Tyres

IainM1970

When I had my Yeti serviced last week they noted the tyres were all at 4mm, so I'll be looking for new tyres shortly.

What are people paying per corner for decent tyres?

Iain,

I've now been using Kumho KU39's for the last 2.5 years on the Yeti, and previously on the Freelander,

(http://www.camskill.co.uk/m54b0s555p63898/Kumho_Tyres_Car_Kumho_KU39_Ecsta_Le_Sport_Kumho_KU_39_-_225_50R17_98Y_XL_TL_)

and have been very happy with them. Found they wear well, handle excellently, cope very well with wet roads, aren't noisy, and are also quite good off-road and on wet caravan pitches.

There was a past thread on here when one member rubbished them, but I can only go on my good experience with them.

I've run Kumho KH17s on both my Renault Grand Scenic that preceded the Yeti and on a a previous BMW 323i. With absolute confidence in all condititions, including snow. The fact I ran three sets on the Scenic to 144,000 miles probably tells you all you need to know about my recommendation. When the Hankooks on my new (to me) Yeti get <3mm, they'll be replaced by Kumhos. When the Contis currently on my 330d are down, they'll also get replaced by Kumho Ecsta.

Their motorsport tyres ain't half bad either! We've been running both gravel and tarmac tyres of theirs on various rally cars for over 10 years now.

When you've tried Camskill and Black circles to compare prices, then try here: http://www.ears.co.uk/, especially if you live anywhere near Macclesfield. Or if anywhere in the Fylde district of Lancashire give South Shore Tyres (Blackpool) a call. They'll also give you excellent advice on the best choice of type or pattern for your car.

No, but I know someone who did for their BMW (Daventry area) and they were very pleased with the service.

That was two years ago, their prices now, once you add the fitting are not that much better than some others.

I've got the 4 seasons tyres on mine and I'm impressed with them.

After having a vRS (diesel) Fabia which used to eat front tyres twice a year and an Impreza Turbo that'd eat all 4 tyres whenever it felt like it, I've been massively surprised at how long these have lasted. With the 4x4 they are good in snow, ice, mud and heavy rain, and aren't overly noisy in warmer conditions (I know, rare in England) and the set I had on the car when I bought it last year are still at about 4-5mm over the tyres.

I bought a new pair of fronts expecting them to be needed before Christmas and they're still sat in the conservatory.

Price from Openeo or however it's spelt, varies between £125 to about £140 per tyre per season. Then there's the fitting costs locally too.

• Like 1