etc?

Can the Auto dimming rear view mirror fitted to higher spec Superbs be fitted to my 2011 SE... easy swap or is there more to it, wiring etc?

I think there would be wiring involved as it will be electrickery that makes it dim.

One optional extra not yet mentioned...KESSY...

Keyless Entry & Starting SYstem.

Keep the key in your pocket, just touch the door handle to unlock the car and push the stater button to get going...absolutely brilliant.