kevinjwiles

Was going to suggest Mazda 3 MPS but the cheapest are a bit above budget.

Well you didn't mention reliability...

Alfa GTV 3.0 V6 LUSSO

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201303115712101

Audi S6

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201303095698817

Cadillac BLS

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201301225005308

Mazda RX8

Loads for under 5k

Get an older one and the tax isn't so bad.

Mazda MX5

Depends on your image but they're good cars, again loads

Porsche Boxter

A £4k Porsche is getting into Tog Gear challenge territory imho.

Grizzle is on the right track

Can't get a better hot hatch for that money - ok it's french but i think i'd over look that.

Someting a little more special I'd go S2000 or potentially a Boxster

or something a little more practical Accord type R

Or perhaps an early high mileage Audi S3

• Like 1

By the looks of it you want to buy something outright and so you should, 4k can get you alot of car but its the second hand car game. 4k opens alot of choices of a wide range of vehicles..you can even get a BMW 53 plate 7 series for just over a 4k but how good is it going to be really?

The way i always think of it is, say for example the Mk2 Octy vRS.. not that i have done current research but they vary widely from 4.5k to 7.5k so obviously you have your knackers and your garage queens. Id personally go for something that the 4k mark is in the middle of the price range, not the bottom if you get me? So your getting a good one and you have plenty to choose from.

If it was me and i know this would not suit everyone but id either go for something old but still a nice motor and have the extra cash aside for if it goes wrong i.e 330D 3 series, still a very nice car and nothing thats going to make people think its just a old banger, they look like they should be worth more.

Or

Put it down as a deposit on a new car, 4k is over the normal deposit range to you either pay a big chunk off early and reduce payments or do whatever with it. Obviously all the benefits of a new car and the market choice is pretty much uncapped.

• Like 1

Depends what it's for... if it's a family run-around, how about a 2008/9 Kia Cee'd 1.6 CRDi LS?

50+ MPG, and still 3 or 4 years of warranty remaining..?

Or, there's a 2000 W plate Mercedes CL500 on ebay for a smidge under £4k!

Al.

• Like 1