Water collecting in rear doors

I'm thinking of changing my Fabia estate for a Rapid hatchback. Huge boot and will fit in the garage. I had a test drive in a Spaceback yesterday. First thing I noticed was the sound of water sloshing about in the rear offside door. Salesman said that there was a modification to solve this but it hadn't been done to the car yet.

It seems that cars must be still coming out of the factory with an inherent design fault which dealers are trying to correct with a bodge. If it was simply excess wax in the drain holes they would have solved the problem immediately.

Having read the problems the Honest John long term tester had with mould and condensation after several failed attempts at a fix I am now very unsure about buying into what could be a serious long term problem like Fabia 1 owners have.

I would be grateful if other forum members could update on this please?

Edited by Eastbournian

It's not a huge problem. Once in my wife's ownership - six months now - I noticed the water sloshing in the back doors and it was fixed in ten minutes by pulling back on the bottom rear door seals. I'm quite fussy about rattles and other noises so I'm sure that's the only time - and I get to drive it a couple of times a week. No mould / condensation issues either. If it recurs I'll fix it myself with a couple of carefully drilled or cut holes in the rubber. I know I can do a better job than some mechanic in a rush to get to the next job.

Cars are pretty complex these days. I'll take a bit of occasional water in the rear doors against issues like diesel engine liners dropping out (Saab diesels) or ventilation leaks drowning and killing expensive electronic boxes (Passats).

My friend's sons Fabia door / water issue was different - the membrane which directs incoming water in the door away from the electric bits and down to the drains at the bottom had lost its glueing to the door frame and wasn't doing its job. Don't forget forum posts are mostly about problems - plenty of people have no reason to post because they've not come across a problem!

Edited by inspectorman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had loads of water in the front passenger door... Took it in under warranty and I was told the rears had been done and that it was unusual for the front to clog up. I'm now struggling with squeaky door seals... Anyone else had squeaky doors?

Looking at the on-line parts book, then both front and rear door and window glass seals seem to have had two or three updates, so obviously they are trying to get a permanant fix.

For example the rear door window aperture seal was updated for the notchback in June 13 and both notchback and spaceback had another update in March this year. The outer door seal, which probably is the one causing draining issues, was updated in mid May this year.

So one to watch out for on the new Spaceback I'm looking at, as I belive it was built in late March early April.

TP

I had loads of water in the front passenger door... Took it in under warranty and I was told the rears had been done and that it was unusual for the front to clog up. I'm now struggling with squeaky door seals... Anyone else had squeaky doors?

Noticed squeaky door seals plus a door rattle on an approved used I test drove; put me off that particular car which had a sunroof. Noticed though the one I drove without a sunroof was squeak free but this could have just been pot luck.

However as my previous post above, then the inner door seal is also getting an update at the end of this month according to the parts book, so maybe linked :wonder:

Would ask the Yeti section about some spray they used to fix the same issue, as I cannot remember the name of it.

TP

RAPID 1.2 Elegance (8 months old)
Dealer has just booked the car in following a Skoda UK notice to dealers to check all Doors for Water in the Doors.

Dealer stated its an issue with a faulty valve.

Looking at the on-line parts book, then both front and rear door and window glass seals seem to have had two or three updates, so obviously they are trying to get a permanant fix.

For example the rear door window aperture seal was updated for the notchback in June 13 and both notchback and spaceback had another update in March this year. The outer door seal, which probably is the one causing draining issues, was updated in mid May this year.

So one to watch out for on the new Spaceback I'm looking at, as I belive it was built in late March early April.

TP

Whats the website for the "Looking at the on-line parts book,"

Whats the website for the "Looking at the on-line parts book,"

apologies for the delay in replying been away for a few days. The following link was pointed out to me by another forum member a while back.

http://ifinterface.com/page/page3.php?langid=1

click on carprog2 and open the 'volkswagon drop down top left to find skoda. site can at times fail to work properly.

TP

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally booked the car in for the rattle notice the service tech had noticed last time the car was in for the squeaky doors and collecting water. While it was in for the rattle they did the skoda update regarding the door seals. Apparently the lube they come with from the factory disappears or will come off if water/cloths etc come in to contact with the seals or surrounding area. They did complement me on how clean I'm keeping the car (they were convinced I'd had it autoglym'd when I bought it!) but they did ask me not to clean the doors to much and to leave the rubbers well alone!

Found our Spaceback had slightly 'squeaky' doors from new (as did a demo I tried), so applied some autoglym rubber care to all the seals and it went away; this was even a bigger problem with both previous Yeti's.

Mind I've not heard a dealer suggest to leave the door seals alone because of a factory coating :wonder:

TP

I'm picking up my Sport in a couple of weeks. Do you think they'll do the rear door seal mod on its PDI ?

Would hope it won't be necessary on yours as it's a later car and I would hope they have changed the design on the newer cars to cure this.

Finally booked the car in for the rattle notice the service tech had noticed last time the car was in for the squeaky doors and collecting water. While it was in for the rattle they did the skoda update regarding the door seals. Apparently the lube they come with from the factory disappears or will come off if water/cloths etc come in to contact with the seals or surrounding area. They did complement me on how clean I'm keeping the car (they were convinced I'd had it autoglym'd when I bought it!) but they did ask me not to clean the doors to much and to leave the rubbers well alone!

What kind of rattle is this? I am asking this, because I have a very annoying rattle in my TDi at very low rpms (less than 1200).

There is a fix from skoda for the plastic rubber seals. They're now lubricated with an oil I can't pronounce or spell. Ever so slightly sticky to touch and all the rubbers round the inside doors are clean and like new!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've had excessive internal condensation in my 2013 Rapid (S) for a few weeks now, even before the icy weather. Especially on the front windscreen. The back heater takes up to 20 minutes to clear fog. 

I rang the dealer and they reckon it might be because of water in the doors. They mentioned a "fix" that they can do. 

Anyone else had this? Could this be the issue with the condensation?

Pull the rubber seal away at the bottom of each door, fronts too. There is in two places slits in the door bottom, pulll the rubber at these point and you may get a gush of water. If not poke something like a cable tie end up there to release the rainwater, it's the wax that's maybe blocking the holes. When I say pull away the rubber seals I mean just to ease them away from the door, not actually remove from their fixings. A more permanent fix I think the dealer cuts a small slit in them to aide drainage.