occasional one-off noise after engine start

Hi all,

Recently, I've noticed a strange noise that happens ~1 second after the engine start, only last ~0.5 second then disappear.

It sounds like metal friction caused short low frequency resonance sound (like someone bows a Double Bass once) under the bonnet

This happens twice or three times a week, normally at morning start or after work start (engine cooled for a good few hours).

Does it sound like a valve or something?

The problem is this does not always happen so it's difficult to check. Every time I called a friend to help checking with bonnet open, it didn't happen...

It's a one year old Superb 2012 mode, just over 6,000 miles, due in service next month.

Thanks!

I have this and have done so since I've had the car. I called out `Skoda Assist` when the car was just a few days old, but he could find nothing wrong. It happens most mornings but I've had no ill effects so I tend to just ignore it. Might be worth a mention though when you take it in for service.

I'll mention this to the mechanics

Would it be the fan or compressor or anything else?

The only thing changed was that the air-con is kept on all time now, as suggested by someone here.

I assume it is the correct thing to do (always keep the air-con on)?

Could it be the starter not disengaging properly or is it something else, maybe a belt slipping?

As above ask the techies when you go in next, might even be worth a call in case it's a problem they already know about.

I posted on here recently about a similar odd noise I was getting with my air con. Car is the same age as yours with similar miles a 170CR.

Try disengaging the air con and see if that stops it. If it does mine was cured by a recharging of the air con under warranty. The dealer did say that the Superb in his opinion was sensitive to the level of gas in the air con system and that it can cause groans and odd noises as it circulates.

It is not always there even with A/C on, so I believe it's more likely the starter motor?

However, I'll also ask them to check whether the A/C needs to be recharged or not.

I'll print this post out and bring to the garage. Thanks guys!

• 1 month later...

forgot to mention. I took the car to service and mentioned the problem.

Both the Skoda service technician and chief technician had a throughout check: starter motor no problem, A/C fluid no problem, nothing else appears to have problem.

Shall I just leave it like that? (this sound still exists) Or shall I go for a different VW garage?