12v Accessory sockets!

Hi all, could someone tell me if the 12v accessory sockets are permanently fed on UK spec mk3 octavia? I know there is one in centre console by handbrake and one in the boot. If they are permanently fed can this feature be switched off? As i need them fed only when key is in the ignition for lots of different reasons!!! Please don't tell me I've got to tear a new car apart to find the accessory feeds :sweat: !!

Thanks in advance peeps.

Hi all, could someone tell me if the 12v accessory sockets are permanently fed on UK spec mk3 octavia? I know there is one in centre console by handbrake and one in the boot. If they are permanently fed can this feature be switched off? As i need them fed only when key is in the ignition for lots of different reasons!!! Please don't tell me I've got to tear a new car apart to find the accessory feeds :sweat: !!

Thanks in advance peeps.

Have a look at the Owners Manual (from this thread). I seem to remember from a cursory look through that both sockets are live even with the ignition off (as are the equivalent sockets in my current Superb).

Best regards

Odd request - normally the Bain of my life that they turn off with the ignition?

I bought a splitter with USB charging port from Tesco for about a fiver - has a push button switch on the plug. Job done.

The onboard cameras that i've been looking at require a switched live (normally by the 12v accessory socket via a supplied cable), so if the sockets are live all the time, Im gonna get lots of video of the inside of my garage then a blank screen and a car with a flat battery :rofl: , unless of course i unplug them every time i leave the car. Not ideal. :wall:

The onboard cameras that i've been looking at

Just out of curiosity - are you looking to fit these for purposes of recording pre- and post-accidents? That is something I have been interested in doing, but not got around to. Are there reasonably priced options in the UK for such cameras?

It would be a simple, useful and low-cost option if manufacturers were to fit two sockets, one permanently live and one switched with the ign - or rather, with the "auxilliaries".

Or else to provide a master switch so that you could set the socket(s) to whichever option you wanted.

This would be a lot more useful than some of the other needlessly complicated and potentially troublesome clever-clogs toys they proudly present us with.

Edited by Stuarted

Can't remember who now, but one manufacturer arranged the fuse box such that the 12v socket would be powered permanent or ignition switched depending on the orientation of one fuse.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had the same problem. Had to add a switched cigar outlet in the cubby hole under the steering wheel using one of these :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20A-Regular-Blade-Fuse-Tap-Holder-Add-A-Circuit-Line-ATO-ATC-APR-Car-Truck-/261163636542?pt=UK_Car_Interior_Accessories&hash=item3cce90d73e

Luckily the fuse box is very easy to access.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had the same problem. Had to add a switched cigar outlet in the cubby hole under the steering wheel using one of these :

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3cce90d73e

Luckily the fuse box is very easy to access.

It's years since I have fiddled about with electrical connections in cars - did you find a cigar lighter female that plugged straight into the blue connector on that ebay item?

Yes, that is best way to do it. Fuse tap and female socket. Both available in vast quantities on ebay for peanuts. Plus you hide all the wiring that way too.

Hmm - I am obviously using the wrong terminology - "Fuse tap to cigar lighter female socket 12v" in eBay doesn't get me anything useful at all...

Newer VAG cars turn off after around 10 mins

Might only be cars of a certain price point. Mine doesn't do that, I have a 12v USB adapter which for some reason has an LED on it, I can leave it plugged in (but with nothing attached to the USB cable) overnight and come back in the morning to find the light still on. :(

One day I'll get around to seeing if I can take that LED off so that it doesn't draw any current while nothing's actually connected.

One day I'll get around to seeing if I can take that LED off so that it doesn't draw any current while nothing's actually connected.

I've found a hammer very useful for extinguishing LEDs before!!

Sorry, not very helpful, but I couldn't resist!!!!

• Like 2

Hmm, I just put in 'fuse tap' and got pages of them.

I then put in 'cigar socket' and got a lot, but had to look through to find just the socket on a lead, like this: http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3cbccf1a7c

Edit: You need to look for each of the two separately.

Thanks. I had also found lots of fuse taps and lighter sockets - I thought you meant that you had one single item or a lighter socket that you plug into the blue connector on the tap. Maybe I will just go with soldering or a junction box, but I assumed there must be a standard plug that would fit the blue connector...

Its just a crimp plug. Push a bare wire in and squeeze it with pliers, or the correct tool if you have them. Or just snip it and solder the ends together.

Ahhh - perfect - thanks

Just out of curiosity - are you looking to fit these for purposes of recording pre- and post-accidents? That is something I have been interested in doing, but not got around to. Are there reasonably priced options in the UK for such cameras?

from Sunday Times motor section:

Best buy - MI Witness £250

Unobtrusive simple to set up and use, plus good software.

Best for picture quality - Roadhawk HD £270

Captures incredibly crisp detail even on dark rainy days

Best for compact design - FineVu CR-500 £290

Excellent picture but expensive and no GPS

Best for budget - Smartcam 2 HD £85

Feels cheap but has plenty of options to help you optimise performance

Off topic but you did ask

• 1 year later...

Hi. According to the manual, the 12v sockets remain live all the time. I use the front socket for charging my phone, but yesterday it decided to stop working. Tried another charger and it looks as though the fuse has blown. Easy job to replace a fuse? Yes, if it's a left hand drive, but it looks as though you have to dismantle half the dash to access the fuses, on right hand drives! Brilliant! Going up to the dealers this morning. They can sort it...hopefully! :-)

Hi. According to the manual, the 12v sockets remain live all the time. I use the front socket for charging my phone, but yesterday it decided to stop working. Tried another charger and it looks as though the fuse has blown. Easy job to replace a fuse? Yes, if it's a left hand drive, but it looks as though you have to dismantle half the dash to access the fuses, on right hand drives! Brilliant! Going up to the dealers this morning. They can sort it...hopefully! :-)

if you follow the steps in the manual taking out the glovebox is 60 seconds job.

• 2 years later...

Hello, I've another question regarding the 12V sockets,

What is the fuse rating on both the front and rear sockets (estate model late 2015).

I want to run a portable ham radio from the one in the boot.

Thanks

Paul

• Like 1