Wheel size for winter tyres

Rgh999

I've driven (on snow) AWD on summers and FWD with winters. No contest, I'd take any (F/R/A) wheel drive on winters in a heartbeat.

My Yeti is fitted with 17 inch rims, but am wondering what size I need if I buy a set of winter tyres for next year. I see a lot of members have 16 inch rims. Is this normal. Will it affect speedo etc.

I used this one for the Volvo V70 when I changed the 17" rims for 16"; same again with the Yeti for the 16" rims.

http://www.kouki.co....size-calculator

I could play for hours (with the calculator - before someone jumps in!)

Regarding the ride, for my money, the 16" rims with proper size tyres helps to smooth out the potholes and make for

a more comfortable ride. Yes, I am getting old.

Edited by loftypeak2

It depends what you prefer.

16" rims are good if you like a softer ride and more roll in the corners.

17" rims are good for less roll/better handling and a slightly firmer ride.

If you are buying a second set of rims you can go for either.

As I find the 16" rims make the handling a bit wooly when pressing on in a Greenline II, I bought a second set of 17" rims for my winter tyres.

So, the question seems to be would you like a roll in Bobdog's corner or would you prefer a firmer ride? :angel:

If the offer included butter, then at my age, I would go for the roll................

That just raises more questions than answers.

It will probably also start another thread deviation that will get some of us into bother again... :bandit:

• Like 2

If the offer included butter, then at my age, I would go for the roll................

I am reminded of Marlon Brando and Maria Schneider in "Last Tango in Paris".

• Like 1

That just raises more questions than answers.

It will probably also start another thread deviation that will get some of us into bother again... :bandit:

Deviation is my middle name :rock:

Hmmmmm. Not sure which way to go. Would quite like to pick up a used set of alloys for now, preferably 17" and then tyres just before the winter. Alternatively I suppose I could just pick up the tyres and swap them twice a year.

Costs maybe the same over a three year period.

Hmmmmm. Not sure which way to go. Would quite like to pick up a used set of alloys for now, preferably 17" and then tyres just before the winter. Alternatively I suppose I could just pick up the tyres and swap them twice a year.

I have just replaced my Dolomites with Spitsbergs thinking the 17" Dolomites would come in for winter tyres but after reading TPs tyre/rim guide and also contacting my insurance company I've decided to buy a set of 16"steels for winter use.

Luckly the dealer I'm going to sell my Dolomites too is going to do me a very reasonable price on steels and a good brand winter tyre.

• Like 1

Keep looking on fleabay. Over the last two years, I have bought 2 sets of 16" alloys, one for the winter tyres and now a set for my summer tyres.

The latest set that I bought last month had just been shot blasted and powder coated before sale and cost £180 the set of 4.

I found a slightly marked but unused one still in original packing for use as a full size spare, cost £30 including carriage.

They all came from Audi owners which must mean something!

I bought a set of Skoda wheels from Sinclairs and a set of winter tyres from Steve at Cornelly Tyres. When it came to changing back to summer alloy wheels/tyres Steve was most obliging and refitted them. In the long run I think it is more convenient to have two sets of wheels rather than have the palaver of changing tyres on one set of rims. Also worth mentioning - Cornelly Tyres were the most competively priced supplier that I could find for the Porthcawl area.

I bought a set of Skoda wheels from Sinclairs and a set of winter tyres from Steve at Cornelly Tyres. When it came to changing back to summer alloy wheels/tyres Steve was most obliging and refitted them. In the long run I think it is more convenient to have two sets of wheels rather than have the palaver of changing tyres on one set of rims. Also worth mentioning - Cornelly Tyres were the most competively priced supplier that I could find for the Porthcawl area.