handbrake releasing on its own

went to a pub today (i didnt drink btw) parked up on a slight hill. went away for 10 minutes car had, rolled into a mini cooper.

a friend of mine was there and tried to stop it, didnt roll far but far enough to have put a scratch on the minis bumper and knock the plastic out around the fog light. the owner was there lol.

came back to find this, the handbrake was pulled up but i could of pulled it further but i`m sure when i put it on originally it felt tighter than when i went back to it and reapplied it.

a guy in a bora who was there said he had a similar problem with the brakes expanding with heat and then cooling and contracting hence rolling forward. btw it took 5 minutes before it rolled.

has this happened to anyone else btw or am i special lol

ALWAYS leave you car in gear ..... brake discs expand with heat ..... brake pads expand with heat ........... braking causes heat ....... this means after using brakes and parking up your car the brakes are warm when its sat they cool down and the discs and pads contract releasing the handbrake.

it is not a problem it is common sense. if your car is in gear it will not move.

This is one of the biggest problems with the new driving test ... you are marked down and told never to leave the car in gear. when leaving a vehicle parked it should always be left in gear

Edited by Holmesie
  • Like 1