From Fabia Monte Carlo to YETI 1.2 TSI SE+

BigV

I bought my wife a Fabia MC just 18 months ago. We loved the sporty looks and character of the car but the low profile alloys and comparatively harsh ride were proving to be a pain.With the rough roads and dare I say it my wifes not so brilliant parrallel parking skills I couldn't see the car keeping its value too well.

I always liked the Yeti but thought it a bit expensive. My wife was worried about the size of the thing but I managed to convince her it wasn't a huge amount bigger than the Fabia. After a lot of negotiating on a showroom fresh vehicle we took the plunge on a

1.2 TSI SE + in Muscovado and picked it up 10 days ago.

Extra's are all based on keeping it looking good. Skoda boot liner, rubber floor mats, mudflaps and fold out bumper protector. (Dog owner). All these items fit perfectly, are of good quality, fit perfectly and are reasonably priced IMO. Also bought some Skoda Sill protectors. These fit well but seem a little bit cheap for the £20 or so they cost. A set of Halfords padded front seat protectors finish it off and add even greater comfort to an already good ride.

I have to say I'm hugely impressed with the car. I drive a Lexus myself but the Yeti is way more comfortable. The lofty ride and huge glass area makes for a really relaxed drive and wifey is not finding it as difficult to park as she thought. We took it for a 600 mile round trip this weekend and averaged 37mpg + motorway speeds, fully loaded with 4 adults a dog and luggage. Expecting even better mpg as it runs in.

PS. She's just read this post and commented that she is really enjoying her first few days with the car. Praise indeed!

Hope to keep you updated and may post a pic soon

We have best of both a Yeti and a Monte Carlo, the latter is currently on 15" 195/55 winters, which improves the ride no end.

Mind I understand your other concerns, as my good lady regularly visits elderly relatives who have a narrow 1930's drive and a hedge to doge round, sadly she found the hedge again last week :S

TP

We have best of both a Yeti and a Monte Carlo, the latter is currently on 15" 195/55 winters, which improves the ride no end.

Mind I understand your other concerns, as my good lady regularly visits elderly relatives who have a narrow 1930's drive and a hedge to doge round, sadly she found the hedge again last week :S

TP

I strongly considered changing the wheels on the Monte but decided it defeated the purpose of buying a sporty looking car in the first place. 3 of the 4 black alloys were severely scraped. I priced getting them repaired at £60 a corner but by my wifes own admission it was only a matter of time before she hit another kerb. The Yeti is way more capable, we do alot of hill walking with the dog so it will suit our lifestyle better as well.

We are also a Yeti and Fabia couple. Without wanting to upset anyone, I've never really got the Monte. The VRS is the Fabia to go for if you want performance. Our 105TSi DSG has all the performance of the Monte with a more comfortable ride. Still. each to his own and Monte's seem to sell well.

Your cars are so clean TP.

Or do you photoshop the dirt off the pics before uploading them? (That's probably what i'll have to do!) :rofl:

Thankyou for the compliment, much appreciated but I caught them on a good day after a rare wash :giggle:

Mind the white is an easy colour to look after :)

Regards,

TP

• Like 1

We are also a Yeti and Fabia couple. Without wanting to upset anyone, I've never really got the Monte. The VRS is the Fabia to go for if you want performance. Our 105TSi DSG has all the performance of the Monte with a more comfortable ride. Still. each to his own and Monte's seem to sell well.

This got me quite frustrated on the Fabia side of the forum. The VRS owners seemed to think it was a threat to their Top of the Tree status. In our 105 bhp version the performance was more than adequate if I'd wanted more I'd have bought the VRS. Not everyone wants the performance, harsh ride and standard DSG gearbox of the VRS, but do like to have the sporty looks. Many people, myself included, thought the Monte a better looking package and should have been similar to the way the VRS looked as standard. Clearly many VRS owners agreed and started converting their cars with the Monte's black pack. This forced Skoda to sell the complete black package as an aftermarket upgrade and then also put the grill as standard or no cost option on new VRS's.

Rarely if ever do I buy a car based on styling but for some strange reason I've always liked the look of the Monte from day one, hence decided to have one before they are no longer available. Also don't see the trim as an out and out hot hatch, more an affordable special edition in tribute to the famous rally (2011 version) and more latterly Skoda's sporting heritage and recent rally success.

Oh yes the ride is interesting on standard 17" alloys and 40 profile tyres, again SUK's choice to ignore the more sensible 16" wheels as in Europe but not that much in it really, unlike with the Yeti ;)

TP

Edited by The Plumber