Thinking about upgrading to the Superb Estate

Hi

My brilliant little Roomster is coming up to three years old later this year and have a few decisions to make.

I was thinking about paying off the balance and keeping the Roomster as it's been fantastic but under a little pressure from the family to upgrade from the 'noddy' car .

I have looked at the new Passat, Octavia and Superb. For some reason I keep coming back to the Superb as it just seems to be really good value for money.

VW are offering 1500 dealer contribution at the moment with only 3% ish interest but when I add some nice options the list price seems to get silly.

I have noticed Skoda are offering the vat free on petrol Superb Estates. Would that be the current and the next facelift model ?

I will probably stick with the diesel version but what are the 1.8 TSI DSG versions like in the real world for driving and mpg? There is a Sept 11 1.8 TSI Elegance 11k miles with loads of extras for just under 17k! I could get a Passat 2.0 CR 140 SE for similar or loads of Superbs. Very hard to narrow things down!

1.8 Tsi DSG is a cracker, smooth quiet and more than rapid enough, real world mpg I have not had less than 30mpg and that's cold short runs over the winter, mixed driving comes in 40mpg. If your not doing mega miles the petrol superbs are a real bargain. Go and try one, you won't be disappointed.

I've never regretted buying my Superb 1.8 TSI, although if you want to have an overall fuel consumption of 7 liters, (40 MPG), don't drive over 65.

One more piece of advice, especially in these days: Never borrow money for a car! If you can't pay it, than don't and keep saving money until you have enough money to simple buy it. This will keep your financials healthy, and if you ever experience a financial drawback, you're not stuck with a loan you still have to pay.

Your current car is only three years old, so there doesn't seem to be any necessity to buy a new one now.

I agree with `Superbster`. I've had my 1.8 Tsi DSG for just over 9 months from new. The maxiidot (which apparently is a little optimistic) is showing average fuel consumption during that period of 40.4mpg. I'm chuffed!

Many thanks for the replies. Very tempted with the 1.8 as I can see my mileage dropping down to about 14k max per year.

I am self employed so I can claim back a certain amount of the loan interest, costs and depreciation on the car. In a daft way it seems better to change every few years and also have the warranty as a safety net. I need the car to be reliable and if anything goes wrong would prefer it to be covered.

You can see where the car finance is clever with the pcp options to tempt you with the new car. 3% interest on Vw PCP and 1500 dealer deposit. Used options from 8 to 12% interest. Do agree with the saving for a car as you still end up paying on finance.

Some of these used cars have lost over 10k in just over a year and someone has already paid for the costly options. So the best option could be to save and buy a slightly older car. That's ok if you are going to keep it long term .

It's a difficult one...

Keep an eye on autotrader for pre reg examples, my SE cost me a touch under £18000 with 100 miles on it. One of the nicest cars I've owned. My personal opinion on finance is to live for today, make sure the deposit covers initial depreciation so the car should always cover the outstanding balance. I rarely keep a car past 2 years (although current ones looking good for a while yet) and certainly couldn't change regularly without finance. It would be nice to buy outright but unfortunatley I just can't wait :-).

• Like 1

I've never regretted buying my Superb 1.8 TSI, although if you want to have an overall fuel consumption of 7 liters, (40 MPG), don't drive over 65.

I can get easily 42-43mpg when doing ~72mph, travelling from on M6 J40-J32 - and it's not flat at all, so I guess I should be able to see 43-45mpg in more "flat" conditions :).

The only thing I regret is - why I haven't bought 2.0TSI :giggle:

One more piece of advice, especially in these days: Never borrow money for a car! If you can't pay it, than don't and keep saving money until you have enough money to simple buy it. This will keep your financials healthy, and if you ever experience a financial drawback, you're not stuck with a loan you still have to pay.

Your current car is only three years old, so there doesn't seem to be any necessity to buy a new one now.

I can repay my car any second, but it was worth ~£300 to go 0% interest. Simply - if I keep 11k (second half of car's value) on some saving account (~3%) for 2 years, I will end up with almost one instalment for free :rofl:

• Like 1

Keep an eye on autotrader for pre reg examples, my SE cost me a touch under £18000 with 100 miles on it. One of the nicest cars I've owned. My personal opinion on finance is to live for today, make sure the deposit covers initial depreciation so the car should always cover the outstanding balance. I rarely keep a car past 2 years (although current ones looking good for a while yet) and certainly couldn't change regularly without finance. It would be nice to buy outright but unfortunatley I just can't wait :-).

Don't get me wrong but you can get Elegance estate for 20k, brand new :).

It's a difficult one...

I'm doing ~20k miles a year and still decided to go with petrol. I just couldn't justify paying 5k more for diesel. Plus diesel means cam belt change every 4 years and your pocket is £300 lighter.

I did some calcs before buying my current car and according to them it would save me 2.5k over 5 years if I have bought a diesel (assumed 16k a year). Plus I hated diesel's behaviour (170HP) - noisy and lazy. So for me choice was very simple.

I'm absolutely delighted with my 1.8TSi estate. I can drive it very gently and don't need to exceed 2000 rpm to make respectable progress. If I floor the throttle I can scare the **** out of me and any passengers! We did a 1600 mile round trip to the Alps recently with a ski box on the roof and achieved an average consumption of 35/26mpg. This included extensive AutoRoute use and some winding and steep alpine roads. We did record 75mpg on departing our last resort, but that represented about 20 miles downhill all the way!!

It will do about 5mpg better without the box.

It's the quietest and smoothest car I've ever had.

Personally I'm delighted with the SE Plus spec with added heated screen and seats.

Don't get me wrong but you can get Elegance estate for 20k, brand new :).

But when I bought mine the list price including options was £24000 even with VAT offer it was over a £1000 saving and I bought it on Monday and picked it up Thursday so no long wait :)