Looking to purchase a mk2 soon - Few questions

Sorry to start another thread as i know there are a few about on these, but i had a personal one.

I am looking into talking to mr Bank manager over the weekend as im doing more miles with work and a superb is on the short list.

I have seen a high miler which takes my fancy if the bank manager allows it.

CR170 Elegance DSG with 170K on the clock.

it has ALL the toys incl paddles.

Spoken to the seller who has pointed out the only major problem with the car is the Satnav does no work.... Is this something i should worry about. how much work is involved to repalce this unit?

he has offered money off already if i where to take the car with the broken unit, I have seen you can get nearly new units off the bay with radio code, i am pretty tech savy so dont mind tackling the job myself, just wondering whats involved... Vag com.. tools etc

You've probably seen this already, but there's a full guide to replacing the HDD with a SSD here. It should give you a good feel for the process of dismantling the unit etc. If all you want to do is swap in a completely new unit, then it should be a straightforward process. The only thing I'd say is that it seems a lot of the units on eBay are stolen, and can cause problems if you ever try to upgrade the firmware in the future (something to do with how they solder pins together to bypass security protocols or something like that). I'm sure new units from VAG themselves are in the region of £2000.

Or you can get an after-market head unit (e.g. pioneer), and a plug-in module that will allow it to interface with the steering wheel controls, and so that things like heater controls can be flash-displayed up on the head unit display - same way that Columbus works at the moment.

http://www.connects2.co.uk/ProductInformation.aspx?id=16570

(edited to include link to product)

Edited by JakeBlade

Thanks for all the info guys!

did a little further looking into the car in question and it has a PD140 in it, im really after a CR170.

it is nice to see a new part of the forum i have never ventured into has some good replys.

It is handy to know this information as i am planning to pick up up one anyways, so if it does happen i am prepared.

Has anyone installed an aftermarket unit and got all the normal funtions (like heater info) working on the display?? thought VW would have made this pretty awkwards.

Thanks for all the info guys!

did a little further looking into the car in question and it has a PD140 in it, im really after a CR170.

it is nice to see a new part of the forum i have never ventured into has some good replys.

It is handy to know this information as i am planning to pick up up one anyways, so if it does happen i am prepared.

Has anyone installed an aftermarket unit and got all the normal funtions (like heater info) working on the display?? thought VW would have made this pretty awkwards.

Hi, my current lease car will be available from end of May, going back to VW Group Leasing, see spec on left, it's a manual and they quoted me £8,825 to buy it, will have about 90k on clock, just had new Columbus head unit and 4 new tyres but will need cam belt and service at 90k. PM me if you want some more info or contact details for lease co.

Edited by Matt Pez