DPF + flashing coil + limp mode

Car is an Octavia VRS 07.

DPF light came on the car again last week. After a few days the light was still on so I filled the tank and put in some DPF cleaner.

The next day during a slightly longer run the coil light started to flash and a few minutes later the car went into limp mode.

I have read the fault codes and this was the only one:

P2002 - Particulate Trap Efficiency Below Threshold

I am guessing that the pressure sensor is the problem - any tests I can do to confirm? Can anyone provide me the part number and price? I tried ringing local skoda but they wouldnt give out the part number, said it was around £77 and wasn't 100% sure it was the correct one.

Is the sensor a straight swap over and reset codes? Or do I need to do some sort of force regen?

Thanks

The fault code isn't related to the common weak point - the the G450 gas pressure sensor

Instead of filling with fuel and using the DPF cleaner you should have referred to the manual.

When the DPF light illuminates the car is telling you it needs your help to reach the required temperature in the DPF to burn off the trapped soot.

To do this on the PD170 you need to maintain a speed of over 40mph and 2,000rpm for between 10 and 15 minutes. This gives the car time to alter the fuel mix which gets the DPF nice and hot and to allows it to complete a regeneration. Each time you slow down, stop, or turn off the engine the regen is interuppted and it has to start all over again.

Leaving it has meant that the DPF has continued to fill with soot. The EML, glowplug light and limp-home mode means you can now no longer regenerate the DPF yourself. It's now a trip to the dealer (or run a regen yourself using VCDS).

Do this sooner rather than later. If you leave it much longer and the DPF exceeds 45% capacity it is no longer possible to clear it yourself and it'll be either a new DPF £1,000+ or a DPF removal approx. £500.

Out of interest what is the mileage on the car?

Defo get the regen ASAP from the dealer. Think they charge between £80 and £100 and is much cheaper than the alternative

If you can read the fault codes you might be able to see the soot loading. As silver says above 45 grams then new dpf. I was quoted £1700 from skida to do mine so sold the car :)

Thanks. My dealer is over 50 miles away and I don't want to drive that far in limp mode or risk damaging further.

I know someone who has VCDS, is there a procedure or any details on how force regen through VCDS and how to check the capacity of the DPF?

thinline1 - the car has done around 65k.

Got VCDS and 75.3 is reading 53.9% (presume this is actually grams).

Does this mean now if i do a force regen it still won't attempt it?

Is there any way I can temporarily get the car out of limp mode?

Is it possible to remove the DPF and clean it?

I had the same problem with my 07 VRS not long after I got it.. Read all the horror stories of it catching on fire doing a forced regen etc etc but turned out to be a load of rubbish.

After replacing the pressure sensor (which is a bit of a pain but not too hard) located at the top left of the engine bay as you look at it (1 torx screw and 2 pipes with clips to remove) I got a mate over with VCDS, plugged it in and did a forced regen.. I drove up and down a bit of duel carriageway in 4th gear at about 2500 rpm and you could see the temp shoot up to over 700 degrees and the soot content going down.. when finished it was at 0.1 % and the car has been fine since...

I found the part number on here, but you need to be sure you get the updated one as chances are your car will have the old one..

Hope you get it sorted soon but its a fairly easy job, hardest part is finding someone with VCDS these days..

It wont come out of limp mode by the way until the soot is at a safe level, the min this happened in my car the lights went off and full power returned.

Thanks Dread. Was you one over 45 though?

Do you think your sensor was faulty or was it just needing the forced regen?

Will try a forced regen soon, battery on the laptop has died.

Edited by BMcN

no worries, yes mine was over 45% i think it was in the higher 50`s (59% i believe hence why i didnt think it would work after reading all the horror stories on here)

I would get the pressure sensor and replace that, it was a gamble for me but the car was un-driveable so after searching around I went ahead and got one then did the regen, turns out my mate who had VCDS had done exactly the same on his passat PD170 4 days earlier!!

The replacement sensor is supposed to be a better design so less prone to failure.. also bear in mind that when you get the reading in VCDS currently I think that comes from the sensor so it may change with a new one fitted as the computer gets an accurate measurement before and after the DPF..

Thanks everyone for the help, problem solved. Will just give some more details incase anyone else comes across this post when looking for help themselves.

Plugging in VCDS and measuring block 70 and 75 I was presented with my DPF reading of 54.

I did a force regen and as soon as I did I got full power back but all lights on dash still on. I started by driving at 35mph in 3rd and it started trickling down, a couple of percent in 3 miles( Block 70.1 was 00000001 at the time, so regen was active but not force regen). I then changed up to 4th and sat about 60, this caused the pre exhaust gas temp to get much higher and 70.1 changed over to 00000010, so this told me it was in force regen and it started coming down much faster. After a couple of miles it reduced to about 20% and the coil light stopped flashing, a couple more and the DPF light went off at 8%. It then stopped regenerating. I forced it to do another regen till it went down to 0.0.

Everything seems happy again, no fault codes and car running well. Scary to think what Skoda may have charged for that!

Thanks all.

Cool gald to hear that. My understanding is that if the soot loading it too high then the car will not allow the regen at all, so looks like you caught it in time.

DPF's do have a shelf life so if you are planning to keep the car but put the money to one side for when the inevitiable happens.

Spoke to loads of people about this when mine got full. VW quote that the DPF is inspected at 80k as do Skoda, but speaking to various people 80k seems to be the minimum (of course depending on driving style etc...). I have no idea if the shelf life for a CR engine is better than the PD, would assume so due to the DPF being designed to work with the engine, other than bolted on in the case of the PD engines.

Has really put me off getting another VRs PD version TBH as you never know how other owners have driven the car!

Cool gald to hear that. My understanding is that if the soot loading it too high then the car will not allow the regen at all, so looks like you caught it in time.

It was too high, what the OP has demonstrated is that where Skoda would refuse to perform a forced regen (claiming it shouldn't or can't be done) it is in fact quite possible to do one.

• Like 1

See here to check which gas pressure sensor you have...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/237798-dpf-light-on-no-town-driving-pd170-vrs/page__hl__%20gas%20%20pressure%20%20sensor

If it has 'MADE IN USA' on it then it's the weak one. If it has 'Made in Malaysia' on it then you have the latest improved version.

• 5 years later...
On 10/04/2013 at 20:09, BMcN said:

Thanks everyone for the help, problem solved. Will just give some more details incase anyone else comes across this post when looking for help themselves.

Plugging in VCDS and measuring block 70 and 75 I was presented with my DPF reading of 54.

I did a force regen and as soon as I did I got full power back but all lights on dash still on. I started by driving at 35mph in 3rd and it started trickling down, a couple of percent in 3 miles( Block 70.1 was 00000001 at the time, so regen was active but not force regen). I then changed up to 4th and sat about 60, this caused the pre exhaust gas temp to get much higher and 70.1 changed over to 00000010, so this told me it was in force regen and it started coming down much faster. After a couple of miles it reduced to about 20% and the coil light stopped flashing, a couple more and the DPF light went off at 8%. It then stopped regenerating. I forced it to do another regen till it went down to 0.0.

Everything seems happy again, no fault codes and car running well. Scary to think what Skoda may have charged for that!

Thanks all.

i know this was A longgg time ago but really need ur help.

i have audi A5, DPF light + coil light flashing WITH LIMP MODE ON.. just seeing that you did a forced regen by doin 35mph in 3rd then 4th at 60mph for around 20minutes in total.

just want to check, did u manage to do all of this with LIMP MODE ON? if not how did u manage to turn limp mode off to do this regen?

my limp mode is on so should i just put it into manual and do what you did or?

thanks so much!

5 minutes ago, mpaca said:

i have audi A5, DPF light + coil light flashing WITH LIMP MODE ON.. just seeing that you did a forced regen by doin 35mph in 3rd then 4th at 60mph for around 20minutes in total.

just want to check, did u manage to do all of this with LIMP MODE ON? if not how did u manage to turn limp mode off to do this regen?

thanks so much!

Evening, lucky I still had email alerts for the thread turned on.  

I think when you force regen it will give you full power back.  If you monitor those blocks I mentioned you should be able to see when it begins its regen, then just maintain that speed and revs.

14 hours ago, mpaca said:

thanks so much!

If you have this condition, no normal regeneration will happen. I believe that forced regeneration can be done only by VCDS software... be aware that if you drive for quite a long time then your DPF might get too full to even perform that (it's said that the car might burn).

But... once I had your situation but the service guy couldn't do the forced regeneration. Tried it twice but both times it ended because of some reason. Finally he deleted the fault and suggested me to drive hard for some time. Did it for some time but anyway DPF light showed (without coils, though). And then I managed to clear it while driving in suggested style - at least 60kph, 2-2,5 k rpm.

So, I guess that without removing the fault, you won't be able to clear the DPF.

19 hours ago, BMcN said:

Evening, lucky I still had email alerts for the thread turned on.  

I think when you force regen it will give you full power back.  If you monitor those blocks I mentioned you should be able to see when it begins its regen, then just maintain that speed and revs.

ah so you used VCDS to get you out of limp mode? thanks for replying

5 hours ago, Jevpls said:

If you have this condition, no normal regeneration will happen. I believe that forced regeneration can be done only by VCDS software... be aware that if you drive for quite a long time then your DPF might get too full to even perform that (it's said that the car might burn).

But... once I had your situation but the service guy couldn't do the forced regeneration. Tried it twice but both times it ended because of some reason. Finally he deleted the fault and suggested me to drive hard for some time. Did it for some time but anyway DPF light showed (without coils, though). And then I managed to clear it while driving in suggested style - at least 60kph, 2-2,5 k rpm.

So, I guess that without removing the fault, you won't be able to clear the DPF. 

thanks so much for the reply too!

so was your car ever in limp mode? 

no normal regeneration will happen whilst the coil light is on i think? the regeneration CAN happen with the DPF light only though?

so youre saying i basically need to somehow get OUT of limp mode AND turn the coil error off (using OBD2?) . 

i had the DPF light FIRST but ignored it.. it was never constant though. it came on then went off so i didnt think much of it. its not like i had it for 2 weeks straight. but now its gone to coil/ limp.

sometimes when i start it up the coil light/ limp mode isnt present so hopefully i will be able to blast it before it comes on?

ive seen soem people physically clean their DPF with pressure hoses etc.

anywho

otherwise will have to pay for VCDS, dont suppose you know anyone around nothamptonshire?