Looks like the Yeti will have to go another 50k miles!

Bobdog

Relaxing my a**e ... I plan to have her up on her ears in a force 5 at the first opportunity! Grow old disgracefully! :rock:

• Like 1

OK in a gentle breeze too Graham - come visit Norfolk again and I'll take you out on the Broads.

post-68185-0-70205200-1362772248_thumb.jpg

OK in a gentle breeze too Graham - come visit Norfolk again and I'll take you out on the Broads.

And the broads don't mind?

What?

• Like 1

Hands off my beer!

I've brought my own........a couple of bottles of Pilsner Urquell, thanks.

(Useless Fact No69:

Back in the 1980's this beer was not (officially) available in the UK, other than as a part number from Skoda CZ. One of the reasons it was always served on the Skoda stand at the Motor Show, and at dealer days!!

It was also one of the "perks" on the official Skoda Rally Team!!)

• Like 1

Just the job Bob

Can we go piking in your yacht?

I`ll bring me rod.

Ship looks great and retirement is to be recommended.You will be able to sail to Woys of Woxham for supplies..

I am sure Betty will go on for years as has our much loved 10 year old Fabia and you will get just as much enjoyment out of the wherry

Have you broken a bottle over her bows yet and given her a name?.

Cheers :beer:

Peter

She's called "White Monarch". I didn't name her. Boats of this class on the Broads are usually named after types of butterfly. I don't take possession until Easter weekend - she's out of the water at the moment getting the woodwork revarnished and the hull antifouled. Shan't go to Wroxham (although true Norfolk folk know that Roys is actually in Hoveton) ... too many trees up that part of the Bure which interfere with the wind. I'll be based near Barton Broad.

Just the job Bob

Can we go piking in your yacht?

I`ll bring me rod.

Ship looks great and retirement is to be recommended.You will be able to sail to Woys of Woxham for supplies..

I am sure Betty will go on for years as has our much loved 10 year old Fabia and you will get just as much enjoyment out of the wherry

Have you broken a bottle over her bows yet and given her a name?.

Cheers :beer:

Peter

BROKEN A BOTTLE to be done only if the bottle is empty :rofl:. wast of good drinking martial (can send a empty bottle of fine rum, was full 3 hours ago but not now :drunk::happy: )

Bob, will it go under potter higham bridge? Have seen lots of you tube vids of oafs trying at high tide.

Interesting thread this one, as there is a definite (definate in welsh :-)) pattern developing here.

Seems to me that an awful lot of us yeti owners are of a "certain age" and disposition.

At the end of this year I can collect my deferred Fire Service pension and the (new Mrs Vegit8 - of just 2 weeks) wife can take her teaching pension at any time now. It's just a question of actuarial calculation as to when.

I fancy doing part time work in waitrose or b&q, etc. After sitting on my backside for the last 20 years or so staring at a computer screen, I want something more active to keep my knees working.

Rather than use up our lump sums, we opted to purchase last year and are whacking as much into the repayments as we can into the yeti and citigo, thus reducing the hit later on.

A recent health scare for SWMBO, has brought this phase of our lives into sharp focus.

Our plan is to do extended travelling in the yeti, but we will see!

Bob, nice looking boat, I have sailed all my life (living in Weymouth it's almost a required activity), I have to say I prefer thrashing around the cans 3 times a week in what passes for a summer these days.

Vegit8 ... ah the famous Potter Heigham bridge, always draws a crowd at weekends to see the numpties try to get the big cruisers under. Yes, with the mast lowered she's got plenty of clearance. I'm experienced enough to be happy to take her under there solo but the hire cruisers are supposed to use the Bridge Pilot service (the pilots fee is even paid for direct by the hire company) but so many are so cocky/macho they don't take the advice, and don't understand that a boat doesn't steer like a car, and don't appreciate not just the lack of height under the bridge, but also the speed of the tide through that spot.

Actually, aside from the bridge videos on you tube, check out the "Three Rivers Race" ones ... and the bit of that where the racers try to 'shoot' the bridge (ie lower the sail and mast while still moving, use the boat's momentum to get under the bridge, and then raise the mast again). No engines allowed!

Often takes a health scare or similar to make you realise that you need to make the most of life. Good luck!

Here you go ... the third boat through shows how it should be done!

Have you looked at swallow boats.. i want one of these? Sailed all my life too. My father has a Westerly Merlin that i crew. My love is still windsurfing.....

Br

JeZ

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Oh, so this is a sailing forum now. I have been racing on the Broads in a Punt, odd name but very fast. I never won but had great fun.. :happy:Punt.jpg

• Like 2

Ah, the Norfolk punt! Originally, many many years ago, the punt was a boat used by wildfowlers to hunt ducks, geese etc. The boat was very low to the water, with a long, big bore, shotgun called a 'punt gun' laid out along its length, with the wildfowler laying in the boat ready to ambush the birds when they settled on the water. At the end of a days hunting the wildfowlers would raise a sail and race each other home. The current Norfolk punt is an evolution of those boats, but the class rules allow really big modern rigs, and the boats are now the fastest things racing on the Broads - truly an awesome sight, and the capsizes are spectacular!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=norfolk+punt&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=3Ws7UYS5JLCQ7AbojYCQBw&ved=0CEcQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=667

• Like 1

Thanks Bob, I didn't know the history......the sound of Gerry (who always won) shouting at me " Give water you bl**dy fool" as we raced for the first buoy still rings in my ears... :happy:

Edited by looby

... you were probably sailing on Barton Broad - that's where the Norfolk Punt Club are based. That's also where my boat will be moored.