Exhaust inspection system fault light

Hi,

I've searched through the threads and haven't found anything that matches the problem I'm facing.

Upon start of ignition, the Exhaust inspection system amber light comes on on left hand instrument cluster (Superb II 2010 reg). The car ignition turns over but will not start, even if I leave ignition turned for 3-4seconds.

I've scanned for faults using VCDS and found nothing of note.

Anyone any advice - I intend to get it towed to a garage tomorrow, but just wondering if anyone here can shed any light on what it may be?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Forgot to reply back to the original reply.

the car is a diesel common rail.

The problem turned out to be a flooded engine apparaently, fixed by turning the ignition to keep ignition turning over and pressing down the accelerator and revving the *** out of engine to burn off fuel, or so my wife told me what the call out mechanic did. Simple as that.

If your light is on and car is allowing you to continue to drive, then that is a different problem that I had.

Flooding a diesel - that's a new one on me. 'flooding' a petrol engine is a different story, and is something of a misnomer. The combustion chamber is not filled with fuel - the spark plug is simply soaking wet with fuel, and therefore will not generate a spark.

Struggling to see how the term 'flooding' can apply to, or happen to a modern diesel.

Flooding a diesel - that's a new one on me. 'flooding' a petrol engine is a different story, and is something of a misnomer. The combustion chamber is not filled with fuel - the spark plug is simply soaking wet with fuel, and therefore will not generate a spark.

Struggling to see how the term 'flooding' can apply to, or happen to a modern diesel.

Only stating what I heard 2nd hand from my wife. The fix was as stated, just to rev the crap out of the engine, presumably to burn off excess fuel from wherever. I'll let those more in the know to deciphher the real cause.

The only thing I can think of that comes close relates to the variable geometry turbocharger. It has vanes that move (either by vacuum or electrically actuated). If the car is driven like a grandma, it doesn't really request much boost, so the vanes don't get exercised, so they soot up and get stuck, mostly due to sooty EGR gasses. Could this trigger a fault light? I don't know. Maybe it performs a self test at each start, detects the stuck condition and then sets a fault. This wouldn't prevent the engine from starting however. Plus I think this lights the MIL light (the glow-plug-noodle light) and not the DPF light.