Knocking Greenline 11 engine

JohnC6

I've just taken delivery of a new Yeti Greenline 11 Elegance. The car is super and lives up to all I remember from road tests a few months ago, as well as magazine reviews.

However, having taken it out for a first (30 mile) drive this afternoon I am seriously concerned about a knocking noise from the engine. I will be getting back to the dealers tomorrow but thought I would ask if anybody else has experienced this in the meantime?

The knocking is just like an exaggerated form of typical old generation diesel engine knock combined with a knocking big end bearing. It occurs when the engine is up to temperature and at light to medium loads from around 1,300 through to 3,000 rpm, when it tends to become less noticeable. From the low frequency of the knocks I can tell that it is happening on only one cylinder, not on all four.

I have owned many diesel engine cars over the years and never had anything like this before, not even with a cold engine.

Does anybody have any thoughts please?

A bit of an update - a mechanic from the local dealer joined me in the car for a short drive and listen to the engine this morning. The result? - almost certainly a failed big end bearing. My brand new car is now languishing in the dealers awaiting a more in depth diagnostic investigation next week.

If anyone is about to take delivery of a new 1.6 diesel Yeti I would strongly suggest that you take a test drive in the car long enough to get the engine hot before accepting the vehicle. The noise is masked when the engine is cold by normal diesel engine growl and cold / viscous oil. Once up to temperature though the knock comes through (unfortunately) loud and clear.

Now resigned to a courtesy vehicle and some no doubt intense discussions next week when the final diagnosis is clear.

Is the car brand new or just new to you? Either way I would consider rejecting the car as not fit for purpose!

A failed big end bearing appears to be a very serious fault and usually causes serious bottom end damage, often needing a new engine!

I'm really sorry for you - surely the dealer should have picked this up on the PDI?

Good luck keep us updated.

A chap on the Fabia II forum had a major oil leak on a brand new vRS during day one of ownership. If I understand right the car was repaired for their use while a replacement vehicle was ordered, which they have just recently recieved.

TP

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I'm afraid that it is a completely brand new car! I suspect that it wasn't picked up on the PDI because it only becomes apparent when the engine is getting up to full operating temperature, which in this weather and with the diesel engine takes a good 5+ miles to achieve. I imagine that most PDI's don't include a lengthy on-road drive.

I seem to recall reading some time ago that there was a severe shortage of the 1.6 Diesel engine within the Volkswagen Group. Not sure if actions to ramp up production may have resulted in a slip in quality..

I'll keep the post updated as the saga unfolds next week.

Ok just tell the dealer you are going to formally reject the car in writing...they may seem top guys but do it by the book. You can apologize after it is all fixed later. Just make sure you cover yourself. If you have finance on the car this will work in your favour...so inform them at the same time...use registered post for it all so you're covered...don't be fobbed off just follow this. Any problem speak to your local citizens advice bureau. Finally best of luck!!!

Sent from my ST26i using Tapatalk 2

Well, some good news to report!

A more in depth diagnosis of the knocking noise in the local dealers showed it be be a detonation issue caused by an incorrect setting / controlling of the fuel injectors. Apparently a technical bulletin exists for this and the cure is a relatively straightforward defined driving programme on the road which allows the ECU to properly recalibrate the system. This was carried out by the dealers and I am pleased (and relieved) to say that all signs of the knocking noise have now gone.

I must say that I have been impressed with the customer service from Skoda, both the supplying dealer, my local dealer and the Skoda customer care team (thanks to Steph for her efforts in successfully coordinating all parties).

The car is now back with me and I'm looking forwards to driving it with a much more refined sounding motor!

• Like 3

You were getting detonation similar to the sound of a failed big end bearing?! :peek: Oh my! Hope the problem is sorted and you that you can now enjoy the car fully. :)

The Technician who diagnosed a big end failure must have been an oldy. Modern Technicians have never heard such a thing. :hi:

Fred

Probably a bit if an oldie myself :-)

It certainly sounded very like a knocking big end, albeit the noise tended to abate a bit as throttle opening and revs rose beyond about 3k rpm, so it was never really clear until the more in-depth diagnosis.

I'm glad that it was simply rectifiable via a bit of ECU tweaking and a road driving programme.

Been out in the car today and all is still well!