Elegance 150PS CR Hatch feels sluggish ?

Hi,

Got a fleet demo for 5 days its a elegance hatch 150ps diesel. It's a manual.

Got to say I am dissapoinet with the power delivery. Certainly doesn't feel like 150ps.

Driven a lot of CR diesels but this feels really under powered .

Any thoughts ?

I felt it was quicker than the older 140. If your comparing to the 170 then it's obviously going to feel a little flatter. How much mileage is on it ie is it still very tight?

I felt it was quicker than the older 140. If your comparing to the 170 then it's obviously going to feel a little flatter. How much mileage is on it ie is it still very tight?

500 miles on it. It doesn't feel tight. We have 140 CR estates on fleet and they are a lot quicker than the one we have on demo.

You say about the VRS yes I drive one. But I also drive the above a lot as well and a 105 PS Octy II.

The Octy III is supposed to lighter than my VRS I think so it shouldn't be massively slower. Perhaps it's just me.

Nice car thou.

The mapping is even more linear and the mk 3 is better soundproofed on the 150 so is it a case that it wasn't quick or that it didn't feel quick - could that be it? I've certainly felt the weight saving when taking them out on well known roads. I thought the turn in on the 1.6tdi was very nice in particular. :)

The mapping is even more linear and the mk 3 is better soundproofed on the 150 so is it a case that it wasn't quick or that it didn't feel quick - could that be it? I've certainly felt the weight saving when taking them out on well known roads. I thought the turn in on the 1.6tdi was very nice in particular. :)

I have a test I do on stretch of road near buy. And it's not as quick as the 140CR's we have.

I drive a pd170 which has a shark map to 211 Bhp.

Also test drove a cr150, made a point of putting it in sport mode and it was nippier than expected, not far off my vrs. In fact it felt like my vrs did before it was mapped.

So either your demo is a 1.6 or it is in Eco mode.

Hi,

Got a fleet demo for 5 days its a elegance hatch 150ps diesel. It's a manual.

Got to say I am dissapoinet with the power delivery. Certainly doesn't feel like 150ps.

Driven a lot of CR diesels but this feels really under powered .

Any thoughts ?

None of the VAG 4 cylinder CR's feel as quick as their power figures suggest. I dont think my MK2 vRS DSG feels like a 170hp car until youre up to considerable speed in the higher gearsTBH.

Personally I find there are a few things that hamper them, low speed lag/lazy throttle response, almost like you punch the accelerator and nothing really happens for what feels like a second or so, linear power delivery meaning it needs to be driven more like a petrol (in other words revved) also their lower gears IMO seem v short so it doesnt pull particularly great in gear speeds until you hit 4th.

Some of it you have to learn to drive around, I tend to find that to get the sort of go to really make it move it needs to be in S or manual mode (as is a DSG) and you have to give it lots of throttle just a bit (probably a bit less than a second) before you need the power.....wierd but get used to it after a while.

I know with the new MK7 Golf the 2.0TDi is however massively hampered by overly long gearing, it can according to Autocar pull 90 in 3rd and over 130 in 4th meaning that 5th and 6th are mearly overdrive gears, does nothing for its acceleration, they got 9.6 secs to 60 compared to the quoted 8.6 in the test. The Octavia could be v similarly afflicted?

Edited by pipsyp

When I test drove, it defo felt quicker than the 170CR Berb, as you woukd expect, so hopefully the Eco mode is the reason! Official figures put the 0-62 sprint on the 150CR Octy III at 8.2 secs which is supposedly quicker than a standard 170CR Octy II vRS!

I've been driving a Golf GT Mk7 recently with DSG and "only" 150hp. It felt faster than my CR 170 probably because it's smaller and more go-kart like to drive. Depends on what you're used to I think.

The 2.0 D Elegance demonstrator I drove felt surprisingly strong and torquey, pick up from 60 mph in 6th was particularly impressive. And yes, in "Eco" mode it does take the edge off the performance.

When I test drove, it defo felt quicker than the 170CR Berb, as you woukd expect, so hopefully the Eco mode is the reason! Official figures put the 0-62 sprint on the 150CR Octy III at 8.2 secs which is supposedly quicker than a standard 170CR Octy II vRS!

What's 'berb'?

Yes its interesting, on the basis an Octavia 3 2.0 TDi 150 manual hatch weighs 1330kg and the equivalent Mk2 170 CR weighs 1485kg their power to weight ratios are v close indeed, 111 vs 113hp/ton.

The Mk2's reasonable power advantage largely outweighed by the Mk3's significant weight reduction so no surprise their performance is very similar. On that basis though i'd still expect a Mk2 vRS to be ever so slightly quicker, makes you wonder whether the official figures for the 170 are perhaps a little slower than it can actually achieve. If you wanted to be really pedantic, the DSG variant of the MK3 2.0 TDi also wont have launch control which would open up things a bit more.

Its impressive though, I'm sure i'd be very happy with the MK3 2.0 TDi 150, though still think the 140 TSi is probably the pick of the range

The 140 TSi runs the 150 TDi very close on mpg running costs, esp bearing in mind the lower list price on like for like spec and obviously petrol is more refined, quieter, etc. For me though, 23k miles per year and minimum 4 years ownership swung me back to the black stuff. I still have SWMBOs 1.8 TSi Eleg FL Octy II available for a blast at the weekends, now that is one sweet lump, only 0.6 secs slower than the 2.0TSi vRS, coming in at 7.8 secs on the sprint to 62!

Test drove a 150 Tdi and it felt the equal of my 170 Yeti and the 3 170 vRS models (a PD and two CRs) I owned before that ... my dealer says a few vRS owners had driven it and all said the same. I drove it mostly in sport mode