Air con noise

Has anyone experienced a loud resonating type of noise when their A/C is on. This only occurs at about 1600-1700 rpm and is otherwise quiet. If the A/C is turned off the noise is no longer present. It sound like it is something to do with the drive belt but it is difficult to assess exactly where the noise originates. Thanks all.

Well my a/c makes a noise right in rpm you pointed. It is a WOOOO sound and mostly occurs when ambient temperature is high. This sound occurs even when idle and revving. I had my a/c compressor replaced under warranty but this didn't help. A/c works fine though. Prior to change we performed gas check, all found fine. Then we tried regas. Nothing. Then compressor replacement. Nada.

I tend to believe that this sound comes up because compressor's part number is the same for a wide range of VAG engines, all of them way bigger than our 1.2Tsi, such as 1.8Tsi and 1.9Tdi. So my theory says that this compressor (or engine) forces the engine (or compressor) to work in an odd way that produces that sound.

• 2 months later...

Took it to the dealer yesterday, while the weather was really hot, and they were able to witness the noise. The gas level was fine so they are going to replace the compressor. Can anyone tell me how much dismantling of the car is needed to do this.

mine makes this noise too and my aircon works fine. when the aircon is on and cars sat still the cooling fan also kicks in and goes quite fast to cool the condensor i imagine... d then it s off if i turn the aircon off. i imagine its becuase the hot weather is putting a bit of extra strain on the system and making it labour a bit more.

i dont really see an issue with it though. if it does go kaput then i will get the dealer to have a look

• 3 weeks later...

The dealer has replaced the compressor but the resonance type noise is still there, occurring mainly around 1600 rpm. We are beginning to run out of ideas. I have attached a link to a You Tube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVWc1PMWYG8

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this.

Thanks all

What setting are the vents open at?

What temperature is it at, is it Low on something else, does that make a difference to the noise.

Is it Face, Face & Feet, Demist etc?

Does the noise change much with different vents open or closed?

What fan speed is it set at?

It does sound to me like a tight belt or pulley when under load.

george

Hi George, the car has climate control and was set on auto although manually changing the vents / fan speed has no effect. The only thing that affects the level of this odd noise is how hard the compressor is working. I normally leave the temp setting at 20 degrees C. With the recent heat wave it has been very noticeable, when I did the video you will note the ambient temperature was 22 degrees.

• 7 years later...
On 15/05/2013 at 04:59, Old Webbo said:

Has anyone experienced a loud resonating type of noise when their A/C is on. This only occurs at about 1600-1700 rpm and is otherwise quiet. If the A/C is turned off the noise is no longer present. It sound like it is something to do with the drive belt but it is difficult to assess exactly where the noise originates. Thanks all.

Hi,

May I ask how you fix this noise finally?

I got the same type of noise after compressor replacement. around 1600rpm it comes out and be quiet at other rpm. gas pressure is in good condition.

On 17/05/2013 at 04:31, stratosg said:

Well my a/c makes a noise right in rpm you pointed. It is a WOOOO sound and mostly occurs when ambient temperature is high. This sound occurs even when idle and revving. I had my a/c compressor replaced under warranty but this didn't help. A/c works fine though. Prior to change we performed gas check, all found fine. Then we tried regas. Nothing. Then compressor replacement. Nada.

I tend to believe that this sound comes up because compressor's part number is the same for a wide range of VAG engines, all of them way bigger than our 1.2Tsi, such as 1.8Tsi and 1.9Tdi. So my theory says that this compressor (or engine) forces the engine (or compressor) to work in an odd way that produces that sound.

Hi,

finally, how you fix this problem?

On 26/06/2021 at 11:31, sepulchrave said:

Dude, this thread is seven years old.

Mate, they do replaced the ac pump with a new one but the noise was the same. 

I assume it is because the same ac pump is used for 1.9tdi and 1.8t engines is a bit noisy for the 1.2tsi. 

As long as you have your ac circuit full of gas and you get cold air, everything is fine. 

On 02/07/2021 at 15:25, stratosg said:

Mate, they do replaced the ac pump with a new one but the noise was the same. 

I assume it is because the same ac pump is used for 1.9tdi and 1.8t engines is a bit noisy for the 1.2tsi. 

As long as you have your ac circuit full of gas and you get cold air, everything is fine. 

Thanks man.

Seems Yes. I do replace the compossor with a new one, but found the noise still is.

• Like 1