Another goes pop.... advice needed please!

Well, as per title.... my turbo spectacularly went pop last night.

Got the AA man out to tow me back. Car still ran, but something oil related had popped, so it was burning oil off very fast! Luckily engine seems fine, and AA guy said it should be fine....

I've spent the last hour performing searches and stuff, as I'm not very clued up on turbo selection really.

I'm gonna be looking to buy a PD150 hybrid capable of running 230bhp safely. What do people suggest? Anyone with any rough ideas on prices? What would be most suitable for my application?

I will be FMIC'ing the car and fitting a Helix SMF kit at some point. I presume that I will need my Shark stage 1 map tweaked for a hybrid turbo?

I'm pretty handy with the spanners, but have never changed a turbo before - how difficult are they to change?

Thanks all :-)

Ouch sorry to hear that Alex!

Dirty Torque Developments are just down the road in Shrewsbury - I spoke to him and it is £550 + however much the turbo costs for a hybrid. Most of the time they source broken ones. I've seen knackered ones go for around £70 - £150.

A hybrid PD130 turbo may be a bit easier / cheaper and there isn't much between the peak figures!

I have a Seat Sport intercooler and made up my own pipework, if your going down that route I'll gladly help you with what pipework I've got and even lend a hand fitting!

• Like 2

No worries mate - the standard one was on 90k now anyway, so it was inevitable I fear!

Ahh I was wondering what company you were referring to by DTD on your thread!!

Have you had work done by them before? I know there's this big dispute thing going on between them and Darkside after reading some of the threads in the past...

I must admit though, that seems a very reasonable amount.

All I know is that I want something capable of running around 230bhp safely and as a daily.

Thanks Dan - extremely helpful as ever :-) Legend! I will be getting a Seat Sport at some point in the near future - I quite fancy Darkside's pipework as well though, as it's really tidy looking and are just 1 piece units as opposed to lots of hose joints....

I've not had any work by them yet mate but they seem to be quite popular. I guess there is always going to be disputes between company's who are in the same business - my Dad has the same issue with his.

I fancied Darksides pipework too - I actually went to buy it but VAT and delivery made it nearly £400 :( my cooler and all pipework didn't even cost that :)

http://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/shop/md376-stage-2-hybrid-turbo-for-vag-19tdi-150bhp-engines-p-2709.html

The PD150 Hybrid from Turbo Dynamics is currently on offer at £780 with VAT and delivery!

The thing putting me off a hybrid is that apparently you loose a fair bit of the low down grunt which I love about the Fabia. And the fact that the GTB turbo from DarkSide is really good value for money - 230bhp for £1600 + VAT fully fitted!

I've not had any work by them yet mate but they seem to be quite popular. I guess there is always going to be disputes between company's who are in the same business - my Dad has the same issue with his.

I fancied Darksides pipework too - I actually went to buy it but VAT and delivery made it nearly £400 :( my cooler and all pipework didn't even cost that :)

http://www.turbodyna...nes-p-2709.html

The PD150 Hybrid from Turbo Dynamics is currently on offer at £780 with VAT and delivery!

The thing putting me off a hybrid is that apparently you loose a fair bit of the low down grunt which I love about the Fabia. And the fact that the GTB turbo from DarkSide is really good value for money - 230bhp for £1600 + VAT fully fitted!

Hmmm.... now that seems really cheap! How good are these MD turbos compared to Garretts? & I'm presuming that will do me for my power needs? i.e. 230bhp safely? Very tempted to buy one of these asap and get the car fixed on the drive myself....

What would boost be like with that MD turbo do you reckon Dan? & what's the difference between this and the GTB turbo that you talk about from Darkside? As it's nearly twice the price.... Bit of a turbo newbie really - been n/a for so many years!!

Hmmm.... now that seems really cheap! How good are these MD turbos compared to Garretts? & I'm presuming that will do me for my power needs? i.e. 230bhp safely? Very tempted to buy one of these asap and get the car fixed on the drive myself....

What would boost be like with that MD turbo do you reckon Dan? & what's the difference between this and the GTB turbo that you talk about from Darkside? As it's nearly twice the price.... Bit of a turbo newbie really - been n/a for so many years!!

It is a Garrett mate, Turbo Dynamics are just a company who hybrid them. They are quite popular as they seem to always have them in stock, there's a fair few threads about the MD376 now.

Boost wise I'd expect it to pull more like a petrol loosing some of the low down grunt. I enjoy the low down grunt but at the same time miss the top end power of an NA! At that price I'd be going for one of them turbos that's pretty cheap that!

You should easily see 220-230bhp if your clutch can cope. 220bhp is my target.

The GTB turbo from Darkside is a standard turbo but larger turbo and apparently is better than hybrids as it retains the low down grunt and still produces 220-230 Bhp. Remember the price from Darkside is fully fitted and mapped with a down pipe and all the necessities.

I'm really tempted to sell my gsxr to make it happen sooner!

I had problems with a Nissan turbo and found TurboTechnics to be spot on with help and support. They are very well thought off in the Nissan world. Other than that I don't have a clue what you are talking about with all the different turbos etc!

Off course they may or may not do them either.

Edited by Catch22

Hi

My turbo is a garret, the item was not stock , it was built when ordered and was ready in 2 days

It drives like petrol car , does not lose a lot of lower speed grunt, and is fantastic mid range, not had it mapped yet?

I find being quite a heavy car , to be really quick off mark was going to be a bit of challenge for clutch , but when above 20 mph ish , then apply more power, I find the clutch to be ok , and copes very well. I could see how hard starts would make a clutch suffer with that weight / power being put through it , I'm hoping I can prolong clutch life a little longer by using it like this