Attaching Number Plates (Without Screws)

Anyone on here done this? Looking at these sticky pad things but worried about them falling off when wet etc?

Would have liked some Czech dealer plate surrounds but they seem impossible to get hold of here... Suppose I could screw them but like the cleaner look of no screws...

Any surround would do, even blank ones. They have multiple hole combinations on the back then you screw that into the body and the plates clip in. I've got a set of Oettinger ones but the dealer f*cked it up by not understanding how they worked by putting the number plate in and screwing though the both of them. Idiots! Couldn't be @rsed to pay for new plates so just left it.

I bought the sticky stuff from a backstreet retailer of car spares, it stayed on forever, took a brace of wild horses to pull off and I have stuck my new ones on again with the same stuff. Never had a problem with it loosening.

My last Octy had stick-on plates. Just used the sticky pads you can buy from any motor factors. Attached solid to the car.

On my current car dealership screwed the plates on (yes, they used the pre-drilled holes as supplied by Skoda). Like the screwed on personally - so long as you use the correct coloured caps.

My blackline has sticky pads for the plates from factory.

Thinking of getting a private plate soon so not sure how to secure it back on.

My blackline has sticky pads for the plates from factory.

Thinking of getting a private plate soon so not sure how to secure it back on.

Either drill the plates inline with the pre drilled holes in the tailgate and bumper or use a plate holder like already mentioned above.

www.eireplates.com/platesurrounds.asp

Look down this list, you'll see some surrounds with Skoda Auto AS, Mlada Boleslav.

I recently bought a pair of these, they are very high quality and look great.

You don't need any form of screws to securely mount the plates -- I had to put the screws back in as the plates were already drilled.

Mike

+1 for this

Trevor on Eireplates are the main supplier of Pressed plates and surrounds in Ireland.

Alternatively you could use Hidden Clips. I have these on my car. They screw on through original holes and then the pressed plates clip into place. I use double sided tape as well to be double sure.

http://www.eireplates.com/

UK Site :

http://www.pressedplates.co.uk/

Go to this page for fixings

http://www.pressedplates.co.uk/accessoryproducts.asp

5th item down

"Simple Fix"

The SimpleFix looks like a good idea.

I'd like to reattach my rear plate because it's very slighty off square. I originally used sticky pads, but the trickiest thing is to get it level. If not using SimpleFix, how do others avoid it being wonky?

I did redo my front plate not so long ago, putting masking tape on the bumper and drawing a series of equidistent parallel lines on masking tape stuck to the bumper and did get it perfectly square. Unfortunately, in using a citrus sticky residue remover to clean off the old pads, they have also caused the plate to delaminate slightly, It wasn't apparent at the time, but it now looks a mess. I'll need a new plate for the front so might as well redo both.

• Like 1

My new plates arrived. Getting one of them redone as its already marked from transit so I'm having doubts about how long they'll last. If they fall apart/delaminate etc I'm doing what (in hindsight) I should have done this time and got some pressed ones.

As for lining the plates up, I'm going to masking tape everything up before I remove the current plates so the new ones go on level. Pics this weekend (maybe).

Interesting thread - my Halfrauds plates put on with their double sided sticky pads (the thick ones) are both coming off front and rear after only a few months.... and I've got FIVE pads on both of them.... never happened before on any other motor, just the VRS....... bought some more pads to try to restick over the W/E so fingers crossed... don't want to do any drilling whatsoever, so pads are the option for me...

My front is held on with 3 sticky pads (no surround) and rear is a surround the same as Mike has from same supplier, also got the pressed metal plates from them

i didnt use any extra holes like mike, but havent had any issues with the floppiness at the corners

The SimpleFix looks like a good idea.

They are excellent.

They line the plate up 100%