Dealer Boob

deejay1001

Anyone else experienced dealer mistakes like this?

Early February I ordered a Citigo Elegance 3 door 75ps Manual in Black with Safety Pack, Sensor Pack Sunset glass and front mudflaps (more later)

Was told that with this spec the car would have to be built for me but should be delivered for 1st March. Had a few calls from the dealer with progress reports and on the Wednesday 6th of March the call telling me my car was in, it's registration details and that following dealer prep would be ready for me on Friday 8th.

Eagerly arrive at dealers at the appointed time and on the forecourt is my new Citigo, a quick visual confirms Safety Pack, Sunset Glass, Mudflaps and 5 Doors 5 DOORS!!!!

Salesman comes out to greet me and asks what I think of the car, his face drops when I tell him it has 2 doors too many.

Discussion follows whereby the remaining non obvious spec choice (75ps) is confirmed as correct. I agree that I will accept the car providing a small discount is given due to not getting the car I ordered, this is agreed.

Am then given a talkthrough about the car and am told the sensors for the Citysafe are part of the new adaptive cruise control system and that if I come up behind a slower car while using the cruise control it will automatically adjust my speed to match the car in front.

Salesman was and is adamant that rear mudflaps from the Up will not fit the Citigo and that it is not possible to get a rear bumper protector to suit.

This dealership group also also dealerships for both VW and Seat.

My faith is wavering.

Now when you say "early February" could you be more specific.

The tale of this being a special build doesn't seem to add up - it would have had to have been built almost immediately to arrive so quickly.

Now when you say "early February" could you be more specific.

The tale of this being a special build doesn't seem to add up - it would have had to have been built almost immediately to arrive so quickly.

My bad. Early January

AFAIK the Citigo doesn't have adaptive cruise control - could well be wrong but the City Safe is (in lehmans terms) an emergency brake, it just slams the anchors on.

Agreed. Wonder if I could have claimed on the dealer's insurance if I'd taken him at his word & tried it out.

sounds like your dealer went to the same school as mine?

Well AFAIK cruse control only works above 19 MPH and Citi safe only works at below 19 MPH?

if you are referring to the rear bumper protector that was a doddle to fit and you hardly notice it's there. 1S0 061 197 Transparent sill protector film VW UP 1 £24.71

Having trouble attaching pictures at the moment. will try later.

Edited by Owens

sounds like your dealer went to the same school as mine?

Well AFAIK cruse control only works above 19 MPH and Citi safe only works at below 19 MPH?

if you are referring to the rear bumper protector that was a doddle to fit and you hardly notice it's there. 1S0 061 197 Transparent sill protector film VW UP 1 £24.71

Having trouble attaching pictures at the moment. will try later.

Think it's a case of refusing to look outside the box, under different circumstances 'jobsworth'.

Not made my mind up over the bumper protector VW or http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271171719959?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Don't think I'd complain about having two extra doors for free unless I really disliked the looks of the 5 door?

Agree but I'm not telling the dealer that. Ordered the 3 door because 90% of the time it'll be just me and the dog, now and again the other half as well, any more than that and I would tend to use the Octavia.

Can see the extra doors being a plus point if I should ever want to sell the car. All in all I'm a happy Citigoer. Surprised how quickly I've become accustomed to the 'stop start' technology but not yet convinced of the benefits especially in traffic, save a little fuel at the expense of wear & tear? As the greentech can be turned off will be conducting an experiment re fuel savings once run in. Would be happy to be convinced one way or the other by an experienced pilot or two.

I looked at those but decided the translucent one kept the clean lines of the Citigo.

Can see the extra doors being a plus point if I should ever want to sell the car. All in all I'm a happy Citigoer. Surprised how quickly I've become accustomed to the 'stop start' technology but not yet convinced of the benefits especially in traffic, save a little fuel at the expense of wear & tear?

This is why they fit a beefier starter and a bigger battery to the Greentech cars (you'll note they are slightly heavier than non-Greentechs). I do use the stop-start, but only if I'm likely to be stopped for more than 30 seconds, otherwise I just keep it running.

When we went looking at Citigos to buy, I preferred the look of the 3 door, but its not at all practical (for those with stiff old joints like me) - when parked in car parks its very difficult to open the door far enough to get out.

Had the same problem with the better halfs 3 Series Coupe a few years ago...

Had the same problem with the better halfs 3 Series Coupe a few years ago...

Ughhh, don't get me started on that. If BMW are allowed to call that a coupe I think we should start calling the Citigo 3-door a Coupe too!

Ughhh, don't get me started on that. If BMW are allowed to call that a coupe I think we should start calling the Citigo 3-door a Coupe too!

Thankfully I was not involved with her when she bought it. I found it a horrible thing. The 320d wasnt much better. Now we are all Skoda and very happy!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else experienced dealer mistakes like this?

Early February I ordered a Citigo Elegance 3 door 75ps Manual in Black with Safety Pack, Sensor Pack Sunset glass and front mudflaps (more later)

Was told that with this spec the car would have to be built for me but should be delivered for 1st March. Had a few calls from the dealer with progress reports and on the Wednesday 6th of March the call telling me my car was in, it's registration details and that following dealer prep would be ready for me on Friday 8th.

Eagerly arrive at dealers at the appointed time and on the forecourt is my new Citigo, a quick visual confirms Safety Pack, Sunset Glass, Mudflaps and 5 Doors 5 DOORS!!!!

Salesman comes out to greet me and asks what I think of the car, his face drops when I tell him it has 2 doors too many.

Discussion follows whereby the remaining non obvious spec choice (75ps) is confirmed as correct. I agree that I will accept the car providing a small discount is given due to not getting the car I ordered, this is agreed.

Am then given a talkthrough about the car and am told the sensors for the Citysafe are part of the new adaptive cruise control system and that if I come up behind a slower car while using the cruise control it will automatically adjust my speed to match the car in front.

Salesman was and is adamant that rear mudflaps from the Up will not fit the Citigo and that it is not possible to get a rear bumper protector to suit.

This dealership group also also dealerships for both VW and Seat.

My faith is wavering.

Sinclairs, eh?