Water collecting in rear doors

It has been a common problem on VAG cars in the past. As people have said, it is caused by the drainage holes getting blocked by the protective wax. Get your cocktail sticks out...

I didn't prise it off completely, just pulled it away from the drain hold slightly and the wax/water mix came pouring out. Literally a 10 second job.

Same. Mine seem to have "settled down" now that the initial wax is out of the way.

• 4 weeks later...

I was in the Skoda dealership last week picking up my first Skoda. My wife has a Rapid and we had noticed water sloshing it both back doors. I metioned this to the guy in the dealership and he said it was a common issue and to leave the car in with them for half an hour. They did something and both are sorted now. I presume they cleared this wax business refered to above. At least I know now what to do if they fill up again.

Edited by murphym7

• 2 weeks later...

I have had this problem too on my 1.6   followed your instructions and gently moved the seals   about 2 litres drained out.  I have been in touch with my local Skoda dealer and their service dpet is going to phone me on Monday re this.  I was told DO NOT DO ANYTHING YOURSELF.

Washed car yesterday (tue) and checked the doors... both had water in emptied it myself.  See whar Skoda Colne do on Thursday now............

Not much I suspect...

As has been posted this is caused by waxy gunk blocking the drainage holes so once this has washed through the problem should be cured. Happening a lot less on mine now despite living in Cornwall where it rains most days!

Simpson Skoda (colne) had it for a few hours today.  Apprently the problem is the seals overlap the drain holes and yes they do build up with gunk, but also the drainage holes have been made bigger so now it sould not collect water.  I was shown photos of the problem and how Skoda recomend them to be sorted.  Hopefully that should cure the problem.  Many thanks for the sevice and expination I received form Colne especialy considering I didnt get the car from them. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My back seats are wet :(

Haven't worked out yet whether that was 'overflow' from when the doors were full of water or whether its coming in somewhere around the rear screen. The carpets are bone dry, just the seats are damp.

My back seats are wet :(

Haven't worked out yet whether that was 'overflow' from when the doors were full of water or whether its coming in somewhere around the rear screen. The carpets are bone dry, just the seats are damp.

This is unacceptable imho. Take it to the dealer and get them to sort it out under warranty. And of course they must give u a car while they work on yours

This is unacceptable imho. Take it to the dealer and get them to sort it out under warranty. And of course they must give u a car while they work on yours

I will probably wait until it's first service to be honest unless it gets really bad..

I want to work out what the problem is before taking it in. Don't want to leave my car there for 2 days and be told "we can't find anything wrong with it"!

Re the rar seats, this is a bit of a thing I noticed, if you leave the door open;either front or back for more than a few seconds after it has been raining or the car is wet the shape of the roof cobined with no gitter the water fall in over the seats  I don't think there is anything they can do about that.  However if all of the rear seat is wet check the parcel shelf and backrest too. Obviously if they are damp the it's a cause of concern.

Don't think it's that Mark as the bench is wet all the way across. Parcel shelf is dry though. I suspect it might only be coming in when it's parked at a certain angle. It rains a lot in Cornwall :(

• 2 weeks later...

It's in the dealers this week for it's service a bit early plus the leak to be looked at.

They're also putting the advisory into practice on the rear door seals to stop them filling up.

Hopefully they'll find a fix for the leak otherwise it's a good excuse for an early change to a Spaceback  :angel:

They've given me a 208 as a courtesy car, will provide a little writeup on that soon.

• Like 1

Got the car back; serviced, cleaned inside and out and with two service bulletins/recalls carried out:

TPI 2034980/1 (modification to rear door seals to stop doors filling with water)

Recall 55H6 adjustment of boot lid

It was presumed that the boot lid adjustment was related to the water on the rear seats. My car was one of the first Rapids in the country so maybe it only affected the very early cars.

Anyhow, now it's had it's teething problems sorted hopefully a trouble free year of motoring ahead!

• Like 1