Hankook Ventus V12 Evo vs Matador MP46 Hectorra2

MillsyVRS

Has anyone had any of the above tyres? (205/40/17 - mk2 Fabia vrs)

I am interested in the Hankook's because they seem to have fairly good reviews, plus they have a C for fuel economy and C for wet grip rating which seems like a fairly good average. also sound fairly quiet too. A lot of others I've found either have one good rating and one rubbish, or fairly low score on both. They aren't to badly priced at around £95 a corner.

My current tyres are Pirelli's which came on the car from new. They are good, never felt the car about to let go, but then never really pushed them THAT hard. just a little noisy, and I think would probably get me to about 20k miles before they need changing. (Fairly soon). The rears seem to have strangely worn not that much slower than the fronts? Just wanting to try something different.

I was surprised with the Matadors because they have got really good reviews and are on camskill for £60 a corner. I'd never normally go for cheap tyres because of how important it is to have good ones, but for that price plus good reviews they seem worth a try. They are rated at E for fuel economy and C for wet grip, and 71db.

Also, is it worth it, in handling terms and having that extra bit of rubber on the road, to go for 215's instead of 205? Shouldn't mess with the speedo too much?

Thoughts?

Thanks for your time, any helpful comments would be appreciated :)

Mike

Great thanks! :). How long did the hankooks last?

I've just found them on the tyremen website for £74 a corner which is brilliant, about £20 less than anywhere else. 4 tyres for less than £300 is brilliant. Think I'll go for these then!

I used these on my 4x4 for a while, so my wear rate won't give you an accurate idea of how they'll wear on a more normal car tbh

I would have replaced them with the same again, but Falken's were much cheaper when I was looking.

My standard tyre is a Toyo T1R, and the V12s' where surprisingly comparable - probably a little bit better in the wet, not as good in the dry.

Definitely better in the wet when down past 3mm - the T1R looses nearly all ability to clear water past 3.5mm of tread.

I've had a pair of Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 on the front of the Octy since last September and on the whole I find them good tyres. I don't tend to drive on the limit but I've found them to be grippy in both wet and dry conditions and they're relatively quiet and cushioning too and are wearing very well.

Had them fitted all round on a previous Focus ST170 and as fronts on a Volvo S60 D5 and they were equally good.

Them v12 hankooks are £65 a corner on camskill. Do have very good reviews for the price, looking to invest in a pair of tyres as today found a bulge on the outer wall of my kumho's (on the car when I bought it)

Tyremen is £17.50 each for fitting, disposal etc. shipping is free so works out £91.50 each fitted.

camskill £64 + 2.99 postage. I can get my mate to fit it for £5 each so still only £72 all in.

save myself £40 for the pair. may go for these tyres myself as don't want to risk my kumho with a 'bulge' to blow out. *touch wood*

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

I have just had 4 Hankook V12 Evo's fitted (Black Circles, £447.20 +£5 MOT) and have noticed a lot more flex in the tire wall than on the previous set (Westlakes on the front....please don't ask I didn't fit them) They are at the right pressures according to the manual/fuel flap and just turning the wheel stationary you can see a lot of flex?

Anyone else have this issue? Am I just being paranoid?

Fanks <3

Hey all,

I have just had 4 Hankook V12 Evo's fitted (Black Circles, £447.20 +£5 MOT) and have noticed a lot more flex in the tire wall than on the previous set (Westlakes on the front....please don't ask I didn't fit them) They are at the right pressures according to the manual/fuel flap and just turning the wheel stationary you can see a lot of flex?

Anyone else have this issue? Am I just being paranoid?

Fanks <3

Forgot to add,

Totally happy with the straight line grip, can floor it in 2nd with no spin, the westlakes couldn't even handle that in 3rd....just a lil twitchy/wobbly when cornering on the limit....

I used to run matadors on my volvo and have had a set on octy aswell and they were good on volvo but not so good on the lighter octy and god did they squeel on the trackday i did on them when been pushed

• 2 weeks later...

I did go for the hankooks in the end and I think they are great! Got them from blackcircles for £90 a corner. They have a fuel efficiency rating of C, compared to the Pirelli's which were an F I think. And I've definitely noticed an improvement in MPG. I haven't really pushed these tyres to the limit yet, but so far they feel great. Very grippy and a lot quieter than the Pirelli's too!

Avoid the Matador MP46 Hectorra 2, I've got them on my car at the moment, not great at all, the KU39's they replaced were MUCH better! I found the V12's great when I had my Ibiza 20VT.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Another belated endorsment for the Hankook's.  Completely unremarkable.  Nothing untowards at all.  No slip, wheelspin or squeals.  No loss of grip or excessive understeer.

The ones fitted to the estate are 225/45/17.  Not noticed any squidgy sidewall - but then I do check the pressures occasionally. 

I rarely drive in cities or urban areas, so don't really know about the sort of slime you get.  I have not noticed any problems in the wet - us rural folk have different types of road contamination, hazzards and road surface degradation to contend with.

The rears are just starting to drone again after 33,000+ miles, some of which was on the front. They will most likely be replaced before winter.  The fronts have done slightly less, just dipping below 3mm so a full set will be needed soon.

Decent wear and quiet (compared to michelins and conti's on the mk1 and bridgestone/dunlops as fitted when I bought the car), grip and handling, stability and straight line tracking, all fine.

Just been quoted £180 for two, all in, for their replacements.  Will ask about a deal on the set.

I will look at getting the alignment re-done.  Some of the pot holes, ramps and other discontinuities are bound to have knocked something out.  That was one of the better things to get done - and money well spent.