ASG Owners - Advice Needed

nbramwel

I am giving some thought to buying a Citigo with the ASG gearbox. I am semi retired so only do about 8k miles per year. I have a twice a week trip to work which is 22 miles each way, about two thirds of this motorway. The rest of my mileage is around town with the occasional trip out.

I'm not ready to change my car yet so don't want to test drive which will inevitably be followed by the dealer pestering me to buy. But I will obviously test drive when I'm ready. Meanwhile, I would welcome advice from drivers with the ASG gearbox.

My questions are:

What are your views on the gearbox good or bad please?

Do you feel you have made a mistake by going with the ASG and if so why?

Would you buy a car with this gearbox again?

Your views very welcome. Thanks.

My wife has an UP! ASG. She loves it. 5500 faultless miles, 52 mpg (including lots of heavy city driving). She would definitely buy another and has no regrets. I would certainly recommend the UP/Citigo although my taste would be for the manual version. If you are used to a regular auto/DSG the ASG may seem a little slow witted for you, but if you are used to semi autos it is as good, better even, than many others. The manual function is pleasant to use although down changes have a slight delay (you get used to this quite quickly). How impressed you will be with the ASG gearbox will all depend on your expectations.

It depends what you expect from car.

ASG gear changes are much slowler than DSG. In some situations gearbox "thinking" before change gear.

However I would never change my up! ASG for manual. Comfort of auto box is very important for me.

You should make a test drive before decide to by or not. Not everybody is satisfied with this AT.

Very pleased with the ASG Gearbox which was chosen because wife needs auto. Initial problem with the box finding false neutral but only twice and this has not re-occurred. Not as good as DSG and I agree with the comments above about being a bit "slow witted" but we do not find this a problem in normal driving.

Certainly not a mistake to buy the ASG and would definitely buy same again. We love the Citigo, it's a great little car and much better than most of the other City Cars we have driven.

Regards,

Mike. :happy:

ASG box and citigo are the perfect combination for town or city driving . sure the box has a slow change but its ok. after all its a city car not a sports car or tourer. having said that it performs well on longer journeys. we live in rural town but close to motorway so regular jaunts at 70 mph happen. accept the ASG box for what it is and everything will be fine. you can always slip the box into manual mode if you want to zip about country lanes[ as i do]

• 2 weeks later...

A Pleasure (with cruise control of course)

In my Yeti, I get to my destination relaxed despite having spent so much time behind the wheel.

How does the Citigo compare. I guess this is for the few owners who have both a Yeti and a Citigo.

Sent using whatever device I'm using at the time.

I can compare UP! with Yeti which is the next best thing to Citigo vs Yeti.

Yeti gives you the lofty driving position which makes long distance motorway driving less stressful. The UP! is surprisingly refined on the motorway and has better bump absorption than the Yeti. For a long journey I would pick the Yeti though. The more punchy engines, high driving position and sense of security from driving a bigger car make it more relaxing. Motorway driving in the UP! is certainly no hardship though and as good as tiny cars get.

My wife is happy with hers - one thing i've found is the slower you drive, the less you notice the delay in changing gear.. She finds the Citigo a better drive than my Fabia - less "floaty" and "loose" and driving them side by side I have to agree. You can tell its a newer design chassis - the "wheel at each corner" really does give a big car ride with a small car footprint. Felt very stable at 80+mph on a dual carriageway and would have no issue taking it several hundred miles in one go.

No worse than any other single clutch automated manual and better than most.

What is the ASG like on long journey's - say 400-500 miles in 10 hours, London to Scotland for example?

There are lots of online 'Youtube' videos of the Citigo being driven across 'Urop' by journalist who have collected them from the factory for long term roadtests. They seem to cruise nicely at 80mph all day in complete comfort. I can confirm from my own test drive (in a manual car) that it really does seem like you are driving a much much bigger car. It's solid and has loads of power. At 80mph it was very quiet and revving at 3400rpm with the redline at 6200. Nice!