XBOX One or PS4?

Xbox one for me had a ps1 and ps2 in the past but got an xbox then the 360 after... I have seen how rubbish the online is on PS3 before and how long you have to wait sometimes compared to xbox360 even if you do have to pay for the live it's worth it.

As someone who builds computers it's okay throwing in there that ps4 will have gddr5 but then we don't know what timings they're on or voltage so the xbox RAM could still be faster...

Just found it funny when they released the specs for the xbox one as i've just built my 8 core computer lol although my computer will still be able to out preform it

Timings are inconsequential in this environment, throughoutput is on the other hand. We are not talking database processing but moving huge, sequential blocks of texture data.

Timings are important where random access operations prevail and then lower clocked, lower bandwith systems with very much lower latency win with GDDR5 varieties.

Voltage, the lower the better :) Not only runs cooler, draws less power but also lowers the croos talk and voltage bleed acrosse transistor gates. Can't get too low as the states can get confused.. bit of a geek land I smell here :blush:

• Like 2

I am very surpirsed that they didn't go with Intel as i7 is a much more powerfull processor with much lower power and thermal footprint (due to clever power gating and 22nm litography).

I'd rather go Intel with dedicated graphics instead of AMD APU approach - this would blow PC gaming out of the water for real.

At the moment both new consoles looks like poor cousins compared with an average PC gaming rig, which is a min 5 years future proof, not to mention the top end ones...

I'm sure both Sony and MS will be grateful of your superior wisdom in these matters....

For those with a better grip on reality, these consoles are designed to hit a price point of a few hundred pounds, so they do need relatively cheap components and the CPU is a good place to economise. Processor power is far less relevant than graphics and memory for games so an i7 would give little advantage here. Properly designed consoles also do far more than PCs with an equivalent spec so I'm sure these will perform very well.

As for PCs being future proof for five years, that's just delusional.

• Like 1

Wow, cool your jets partner :). Why so bitter?

Indeed, they did strike a deal with AMD and obviously Intel was more expensive taking into account the entire design (APU route as opposed to dedicated graphics) as well as AMD's APU solutions currently being far superior than Intel's. HAve a look here for hard testing data, nothiong to do with my clearly superior wisdom :rofl: .

I'd recommend some reading (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html) regarding CPU influence on gaming performance as you clearly have no clue - it is massive, especially at the high end with all bells end whistles turned on.

Properly designed consoles also do far more than PCs with an equivalent spec so I'm sure these will perform very well.

- what on earth does that mean??

What is a properly esigned console BTW? What is the equivalent spec. If'd care to give me the OS PS4 and XBOX ONE will use I'd be delighted to test equivalen hadrware spec on PC LOL.

PC I built 6 years ago before it gave up the ghost few weeks ago was handling all the newst games no problems at good frame rates - not my fault you buy crap from HP or DELL and get yopur conclusions drawn form there.

Dont think an i7 processor is really required for gaming at 1080p.

You see APUs are funny beasts and the load distribution is rather complex. A difference of one CGU in favour of PS4 gives significantly superior crunching power but this is only utilised for pure graphics specific computations, like textures, lighting. The rest is handled by CPU component of the APU do yes, CPU does matter. However you are right in saying that perhaps 1080p gaming doesn't need it and this with AMD's far superior APU solution and price point (including deals made at the bax of publicity) tipped the scales:). I also suspect that new OS's will be massively multithreaded as AMDs are pathetic in single thread performance compared to Intels. They just about hold their own multithreaded when overclocked up to their gills. Turn the clock up on 22nm fabs and there is nothing out there able to touch i7 thrid gen silicon.

Xbox one for me had a ps1 and ps2 in the past but got an xbox then the 360 after... I have seen how rubbish the online is on PS3 before and how long you have to wait sometimes compared to xbox360 even if you do have to pay for the live it's worth it.

As someone who builds computers it's okay throwing in there that ps4 will have gddr5 but then we don't know what timings they're on or voltage so the xbox RAM could still be faster...

Just found it funny when they released the specs for the xbox one as i've just built my 8 core computer lol although my computer will still be able to out preform it

I believe the Playstation Online Community will become big when the two consoles are released...Alot of people will switch me thinks due to Microsoft not allowing the borrowing of games etc.

• Like 1

^^^ this. My PS friends list is quite quiet. Do play online but not much anymore because most were buying games for the 360 instead. Lots have said they are switching to PS4 and are disappointed they've been let down.

Can't find it now as I'm in work but the demos run on the "Xbox One" at E3 were on PC's. There's a photo going round and I know it technically is a PC but it does leave a bitter taste. Also apparently you can't take your Xbox One out of the country. If for example you had a villa in Spain and you took the console with you to play you can't. An Xbox tech advisor on Twitter advised someone to take the 360 instead.

• Like 1

Most of the demo's for EA games were running on pc especially Battlefield 4 , Most of the xbox demos on the show floor had been running on xbox one's some of them had been running on xbox one Dev kits which was plugged into pc's for debugging reasons you can quite clearly see the dev kit in the picture but the internet went crazy over it as usual Also because it shows a windows 7 screen they are now claiming MS has no confidence in widows 8. They claimed that they had been running on high powered HP Machines with nvidia GTX 700 cards. HP last time i checked Don't make pc cases with windows in them. It was a big fuss over nothing tbh. Im still gonna buy both consoles.

Here's a link to one of the articles http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-xbox-one

That's my point; if they're equal you'll choose the more expensive one due to the fact you already have the old version (brand loyalty)? If neither has a clear advantage then surely the cheaper one (PS4) is the better choice, logically?

No.

U dont understand.

Nevermind.

Money isnt important in my descision as they will both be virtually the same. If you understood consoles u would get it.

Simply having my gamerscore transfer is enough if a motivator if the ps4 isnt fundanentally better. Brand loyalty isnt a factor as i already stated.

Maybe im wording it wrong but you have totally missed my point.

Actually, I take inability to transfer games scores and achievements (I.e. clean slate) as a refreshing new start rekindling my interest in a game. Now wiser with all the experience my stats will be much better ;). Not always mind you :D.

it was pretty obvious microsoft would bin some of their daft ideas. they had to if they wanted to compete. It wont affect my decision as ill wait to see which one is best in terms of gaming. no point saying this will be ps4 as its more powerfull as this didnt help ps3. Only time will tell. would be good to get an actual first hand review of them both prior to release date.

• Like 2

As it is a car forum I think it'd be apt to quote an old adage "power is nothing without control" - you are right, just because it has a hardware edge doesn't mean gameplay experience will be better of course. What it means is that PS4 game devs will have more headroom for more eye candy where Necrosoft will run out of puff. Still depends on the devs being able to expoilt that additional oomph.

As it is a car forum I think it'd be apt to quote an old adage "power is nothing without control" - you are right, just because it has a hardware edge doesn't mean gameplay experience will be better of course. What it means is that PS4 game devs will have more headroom for more eye candy where Necrosoft will run out of puff. Still depends on the devs being able to expoilt that additional oomph.

And if devs can be arsed. Should be easier with these two consoles because they are similar but only Naughty Dog with Uncharted really pushed the PS3 to it's limits. Even if there is that extra to push for they may think "why bother" if both consoles have to run it they'll just make it to Xbox specs and port over

I think I'm the only person in the world that can't stand the XBox controller

Nope I can't stand it either. It offends my sense of Symmetry.
  • Like 2

And if devs can be arsed. Should be easier with these two consoles because they are similar but only Naughty Dog with Uncharted really pushed the PS3 to it's limits. Even if there is that extra to push for they may think "why bother" if both consoles have to run it they'll just make it to Xbox specs and port over

Same underlaying hardware with small (might be next to none?) OS differences is not going to make porting a difficult exercise I'd have thought.

Having said that extra textures maps and lighting should not be that unsrmountable... Devs do not care I should imagine as they will be getting their monet no matter if it sells for XBOX or PS4. I'd imagine Sony would have to incentivise them to develop better looking graphics for titles running on both platforms. It obviously doesn't apply to any exclusive titles

Same underlaying hardware with small (might be next to none?) OS differences is not going to make porting a difficult exercise I'd have thought.

Having said that extra textures maps and lighting should not be that unsrmountable... Devs do not care I should imagine as they will be getting their monet no matter if it sells for XBOX or PS4. I'd imagine Sony would have to incentivise them to develop better looking graphics for titles running on both platforms. It obviously doesn't apply to any exclusive titles

If they are so like PC's then they will just develop on PC, it will scale like a PC does and the PS3 will automatically have better graphics or a higher frame rate.

Possibly....

As I've said before, the architecture is so similar between the two machines that there will be minimal effort involved in designing games to use the extra 50% on the PS4.

It's just like a PC where it will run at different frame rates if you swap a mediocre graphics card for a faster one.

It's nothing like the current consoles where the PS3 is theoretically more powerful but difficult to code for.