VRS TDI 170 prices, has the bottom fallen out?

It might be worth speaking to a few traders down south to see what they might offer for it.

We sold the wife's Yeti to a trader off Autotrader as after nearly 3 weeks we'd had no interest whatsoever (plenty of on-line advert viewings mind!).

The trader did us a good price without seeing the car and came and collected within a couple of days. I know it was a Yeti and not an Octavia, but his offer was slightly higher than I would have taken at the time.

Well I can't see it going anywhere for 4k, or under 5k to be honest, its too cheap at that, its at the bottom of the market as it stands, im sure someone will come soon enough, if not Ill hold out and keep holding, a friend of mine had to wait a year to sell his car, but in the end he got what he wanted, worst case ill pass it too my mate with a dealership, and some silly person will go pay 750 more for the car.

Yes sales of goods act works etc, but its based on age and miles of the car, the cars done 100k, things going wrong are acceptable.

You say that, I couldn't find anything cheaper with the low mileage and full history. I could have spent less if I wanted a starship mileage example which I didn't, it's got dealer warranty and it was around the corner. The only comparable one I could find was in Scotland!

Now I'm getting the wobbles, paid £6999 for an 06 VRS PD, 53k,FSH. Did I pay over the odds then?

Perhaps a little over the odds, but it's got very low mileage which makes all the difference when it comes to value.

Well I can't see it going anywhere for 4k, or under 5k to be honest, its too cheap at that, its at the bottom of the market as it stands, im sure someone will come soon enough, if not Ill hold out and keep holding, a friend of mine had to wait a year to sell his car, but in the end he got what he wanted, worst case ill pass it too my mate with a dealership, and some silly person will go pay 750 more for the car.

You'll be holding for a long time.

In another month or so even dealers will be selling vrs's with similar age/mileage to yours for less than you are asking. Even if you passed it to your dealership friend today he'd struggle to achieve £5890 (although he may just).

When placing a value on your car, it is completely irrelevant how good you think it is, or how much you think it's worth, or how much you paid for it.........It is only worth what someone will pay for it, which today, is around £5200 for a private sale of your car. The longer you wait, the lower this figure becomes.

I know this is not what you want for your car, but it's a fact of life that cars depreciate, you have to accept the hit, or just keep the car.

It might be worth speaking to a few traders down south to see what they might offer for it.

We sold the wife's Yeti to a trader off Autotrader as after nearly 3 weeks we'd had no interest whatsoever (plenty of on-line advert viewings mind!).

The trader did us a good price without seeing the car and came and collected within a couple of days. I know it was a Yeti and not an Octavia, but his offer was slightly higher than I would have taken at the time.

Wow - Yeti to an all road for your wife. Do you not love her enough to get the BiTurbo? Awesome vehicle and I still got 40mpg out of it on a test drive. Regular 245 still has plenty of grunt though and is a lot better than the base engine which feels lacking.

TenToe - can I interest you in a nice Tunit for your PD? Just so happens I'm down there in about a week's time, so could even fit it for you.

BTW I have the same sell/keep dilemma with my hot Clio. Worth maybe £2500, but owned from new and almost impossible for target aspirational drivers (often seen on retail parks) to insure.

Alexei - Cheers for the positive side of things. As you say, they are only worth what anyone will pay. The deal I've got is ok for me and good for the dealer so we are both happy. As for the tunit, I'll give it a miss for now cheers. But thanks all the same. A few weeks might be different though...

Good luck with the Clio too.

Unfortunately for you, the Sale of Goods Act is worth the paper it is written on. There is more protection buying from a dealer.

There isn't anymore protection with a car bought through a dealer, compared with a private sale. After a horrendous fight with BMW/Mini I've experienced only too well what main stream dealers will do and say.

If anything mainstream are the worst group of sh**e houses you can come cross..... Car salesmen nowadays know nothing of the products they sell, and previous experience was gained in their role at Phones4U

Anyway, you are best to try and price under a like for like example that Is being sold by a dealer.

Its all well using glasses guide and autotrader but its about supply and demand, if TenToeTurbo was happy with the car, it was close to him, the dealer was a nice guy, the car was the right one perhaps its worthwhile to overpay. My OH wanted a Skoda Octavia II Sport 2.0 TDI and we couldn't find a decent example under £6k close to us so we hunted and hunted and found one which was close to £7k but low mileage, less hassle because it was from a man dealer and few nice extras such as 12 month Skoda Warranty.

Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

• Like 2

Just been offered £5,250 part exchange for my 2007 (57) PD170 vRS with 74,000 miles.

I paid £9,600 for it in October 2011 with 33,000 miles and with almost every options box ticked.

• Like 1

............................Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Unfortunately that's the only definitive in all the above. Regardless of what we might seek to achieve, no one is obliged to buy anyone else's car unless they really want it for reasons determined by their individual circumstances. Every purchase will have a range of factors that determined it, just as noted by Octyman140 & booke23 above. Guide prices are just that, a guide.

A vehicle perceived by potential buyers looking in the market at a particuar point in time as overpriced will simply become more overpriced with the passage of time unless some unwary, over enthusiastic or very flush punter happens along.

OP may hit lucky but I'd be inclined to ratchet down the price and see if it makes any difference. Good luck with the sale anyway.

• Like 1

Its funny...regardless of the fact that a well looked after modern car (a diesel particularly) can easily wear 100k without breaking a sweat or feeling particularly worn (particularly anything VAG group as their build integrity is amongst the best of mainstream manufacturers) I think there is still quite a stigma attached to cars that have rolled over to 6 figure mileage. I bet if the car had done 80 or 90k it have probably of seen some interest by now.

Also got to consider that there are now plenty of earlier (and probably lower mileage) facelift cars available at decent prices which will drive the value of pre FL MK2 vRS down a bit particularly higher mileage cars. You probably are asking for a touch too much money.

Edited by pipsyp
  • Like 2

I paid £8,200 for my 2007 PD170 Vrs over a year ago with 42,000 on the clock.. had park sensors as an option but thats about it.. not sure what its worth now but general rule of thumb is its only worth what someone is willing to pay.. roughly translates to (how longs a piece of string)

But from the point of view of someone who not long ago purchased a car mileage was the biggest put off for me... if it had over 65,000 i walked away... regardless of age, mileage was the big one! I nearly got a 2004 BMW 5 series instead as it was the same money with all the toys, but I didnt as it was at 80,000 miles... hence plumbed for the octavia!!

5k in jan for a 56 vrs pd with 110k on the clock. most reliable and smile inducing car I have had in the 15k miles I've done in those months. for that, 5k is good to me irrespective of market value.

sent via Playbook and Tapatalk

Not if you bought it 2 years ago

it entirely depends WHERE you bought it.

I paid average price for mine in november. 56 plate vrs tdi on 67k, which was £7400. I spend a long time looking and looked over a wide area too and 7400 was average price back in november so all this "you paid too much" @ paying 7k is total rubbish if the chap bought at a similar time as me

• Like 1

it entirely depends WHERE you bought it.

I paid average price for mine in november. 56 plate vrs tdi on 67k, which was £7400. I spend a long time looking and looked over a wide area too and 7400 was average price back in november so all this "you paid too much" @ paying 7k is total rubbish if the chap bought at a similar time as me

I agree. I've been looking for ages and the prices are no where near what has been mentioned. Wish they were!

Just bought 3 weeks ago a FL Octy VRS Hatch TDI 2010 (59) with 50k from Letchworth Skoda for £9500, prob overpaid but needed a car quickly, it is lovely to look at in red, has the only optional extra i wanted (parking sensors for the wife). It was a one owner car and full SSH etc. Its whatever suits really, the car was marked up for 10.3k and i got it for 9.5, i walked away with the car I wanted and the approved skoda 12 month warranty and I even got the 2 yr servicing / mot package thrown in. Could i have waited for a better deal? maybe but it was convenient for me to buy that particular car.

PS did this car belong to anyone in the Bedforshire area? Red Octavia VRS tdi KN59 EFF???

Wow - Yeti to an all road for your wife. Do you not love her enough to get the BiTurbo? Awesome vehicle and I still got 40mpg out of it on a test drive. Regular 245 still has plenty of grunt though and is a lot better than the base engine which feels lacking.

The 245 is only £1500 more than the base car, whereas the BITD is £4750 more than 245. Quite a few people are reporting kickdown issues with the BiTD and one person even went on to say that he thought across country, the 245 would be just as fast as the BiTD.

The 245 is plenty fast enough and S-tronics box suits it well.