Water collecting in rear doors

This is not something I have noticed on any car before but I can hear fluid sloshing around somewhere in the back of the car which I presume is fuel in the tank. Is this normal?

Edit: Changed the topic title after discovering the actual source of the problem!

In both my previous Skoda cars (Octavia Mk1 '02 1.6 and Fabia Mk1 '06 1.2Htp) and in my 1.2Tsi Roomster when the fuel tank is full and the ambient temperature is high I can hear a sound like draining bathtub (or to be more funny like an empty starving stomach). If I shake the car at a left to right and vice versa then I can hear the fuel in the tank the same way as you shake a half empty plastic bottle of water upside down.

I have found the source of my sloshing noise and it's not the fuel tank - it seems to be water inside the rear door on the drivers side.

Any ideas if there's some drain plug or something I can remove to get rid of it?

Wonder how that even happened :-/

I'm not aware of anything but haven't really looked all that closely. This is where the lack of something like a Haynes manual is actually bit of a bummer.

I guess there must be a seal which isn't fitted correctly - plus I live in Cornwall where it never stops raining and the car requires regular washing because of seagull crap :(

Hi RapidRonnie, I just signed up so I could reply to you. We've a 6 month old Rapid Elegance. Only owned it a week and it's been back to the dealer this morning for the same reason, except ours was the nearside rear door.

Service guy emptied out 6 litres of water. He thinks it's to do with the high density grease the factory lines all the doors with. Get back to your dealer and get them to sort it out.

All the best...

Thanks for the reply Scooterboy!

Let's hope it's an unfortunate quirk on some models rather than a "design feature" like it was on the Fabia 1!

You're welcome mate. We had a similar 'design feature' on a SEAT Leon, only that shipped the water into the cabin.

Great stuff. My trouble took the motor down to the dealers this morning and said there was great big plugs of grease jamming up the drainage holes.

Hopefully it's sorted. Or Skoda can give me my money back! ;)

Hope you get yours sorted too.

They are not usually holes as such, and usually just thin slits near where the door skin is attached to the door along the bottom.

They are not usually holes as such, and usually just thin slits near where the door skin is attached to the door along the bottom.

Thanks! Problem solved :)

To anyone else with the same issue, you need to prise the rubber seal on the bottom of the door away slightly until you find the slit. As soon as I did the water came trickling out and I helped unblock it using a tooth pick (yes, there was some gooey sealant stuff blocking it up too)

I wouldn't say there was six litres in there but certainly at least one.

Other doors checked and all fine.

Thanks to everybody for their help. Dealer trip averted.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

After another Cornish summer evening my other rear door was full of water this morning. Guessing you guys will experience the same at some point!

Clearly it wouldn't be a problem if the drainage holes were blocked but should it be letting this much water in in the first place?

After another Cornish summer evening my other rear door was full of water this morning. Guessing you guys will experience the same at some point!

Clearly it wouldn't be a problem if the drainage holes were blocked but should it be letting this much water in in the first place?

Yes doors generally get water in, cannot be helped as many window seals have 'open' ends, hence the need for wax coating and drain holes. If you have had a warm spell recently this can lead to excessive wax also trying to drain which can block the drain holes.

Oh with the Fabia I it was a poor quality/poor fitting rubber seal on the inner carrier/cover plate which was letting the water running into the door also into the cabin, rather than out through the drain holes.

TP

I had a quick look in the work car park last week for the drain holes but couldn't identify them, will have to have another look when I get home so I know where to look if this does happen!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

They're more like slits, about half way along the bottom of the door underneath the rubber seal. If you get water ingress you will soon find them when you start prising the rubber seal away!

Had a quick check when I got back to mum and dad's after a weekend away, no sign of water coming out but still didn't see the drain slits either.

I imagine once I spot them it'll be a case of "how did I miss that?"

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

• 1 month later...

It seems I've this is quite common, drove my wife's new Rapid this morning to hear sloshing in the back doors. Moved the seal slightly a a litre or so came put of both doors along with a load of wax. Hopefully that'll be the last time I need to do it.

Wife loves the car so far!