Roof bars

Wightyeti

I was going to buy the whispbar system, something like this http://www.whispbar.co.uk/cars/skoda/yeti/2010/5doorsuvrails-6006

But then I found this

http://cross-bars.co.uk/en/skoda-cross-bars/730145-skoda-yeti-whispbar-roof-rack-cross-bars-set-736745504288.html. Which is way cheaper.

Have I missed something obvious? Sometimes if its too good to be true it isn't!

• 11 months later...

Has anybody bought the Cross-bars mentioned above?

http://www.cross-bars.co.uk/gb/yeti-running-boards/730145-skoda-yeti-new-wingbar-roof-rack-aero-cross-bars-set-736745504285.html

I had planned on buying the genuine Skoda, but the type that fots between the rails looks so much nicer.

Colin

I was considering the Whispbars until you've shown me the Crossbars, and I would go for the cheaper ones.

talking of roof bars, what are the alternatives for a ski box? I'd want to fit 165cm skis without fouling the tailgate. 

I have a £150 voucher from Skoda which I was maybe going to spend on roof bars (I can get them for £155 from my 2nd closest dealer, so will only really cost me £5).  I think I prefer the look of the the Whispbar's and Wing-bars above though - and the Wing-bars at £89 seem great value.

I read on another post last year that you can't open the panoramic sunroof with Whispbars fitted (they are too low and the opening part of the roof hits them).  I expect the Wing-bars will be the same - but does anyone know for sure?

• Like 1

seriously considering having a punt on these wing bars.

I have the the sun roof and it sit just below the line of the rails when open, the main problem seems to be when it initially opens, it tils up higher than the rails.

I suspect with careful positioning it might just work....the bars themselves look like they might be okay, its the feet that are a little lower.

Might give it ago and just return them if it doesnt work.

I have the whispbar S45 with a Packline FX-offroad roofbox ( http://packline-roofbox.com/products/low-profile-roof-box/fx-offroad )

The bars and the box are very close to the roof, so haven't tried to open the sunroof with the bars/box on.

I believe there was a topic a year ago about the whispbars, and another Yeti-owner stated that it was'n enough space between to open the roof.

If you don't plan to use the bars very often, I would maybe suggest the original roof bars, and a box-lift in your garage if you plan to have a roof-box ( http://www.skiguard.no/no/takheis-for-garasjemontering/takheis ) (sorry, no English text on that page)

Just to say, www.roofbox.co.uk have just done themselves proud again. I rang on Friday afternoon to order some bars and a boot liner for our Roomster. I've bought as fair bit from them in the past and so cheekily asked for free postage. I got it, and the gear arrived on Monday. 

Has anybody bought the Cross-bars mentioned above?

http://www.cross-bars.co.uk/gb/yeti-running-boards/730145-skoda-yeti-new-wingbar-roof-rack-aero-cross-bars-set-736745504285.html

I had planned on buying the genuine Skoda, but the type that fots between the rails looks so much nicer.

Colin

I have actually bought the bars in question, but I'm afraid I have not used them yet, so can't comment on anything apart from my buying experience and what came in the box.

Delivery did not go smoothly, the bars arrived about a week later than originally quoted (hence did not have the chance to use them, I had to get creative with the interior layout to haul the load that I needed the bars for). Do keep in mind, though, that I am located in Greece, which may have had something to do with it.

The bars seem to be of pretty good quality, as do all the fittings. They come with a channel that is compatible with the T-fittings widely available for fitting racks, roof boxes and such.

I went for the black finish, which no longer seems to be available. Just as well, I guess, as the durability of the finish is the only concern I have regarding the bars.

As you may have already figured, I only have very occasional need for the bars, so I'm quite happy having spent much less for a "slim" profile set compared to the big-brand alternatives.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the "lock and key" consist of slightly flimsy plastic affairs, shaped kind of like a large hex screw head and corresponding plastic key. Not much of a key at all, if you ask me. I tried contacting the seller to see if there is any way I can replace that with proper lock cores from Thule or another manufacturer, but have not had any communication from them. If someone is willing to give it another shot, I'd be very happy to hear if this is possible!

Edited by gcp

For those that might be buying roofbars over here in Ireland, I just purchased these from micksgarage.com.  Ordered them on a Saturday lunchtime and had them on Tuesday morning and €80 delivered is a decent price.  Fitted them yesterday (a doddle) and then mounted a 430 litre Hapro roofbox on top (also pretty handy). I borrowed the roofbox as there's no point in buying for something I'll only use once or twice a year.

Four of us heading over to Wales this weekend to do some mtb'ing and the bars and box mean we can carry as much stuff as we want (I always bring too much stuff!).  The bikes will be mounted on a tow ball carrier so the Yeti will look well dressed for the trip! :hi:

Where you coming to MTB?

Staying in Betws y Coed from Friday till Sunday.  Biking the Marin triail there on Friday afternoon and then onto Coed y Brenin for a full days cycling on Saturday.  Sunday morning the plan is to hike up Snowdon if the weather's suitable before heading to the ferry on Sunday evening.  Can't wait! :rock:

Coed yr Brenin is a very popular centre about an hour north of me.

The cafe there can be a bit expensive, we've found, but there is a good cafe in Trawsfynydd. 

The Oakley Arms at Maentwrog isn't bad.

have fun.

Coed yr Brenin is a very popular centre about an hour north of me.

The cafe there can be a bit expensive, we've found, but there is a good cafe in Trawsfynydd. 

The Oakley Arms at Maentwrog isn't bad.

have fun.

Cheers for the tips - might drop in by on our way back to basecamp :thumbup:

Staying in Betws y Coed from Friday till Sunday. Biking the Marin triail there on Friday afternoon and then onto Coed y Brenin for a full days cycling on Saturday. Sunday morning the plan is to hike up Snowdon if the weather's suitable before heading to the ferry on Sunday evening. Can't wait! :rock:

Enjoy your time in north Wales. Spent a summer up there in the 90s at capel curig with the army. Loved the place and did some mtb when we had any time off.

There's a few good mtb sites in south Wales which my mate in Bristol comes over to all the time. Afan valley near port Talbot,bike park Wales up in Merthyr Tydfil and cwmcarn forest. That's a good price on those bars.