Yeti 170 mile muncher?

olibluegoat

No not really. My Octavia with the DSG PD140 averaged around 50mpg. My Yeti is averaging about 37mpg.

I have to say that it never ceases to amaze me how bad the diesel DSG Yeti is on fuel in town.

My Maxidot over reads about 12%

Andy

Maxidot on mine says 52mpg, although we are getting 47mpg in real terms after a year and 18k miles.

Oddly both 1.2 petrols we've had came with very accurate maxidots, within 0.1mpg averaging around 40mpg.

The last couple of fill-ups on mine worked out at 42mpg and the maxidot 2 (reset each time) was 49/50. I've had mid 50s on the maxidot on longer runs but that's unlikely to be much over 45 real usage. Up to 50 mph the economy is good. On the 50mph restricted section of the M62 it'll give 60 or better on the maxidot (likely close to the quoted extra urban figure of 53). Driving at around 70 the maxidot is in the low 40s (or upper 30s if pressing on a little more), so probably no better than 35mpg actual.

Drove my boss's 11 plate Passat to Chester & back recently - didn't like it. The Yeti is a more comfortable place to be and driving is more involving. The family prefers it to the Octavia we had (mkI) but we do miss the boot space. Fortunately the kitchen sink fits nicely in the roofbox, so we can get all the holiday stuff in. For short breaks and normal weekly use the boot is fine, particularly with being able to move/remove the seats.

• Like 1

And there lies the issue. Maxidot is often not as accurate as you may hope for.

My car tells me I'm regularly averaging 46mpg. The reality is its closer to 38mpg (calculated manually).

Through constant measuring and tecording my fuel consumption i am aware of how much out the maxidot is out. The maxidot figures on these occasions are more than high enough to indicate a true 50mpg

• Like 1

Yup ... my calculations have maxidot out by around 5-6%. Again, I guess that can vary from car to car.

Being a "sad old fart" I record the trip mileage, number of litres, and for about the first 18 months the Maxidot trip 2 average, and would agree with Bob that my Maxidot is about 5% out.

Anybody who says they get 50+ mpg on a 170 yeti is talking out there arse or drives like a miss daisy on a Sunday drive behind a milkfloat.

As an overall MPG figure I would tend to agree (without the rather colourful description) ... unless you drive the A429 from Cirencester to Warwick regularly (think single carriageway, some hills and only a few overtaking spots and a few villages where average speed ranges from 35 - 45 in some parts). I don't. However the many journeys on this road I have seen a whisker under 60 on a few occasions with an average for this there and back for the drives reading 55 on Maxidot which is about 4-5% optimistic on my Yeti. The 170 is also ideal for those (few) spirited overtakes.

I used to have an Seat Ibiza MK5 (cracking car by the way) with the 1.6 CR oil burner under the bonnet, overall at legal speeds my 170 2.0 AGA equipped mongrel is only 5-10% worse on MPG. Whip up the speed to that of which is illegal in good ole Blighty though and my Yeti MPG falls off a cliff.... so I'm told :think:

True average MPG for my car is 45 MPG with 80% motorway. Most of my driving is not in rush hour and is before the owls and bats go to bed I might add.

Driven hard you'll get a 170 4x4 into the high 30s.

But by hard, I do mean not hanging around at all.

Think over 80mph.

The Yeti will cruise all day long at 100mph, but you'll be mid 30s for MPG then.

I did see low 20s a couple of times, but I don't think track days count. :D

I only managed 15mpg on my track days!!! 10 minutes of flat out driving.

I haven't done it, but I would be surprised if my Yeti managed anything in the 30's at 100mph. I would expect it to be in the 20's.

Sent using whatever device I'm using at the time.

The Yeti is never going to be an economical "mile muncher" at 80mph (or more) because of it's aerodynamics, however you drop down to a slightly more steady 60 ish and it vastly improves. Certainly off the motorway/autoroute it can keep that speed consistantly, and journey times can be surprisingly shorter than expected.

To me it fits more into the old, classic "Grande Tourismo" mode.

How much does it fall off a cliff? What would it go down to if travelling on the autobahn at 80?

I've been down to the Alps in mine 3 times now for ski holidays, car full of luggage, skis, boots etc. I get her up to 130kph (80mph approximately) using the speed indicator on my Tom Tom rather than the car's speedo, which reads optimistically - so that will be showing about 85/86mph, switch on the cruise control and sit back in the very comfortable seat and eat up the miles. Maxidot usually reads around 45/46mpg, which allowing for my car's 5% error (or even if the error were 10%) still gives a true 40mpg +. I've done the same journey in a number of previous cars including Volvo V50, Audi A4 and VW Passat (all with 2.0 or 1.9 diesels, giving 120/130 bhp) and all of them have given worse mpg, and been less comfortable (except the Passat which had bigger seats).

I've briefly had her up to an indicated (on the speedo) 120mph (so probably 110/115 real speed) but not for a sustained period, and in any event I wasn't looking down to see the mpg reading! The nice thing is that she was steady as a rock at that speed, seemed to squat into the autoroute and really grip. The only car I've driven faster on the autoroute is my old Golf VR6, and the Yeti felt just as good.

I've got a similar commute from B'ham down to Leamington Spa daily, and did wonder how the Yeti would compare to my Fabia vRS (PD130) for economy. I hoped for anything over 40mpg (Furby averaged 50+) so am very pleased with the high 40s it averages (maxidot often shows over 50 mpg). I don't drive it as fast or as hard on motorways as I did the Furby, as it lacks the kick-in-the-back punch of the turbo from legal speeds, so the temptation to "boot it" isn't there.

Mine's only a 140bhp model, so the 170 ought to be better.

As for higher speeds - it's fine up to about 85mph, above which it drinks the fuel. Noticeably so. On a trip back from Oban last year, following a mate in his Audi A4 PD170, I thought I'd have to refill before getting back, the gauge was dropping so much. After a break at some services, I left ahead of him and kept the speed down, and the range quickly adjusted, allowing me to get back with 100+ miles left in the tank.

Strangely the Yeti doesn't feel as "planted" on the motorways as the Furby did despite being larger, though it's in a different league in terms of comfort, illustrated by a more recent Scottish trip, where I set off from Aviemore in the morning, intending to stop when I felt the need, and didn't need to at all. Just tootled along with cruise control, all the way home.

I've got a similar commute from B'ham down to Leamington Spa daily, and did wonder how the Yeti would compare to my Fabia vRS (PD130) for economy. I hoped for anything over 40mpg (Furby averaged 50+) so am very pleased with the high 40s it averages (maxidot often shows over 50 mpg). I don't drive it as fast or as hard on motorways as I did the Furby, as it lacks the kick-in-the-back punch of the turbo from legal speeds, so the temptation to "boot it" isn't there.

Mine's only a 140bhp model, so the 170 ought to be better.

As for higher speeds - it's fine up to about 85mph, above which it drinks the fuel. Noticeably so. On a trip back from Oban last year, following a mate in his Audi A4 PD170, I thought I'd have to refill before getting back, the gauge was dropping so much. After a break at some services, I left ahead of him and kept the speed down, and the range quickly adjusted, allowing me to get back with 100+ miles left in the tank.

Strangely the Yeti doesn't feel as "planted" on the motorways as the Furby did despite being larger, though it's in a different league in terms of comfort, illustrated by a more recent Scottish trip, where I set off from Aviemore in the morning, intending to stop when I felt the need, and didn't need to at all. Just tootled along with cruise control, all the way home.

From my experience of starting with a CR140 and them having it mapped up to CR180 / CR185 I suggest that the CR140 has to work quite hard on the Motorway, and will frequently downshift to maintain speed, particularly on an incline. The extra power / torque of the CR 170 (+) negates this and is able to be more relaxed; thereby giving better fuel consumption.

Your CR140 lacking a 'kick in the back' punch at M'way speeds is down to a (relative) lack of torque; the CR170 is not afflicted this way.

As to the Yeti not being as 'planted' as a Furby; don't forget the brick like aero of a Yeti will be much more susceptible to sidewinds.

Mine seems to "pick up" pace at higher speeds - it's more responsive from 85 than from 70. The Fabia was right on the power band at 70 and I didn't need to change down to pull away from cars behind. Plus the CR delivers acceleration more smoothly than the old PD engine, which was very much like the Scooby in terms of wait, wait, wait, whoo-hoo before having to change gear. Scooby of course had a much more drawn out whoo-hoo phase :D

I haven't found the need to change down gears (mine is a manual though) when trundling along the motorway, even through the Lakes, Scotland etc.But the extra torque & power of the 170 would be noticeable, obviously.

I agree, the Yeti is susceptible to side-winds and is (comically) brick-shaped, so doesn't aid any sort of aero-dynamics. Strangely though, the Fabia also felt more "planted" than my Impreza.

I'm still toying with the idea of remapping mine. I deliberately avoided it with my Fabia as I do over 20k per annum, so wanted to minimise risk of engine problems... and had the turbo fail anyway! :wall:

Mine seems to "pick up" pace at higher speeds - it's more responsive from 85 than from 70. The Fabia was right on the power band at 70 and I didn't need to change down to pull away from cars behind. Plus the CR delivers acceleration more smoothly than the old PD engine, which was very much like the Scooby in terms of wait, wait, wait, whoo-hoo before having to change gear. Scooby of course had a much more drawn out whoo-hoo phase :D

I haven't found the need to change down gears (mine is a manual though) when trundling along the motorway, even through the Lakes, Scotland etc.But the extra torque & power of the 170 would be noticeable, obviously.

I agree, the Yeti is susceptible to side-winds and is (comically) brick-shaped, so doesn't aid any sort of aero-dynamics. Strangely though, the Fabia also felt more "planted" than my Impreza.

I'm still toying with the idea of remapping mine. I deliberately avoided it with my Fabia as I do over 20k per annum, so wanted to minimise risk of engine problems... and had the turbo fail anyway! :wall:

Where in the world / UK are you? Would you like to meet up and sample my mapped CR140?

Just another thought on the way the newer CR oil burners deliver power.

I used to have a 2002 Mondeo 2.0 130 TDCi that had an arguably 1st generation consumer common rail diesel engine. That car was very prone to stalling on take off until you got used to it but once the revs came up and the attached hoover started spinning there was a seemingly huge glob of torque that was capable of launching the car forward for very easy overtaking.... with one exception.. that huge glob of extra power was gone as quickly as it had arrived after a very short time, it was only about 1- 1.5 RPM power band or there about if I recall correctly so you had to be ready for the up shift. Any one who rode an original Yamaha RD350LC circa 1982 will understand this on off power.

Now, remember back in 2002 there was a lot less focus on carbon emissions so the car felt as if the loud pedal was directly connected to the throttle bodies attached to the bit that got hot under the bonnet (or hood for those who watch too many imported US crime dramas). Things seem to have changed over the last 6 years or so as every car that I have tested since there has been a feeling that there are those electronic carbon reducing gizmos that are sitting between the loud pedal and said hot bit under the bonnet controlling the amount of engine food is delivered regardless of how hard the throttle pedal is depressed.

Now back on topic for our four pawed 170 snow monster. This car is no where near as easy to stall on take off compared to my now departed old Ford and the power delivery seems a lot more petrol engine like. That hoover being variable vane I guess combined with clever fueling seems to have extended the power band but has also softened its power delivery and expiry. Gone is that feeling of lots of power followed by no power but more welcome is that more controllable progressive lunacy that spans a greater rev range. So although initially the car didn't 'feel' quite as exciting as the old Ford just a glimpse at the speedometer and rate of acceleration combined with a glance out the windows clearly showed that the 170 SM is no slouch (nearly 2 seconds quicker to 60 than my old Ford) It is a much better day to day engine and far better for those times when you want to drive with a modicum of spirit.

Our commute is 50kms mix of mostly motorway with 10 mins of urban driving either end.

We manage in our 170ps Yeti 50+ mpg most of the time, my personal record being 56mpg (as per the display).

I should mention though that our commute is a relatively slow one, I would only spend a few miles going faster than 60mph.

on 70mph+ journeys it drops into the mid-40s

Edited by spank_inferno

Hi Spank_Inferno. You quote your commute distance in Kms and your SM as a 170ps, yet your fuel and speed in mpg and mph. Are you on the continent or here? Would you be a pal and give us a clue in your profile :think: :hi: ?

Hi Spank_Inferno. You quote your commute distance in Kms and your SM as a 170ps, yet your fuel and speed in mpg and mph. Are you on the continent or here? Would you be a pal and give us a clue in your profile :think: :hi: ?

Ireland.

Our world is an EU mandatede metric one..... but we all yearn for the good ol' days of MPH/MPG

So, on point.

We find the 170 is a terrific mile muncher.

Edited by spank_inferno