Motorway Blowout. 2 Tyres wrecked. Evergreens Fitted, Oh dear.

If its any use this is my FOI request (my questions in bold) together with the local council's responses...

FOI Request: N6641

Moxby Lane, Stillington

Dates of all safety Inspections undertaken on the carriageway received between 09/01/01/2011 – 09/01/2013

– Please see attachments

Details of all carriageway defects identified during safety inspections received between 09/01/2011 – 09/01/2013

– Please see attachments

Details of how carriageway safety inspections are undertaken, including whether they are walked or driven, the speed of the inspection vehicle and number of persons in the vehicle

Carriageway inspections are carried out in a slow moving vehicle with a driver and Highway Inspector in the vehicle. The speed of the vehicle is approximately 20mph. These regular comprehensive inspections look at all highway elements, such as potholes, edge erosion, scabbing etc which could have an impact on network safety.

The intended frequency of carriageway safety inspections

The frequencies of the safety inspections are annual

Details of all complaints and/or enquiries relating to the carriageway received between 09/01/2011 – 09/01/2013

- see attachments

The Hierarchy Classification

It is an unclassified road

The road section number and classification.

The road number is U1702

The defect intervention criteria adopted in relation to the identification of all categories of the carriageway defects/potholes.

Please find below a copy of the defect and categorisation keys that are used in an inspection.

The time period(s) adopted between identification and repair *(temporary to permanent)* of all categories of carriageway defects.

The time period between the identification and repair of a defect is based on the category of the defect found and the classification of the road.

Have you adopted all or part of the standards contained within the National Code of Practice for Highways Maintenance Management?

With regards to your question pertaining to whether or not we have "adopted all or part of the standards contained within the National Code of Practice for Highways Maintenance Management?" I assume that you are referring to 'Well-Maintained Highways, the code of practice for highway maintenance management' that was published in July 2005.

Following its publication, the County Council in conjunction with it's insurers, Financial Services and Legal and Democratic Services undertook a review of the recommendations and subsequently documented it's response in a Highway Maintenance Plan that was formally adopted by The County Council on the 7th February 2006 becoming effective from the 1st April the same year.

Edited by silver1011

First you can just ask BEAR, simple and quick.

If you do not ask you never learn if they will tell without need for doing anything else.

The picture on the right in post #47 shows the 'yellow start line for the repair' on the centre line that was done or is to be done, before the White Line gets painted again.

that was probably not sprayed on the road that long ago.

george

Yea you can see the yellow mark. You would hope this would help my claim if anything as they have deemed the road unsatisfactory and have at least started to think about repairing it. At least they cannot come back and say they were no aware of the pothole. Got a reply from Aberdeen Roads dept saying its definately BEAR who are responsible. Havent heard from them yet.

Silver,i know that road well,i use it to visit friends in huby & easingwold,the road from farlington to the junction for sutton on the forest/stillington is shocking,hopefully i will be soon using it every day to travel to work & im not looking foward to it in my vrs. It needs re-surfacing asap.

BEAR may just ignore you and hope you go away. Since they're not subject to FOISA there's not a lot you can do to force them to give you info. In terms of trying to recover loss again not a lot you can do short of threatening legal action but you should never threaten anything unless you're prepared to go through with it. even doing it yourself via small claims it's going to cost more in time and effort than it's worth.

Personally if they don't play nicely then I'd involve my MSP and the MSP for the area where it happened and get them on the case - stress the road safety angle, risk of kids like your 10 month old being injured etc

Silver,i know that road well,i use it to visit friends in huby & easingwold,the road from farlington to the junction for sutton on the forest/stillington is shocking,hopefully i will be soon using it every day to travel to work & im not looking foward to it in my vrs. It needs re-surfacing asap.

I've complained so much about Moxby Lane, I even took it to the head of highways at NYCC and the Government Ombudsman.

I'm reporting the same stretch of road every couple of weeks.

No budget to repair it. You can see how bad its deteriorated in less than a year. Not a nice experience in a vRS!

MoxbyLane_zpse860227e.jpg

I've complained so much about Moxby Lane, I even took it to the head of highways at NYCC and the Government Ombudsman.

I'm reporting the same stretch of road every couple of weeks.

No budget to repair it. You can see how bad its deteriorated in less than a year. Not a nice experience in a vRS!

MoxbyLane_zpse860227e.jpg

That's appalling.

Ref making a successful claim, in law is in the police. The police have made numerous reports on a serious pot hole that damaged an area car on blues heading to a serious RTA. I understand around 20 police reports were sent to the head of highways maintenance at the county council.

In laws car damaged a few weeks later. Council told both to go forth!

• 1 month later...

Just been offered a settlement from bear. I only asked for the £180 plus £60 for a wheel refurb. Wheel is actually virtually fine so wont bother with refurb. Decided to not be greedy hoping it would increase my chances of being sucessfull. Whether thus influenced it or not ill never know but im happy at least as im not out of pocket.

Big thanks to sk4gw for probably the most valuable bits of evidence. Cheers for that George. Just waiting for cheque to arrive but it will feel like a wee bonus now as it was so long ago. Nice one.

• Like 3

• 4 years later...

Just bumping this for anyone  fighting a claim for Pothole damage. Do not give up just because people tell you no way Jose!

Since the pictures are now gone from the thread i am posting some that were used by the OP to get compensated in the end.

A90 Southbound Laurencekirk to Speed camera 15.4.13 033.JPG

A90 Southbound Laurencekirk to Speed camera 15.4.13 039.JPG

A90 Southbound Laurencekirk to Speed camera 15.4.13 040.JPG

A90 Southbound Laurencekirk to Speed camera 15.4.13 041.JPG

A90 Southbound Laurencekirk to Speed camera 15.4.13 044.JPG

A90 Southbound Laurencekirk to Speed camera 15.4.13 045.JPG

A90 Southbound Laurencekirk to Speed camera 15.4.13 051.JPG

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Same location on the A90 near Laurencekirk 5 years on and many drivers at serious risk as big potholes opened up on this dual carriageway.

Badly damaged cars, suspension and tyres.

Obviously it is winter, and there has been serious conditions, ice, snow and rain, but BEAR are going to have to be monitoring this location closer, 

and hopefully they will be paying out if the inspections were not done daily as they can easily do when the road is not snow covered.

Monster pothole _as wide as the road_ forces multiple vehicles off A90 - The Courier.mhtml

Edited by AwaoffSki

There is a total monster of a pot hole opened up on the A90 just south of Dundee on the southbound slow lane. Was about 3' across and deep.

I've also heard of the one George is talking about. I was told it covered a large portion of the carriageway and had damaged a lot of cars already. It may be the stuff of legend but the roads have certainly crumbled as a result of one week of moderately cold weather.

^^^ 
Have you been southbound in the past days A9 after Blackford, before the Filling Station? 

Going past there tomorrow and will be going slow in the inside lane.

That was where i had the worst blowout i have had in the outside lane with HGV's on the inside and both lay-bys were full of vehicles some with 4 tyres gone,

broken rims, suspension.

I was the first that got assistance because i had a Motability car which had no spare. Recovery truck from Blackford came took the wheel away and came back with a new tyre on, 

2 hours waiting, and no Police passed, but once i was up at the Little Chef they were there and had been all morning.

I asked at the garage, and then went and spoke to the officers.  

They said there were no reports received, so that must be the AA / RAC that do not contact the police, or call call centre not contact officers / patrols, 

having a break officers....

Edited by AwaoffSki