Looks like the Yeti will have to go another 50k miles!

Bobdog

Having taken early retirement I was thinking about putting some of my 'lump sum' towards replacing Betty, who is coming up to her third birthday and has over 50k miles on the clock. Change of plan - lump sum has just been committed elsewhere, and no, not on a new kitchen for SWMBO! This little beauty ...

post-68185-0-69518600-1362580403_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Oh no, wait, didn't the other one come to a sad end on a boat? :giggle:

I think you'll find he came to a sad end off a boat.

Captain Pedantic.

• Like 1

Bob.

A boat : a hole in the water into which you pour money, or

Bunge over another thousand

Looks nice though.

Flat water or bumpy stuff?

And I presume that it will have suitable supplies for when the sun passes the yard arm?

Bobby,

Careful boy, we'm watching you! :giggle:

• Like 2

Welcome aboard, Skipper! Will this one do 50K miles for you?!

PS Showing my ignorance of such things - do I detect some sort of gaff rig there? T'would be right, for the Broads, methinks?

I believe they have some kind of register for pedants.

Of course! Didn't you know that Graham is the Registry Secretary?

• Like 1

Having taken early retirement I was thinking about putting some of my 'lump sum' towards replacing Betty, who is coming up to her third birthday and has over 50k miles on the clock. Change of plan - lump sum has just been committed elsewhere, and no, not on a new kitchen for SWMBO! This little beauty ...

Very nice - that's a lovely shade of blue!

• Like 2

Strictly it's a gunter rig Brijo, but gaff is close enough. Flattish stuff Graham, Norfolk Broads and rivers sailing ... the boat is of a type known as a 'river cruiser' and designed for those waters, the freeboard is too low for sea sailing. The cuddy (cabin to you) will doubtless hold a little stock of something nauti(cal)!

50k miles ... mmm at 4/5 knots max that's a long time off, but there are about 120 miles of waterway to explore on the Broads (and lots of pubs dotted about to moor up at for refreshment). Now where did I put my copy of 'Coot Club'?

Ha ha. I'm really trying very hard to resist the standard "whatever floats your boat", "hello sailor" etc comments, because I think there's a serious point here.

Since 2010 I've had 4 operations and 6 hospital stays. I'm OK now, but as a result, very much of the view that travelling light and spending time and money doing the things I want to do is the way forward. BD, cars are fun, but I'm guessing sailing is in your blood. Enjoy your gunter gaff.

Wasn't he in Das Boot?

See, I couldn't resist it.

• Like 2

Since 2010 I've had 4 operations and 6 hospital stays.

Beats me ... 3 operations and 4 hospital stays since 2007! Life's too short to waste working (which is why I've taken early retirement at 57). Going to spend as many days as I can 'messing about on the river'. B)

• Like 1

"The Big Six" is Ransome's other Broads based tale - same characters as Coot Club. "We didn't mean ... " is set a little further south, on the River Orwell in Suffolk I think.

Took a reduced pension so I could go early Graham ... but I have a couple of little consultancies to bring in a few pennies without too much effort, and from next September a part time (just one day a week) university teaching post. Semi-retired ... no, three-quarters retired probably best describes it. SWMBO is working for another 3 years or so ... I'm a kept man!

• Like 4

Another early retiree, at the end of this month. I'm spending some of my lump on a new yeti L&K.

Enjoy your semi retirement and you new purchase .

• Like 1

BD, I beat you on the retirement too. 50. Thank God for insurance company mergers. I had 33 yrs in, and in those days they actually added 5 yrs, so I ended up with 38/60ths. Pretty close to the maximum. Had a couple of little jobs since, but after the last couple of years, not now. We've cut our coat etc (hence my earlier point about "travelling light") so I don't have to work.

Two more years, and I'll be on the state pension, and Mrs G can draw her deferred pension at 55. At that point, she can jack it in too. Happy days. Health is the key.

Good health all :beer:

Edited by Michael G
  • Like 1

Lucky sod BD, cruising the broads with refreshments and your own boat, can't be bad.

I see no reason why you should swap the Yeti, mine will have 130K+ on it after three years, so enjoy your boat and I am sure your car will be fine for many miles yet.

Given that I'm not working (I used the Yeti both for commuting and work purposes), the annual mileage will drop considerably now anyway, so the next 50k miles will be a while coming.

Strkes me there is a lot of us "old uns" buying Yeti's and like me also using the pension pot to buy. Bobdog, I would not worry the slightest about your mileage etc. the Yeti will go on for years. I still have my almost seven years old Octavia 152k on the clock and apart from servicing, part of the exhaust, tyres and a new battery has not had a day off the road. As I still use this for caravaning and load carrying,( being an estate,) I assume my Yeti doing far less mileage, and me now retired could actually see me out. Enjoy your boat seems a good relaxing hobby to keep you young.

• Like 1