I <3 my VRS tdi dsg but....

I love my octavia vrs 2.0tdi cr with the dsg. I've had it for just over 6 months now but one thing really bugs me, i don't think the box is that great for putting the foot down. Anyone else feel like this? I always feel that in sport mode on the twistier roads it seems capable but then when you hit a little straight it seems to rev too high, meaning you don't really gain much and miss optimum torque for the next gear! I know you can flick it up yourself but thats not the point, the box would be much better in the petrol i always feel, it it the same box in both or what?

I feel the same. Lethargic in D and revs too high in S. In S i end up changing with the padle shift as i feels it revs too high. S is better when u feel like a more spirited drive. D for a slow cruise home after a long shift.

Exactly, the S is good as you going through the corners but then you hit the straight and it runs out of puff and seems...done? I was thinking about one of these tuning boxs but i just dont know :S will it be even worse again!?

I do love the car in every other way, and the spped of the shift with the dsg is amazing, even if it is a bit late haha

I have an 11 Plate Octavia Tsi DSG. It's Awesome. It certainly doesn't run out of puff.

My only complaint that around town at 30 the box drives around in 5th or 6th, needs to be in 4th. I often put it in +/- and up shift with the paddles. No need to down shift as it does it for you.

Truly amazing Gearbox

The DSG gearbox is very lazy in D and can make the car feel sluggish and dim witted. I started to get quite frustrated by it but now I've learnt to use the different settings, for example putting it into S as I approach a roundabout on dual carriageway's so its not left wanting part way round, and never leaving it in D when on a half decent A or B road with bends on it!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

You will never please everyone so the setup of the box will always feel like a comprimise for some. I like the fact its so lazy in D mode as it im wafting about i want it quiet and want maximum MPG. S mode seems to cope fine when required but the best option by far for the twisties is the paddles. You cant expect any auto box to anticipate what the driver wants so its not a failing of DSG just a failing of autos in general. Every auto ive owned can be caught out by the driver. At least DSG give you an option for every occasion. If you cant fine one option that suits you then you must have a weird driving style.

Edited by Jockdooshbag
  • Like 1

I agree with regards to the s mode being much better for the twisters, don't get me wrong here I love the dsg! I just feel coupled with the dirty derv engine in lacks something. Power starts to fall away and instead of shifting up the box keeps it going till the very end, then the real torque is missed in the next gear! I can imagine that in the petrol it would really be first class!?

You will never please everyone so the setup of the box will always feel like a comprimise for some. I like the fact its so lazy in D mode as it im wafting about i want it quiet and want maximum MPG. S mode seems to cope fine when required but the best option by far for the twisties is the paddles. You cant expect any auto box to anticipate what the driver wants so its not a failing of DSG just a failing of autos in general. Every auto ive owned can be caught out by the driver. At least DSG give you an option for every occasion. If you cant fine one option that suits you then you must have a weird driving style.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this is correct.

I agree with regards to the s mode being much better for the twisters, don't get me wrong here I love the dsg! I just feel coupled with the dirty derv engine in lacks something. Power starts to fall away and instead of shifting up the box keeps it going till the very end, then the real torque is missed in the next gear! I can imagine that in the petrol it would really be first class!?

Gimme a shout if you want to try the DSG Tsi combo

I read an article in Evo recently saying that one of the manufacturers has linked the auto-box to satnav so that the box can adapt the shifts and gear selected to the road ahead.

Think it might have been BMW but I bet the others are looking into this.

I read an article in Evo recently saying that one of the manufacturers has linked the auto-box to satnav so that the box can adapt the shifts and gear selected to the road ahead.

Sounds slightly plausable but i still cant help feeling sceptical. Would be delighted if it workd though but is civilian GPS accurate enough? I doubt it. Military GPS is but i though the likes of tom tom etc was only accurate to within 9 metres. Saying that 9m might be all you need to pre-select the next optimal gear.

D works brilliantly with the diesel if you give it some beans. It will be lazy if you're light footed with it, but be quite heavy (not kick down) and you really start to get pulled along by the torque.

D works brilliantly with the diesel if you give it some beans. It will be lazy if you're light footed with it, but be quite heavy (not kick down) and you really start to get pulled along by the torque.

I never use kick down. In any auto ive had kick down is not required. Not with diesel anyway. Full throttle nearly always engages a lower gear. Kick down sometimes drops 2 gears which is savage and not really needed. Engaging the kick down button just seems far too harsh as it changes down but the revs then are so high it almost has to change up again straight away.

As said above D mode works well for me even if pressing on. I rarely need S mode as the acceleration isnt that much better compared to D and D seems pretty quick anyway.

• Like 1

Was the article dated April 1st?

:giggle: