sluggish 16v

Recently bought a 1.4 16v fabia mk 1.

It seemed very low on power, not like I would expect a100bhp to go like. Anyway with no service history I got the cambelt changed today (108,000 miles). Mechanic reakons that it had never been changed before but more worryingly was that the tensioner had collapsed and was knocking about at the bottom not only really lucky that I got away with it but also affecting the timing..new belt, tensioner and waterpump plus obviously re timed up and it goes likes little fire cracker.

The 100bhp is no different to the 75bhp that I own, as the torque is the same (126 Nm). Guess why they decided to withdraw the engine at some point in time! It's no match to the 1.9 tdi 74 kW/240 Nm), which you've probably expected.

Edited by weuek

The 100bhp is no different to the 75bhp that I own, as the torque is the same (126 Nm)...

Apart from the fact that peak torque is at about 2200rpm instead of 4000rpm and the 75bhp version is out of puff by 4500rpm where the 100bhp goes to 6100rpm, other than that they feel completely the same to drive.

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly off topic, but hopefully wont matter,

Does anyone know how to tell which steering rack is fitted without taking bits of car apart... I have diagnosed a faulty steering sensor ( checked battery, earth, alternator etc ) so I need to source a replacement but am of the understanding that there are 2 kinds..... Xreg fabia 1.4 16v.

any help would be very much appreicated.

I look after a 9N Polo, but, from what I've read, I'd guess that your car will not have the TRW system. One way to check that you do not have a TRW system is, the TRW system reservoir cap has vertical grooves to help grip it, has a "tee" shaped level dip stick built into that cap - and you will find TRW moulded into the cap some where on it - probably on the upper surface. If it has none of that then it should be the "other" system.

Thank you.. looks like its a TRW, i have a better look at the Weekend when I will put some egr cleaner in to hopefully turn off the other warning light.. turning into a money pitt this one .

No, not using superplus or whatever its called, always thought it was just a marketing trick. Am i missguided in this ? Are there real benefits?

It's not just a marketing gimmick, extra octane means more ignition advance. Yes, you're misguided. On this particular engine there are definitely benefits.

For the 1.4 16v 100bhp engine the manual suggests that the full power is obtain with super unleaded. It is also on the fuel flap. Try 1-2 full tanks of it and see how it goes.

Edited by hap123ciu

ok thanks, ill give it a try, could this be why the egr fault keeps coming up ? wrong fuel, wrong burn perhaps... also anyone know the part number for a steering sensor compatable with the TRW system? Also I presume that if I change any electrical component that the ecu needs to read the replacement part to operate properly

thank you all so much for the help on this . this car has been the most problematic ive ever,ever owned and my other car is a citroen !!!!

Stop making it unduly difficult and call the dealer, give them the vin and they will tell you the p/n. way more than two versions exist over the mk1 range and you need the right one. Personally I'd suggest Rainworth as they're usually cheapest and will bother to tell you about the return rebate rather than ignoring it like some dealers do.

put an egr cleaner through the other day and turned eml light off with Bluetooth code reader...the light hasn't come back on and wife says it's going better...time will tell if it really does work.