XBOX One or PS4?

Poor question tbh, Betamax was superior to VHS, HD DVD was superior to BR and PC's are years ahead of consoles, it's not about the hardware spec and never has been. It's down to the closed system that developers can optimize code for that hardware.

As to what I'll buy, I won't. The previous gen consoles proved to me how little I game now, it's just not something I'll spend that kind of money on. If I were going to then clearly Sony has had this handed to them by MS. As to the Bill Gates comment he has virtually nothing to do with MS and even less to do with the gaming side from what I understand.

As a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer im fully aware of Bill Gates lack of involvement in the day to day running of the company it was a light hearted joke meant to amuse not apportion any blame for the Xbox's Massive hum dinger of a an attempt at commercial suicide. But seeing as your keen to share your opinion as fact would you to care to enlighten everyone why the lame duck that was HD DVD was in your opinion better than Bluray. Personally I would use this as a perfect case example of where consumers really did vote with their feet based on the superior capacity and media construction of the Bluray. Toshiba had no chance really im surprised they persisted with it for so long. Betamax were marginally better than VHS but even that was at the expense of duration of recording so nothing in it really 10 horizontal lines extra was hardly anything to get exited about.

Now I am excited PS4 will be Pre-Ordered base purely on the Announcement of Mirrors Edge 2

Loved Mirrors Edge on the PS3 complete rethinking of the way we play games nearly completed the

entire game without using a single gun just the last level was a bitch and had to grab the SAW and mow

down a few baddies. This game will be epic

http://gadgetshow.channel5.com/gadget-show/gadget-news/e3-2013-all-the-amazing-new-games-so-far

At the moment we have the Wii which i don't rate but it was for the kids and before that i have the Sega Dreamcast which i thought was a great machine but as you can see we aren't big gamers. My kids are now 13 and 11 years old and i want to get them either PS4 or Xbox ONE but which one i don't know, i am not a big Sony fan so thinking on the Xbox even though it is £70 more expensive.

Does someone know the pros and cons of each machine.

At the moment we have the Wii which i don't rate but it was for the kids and before that i have the Sega Dreamcast which i thought was a great machine but as you can see we aren't big gamers. My kids are now 13 and 11 years old and i want to get them either PS4 or Xbox ONE but which one i don't know, i am not a big Sony fan so thinking on the Xbox even though it is £70 more expensive.

Just read the thread
  • Like 1

Xbox if you want to be ripped off, held back and spied on. PS4 if you want to be able to buy used games, get free games every month with Plus and get more for your money.

HTH

At the moment the majority will be leaning towards the PS4, mostly due to price AND they are not trying to shaft people on second hand games. However, this will not stop publishers shafting people, such as EA, with having to purchase online codes.

Looking on Amazon, I cant believe they are expecting £55 for the games for both systems. Hopefully that's RRP and they will be cheaper in the shops as that's a crazy price for a game. And they wonder why so many people 'borrow' games from the internet lending library

• Like 2

As a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer im fully aware of Bill Gates lack of involvement in the day to day running of the company it was a light hearted joke meant to amuse not apportion any blame for the Xbox's Massive hum dinger of a an attempt at commercial suicide. But seeing as your keen to share your opinion as fact would you to care to enlighten everyone why the lame duck that was HD DVD was in your opinion better than Bluray. Personally I would use this as a perfect case example of where consumers really did vote with their feet based on the superior capacity and media construction of the Bluray. Toshiba had no chance really im surprised they persisted with it for so long. Betamax were marginally better than VHS but even that was at the expense of duration of recording so nothing in it really 10 horizontal lines extra was hardly anything to get exited about.

MSCE, oh that brings back memories of the 90's, I'd worked for a few years in a multimedia replicators mainly dealing with VHS/CD duplication and commercial encoding, it was an interesting time, Y2K compliance was the cash cow of the day followed by the government IT training schemes a few years later, it was also the death of the small independent trade fairs that had been so popular as online ordering kicked in. I don't remember Bill Gates figuring in the MSCE course much and certainly not his position and duties in the company so I'm not sure why you would link the two as they're totally unrelated, it seems a bit of a stretch to be honest.

Anyway Betamax wasn't just an extra 10 lines, that's what 10 seconds of google will tell you, 5 minutes in an environment such as the one I worked in would show you that you had much less cross talk/noise as well, later incarnations improved the situation dramatically but i'd imagine if development had continued the same would be true of Betamax this may not mean much now but back in the mid 90's on professional kit the quality difference was noticeable in much the same way as VHS to DVD would be on today's screens but on that 14" 'portable' I was lucky enough to have as a kid it wasn't. Back then DVD-R was about to launch, I remember getting our first drive through about a week before UK launch to test but ironically only 1 disc!

Now lets skip to BD/HD DVD, superior construction is just plain wrong, i'm surprised anyone with an MSCE would make such a statement but i'll get to that in a moment, the obvious difference is capacity which even back then went in favor of BD, but that (unlike VHS) wasn't that important, the real benefit was durability and the extra audio bit rate, HD DVD had matched BD for all codecs but allowed twice the bandwidth for certain types of audio stream, but the most important advantage was it followed the DVD layout, it had a full 0.6mm of protection between the disc surface and the data, BD is only 0.1mm, this made early BD awful, the only way to get round the durability issue was to make that 0.1mm and two substrates bonded together during production, that wasn't cheap, production lines had to be retooled at much greater cost than that to produce HD DVD, the other thing that was advantageous was it was a region free system.

Interestingly the real reason it failed is simply down to one company and nothing to do with consumers, Microsoft (I bet they didn't cover this in your MSCE). MS has always tried to push it's proprietary codecs to be adopted as industry standards as one of the things our friend Bill is big on is licensing, the industry doesn't like the idea of one company holding it to ransom and as such its one of the few things that will pull them together (remember ASF v QT?), if you have a format that is adopted as a standard then you're laughing, MS wanted VC1 (essentially WM9 rebranded) to be the next video standard, as before everyone else preferred an open standard or at least one they all had a stake in. The reason Toshiba pushed on for so long is MS pushed them to, essentially consumers followed the industry rejection and not as you suggest made a choice, they didn't have one.

Tech superiority is very rarely a factor, as Avalon mentioned it is all about politics, depth of war chests and which camp has more powerful backing power.

How many excellent energy tech is bought out of the market by oil firms to make sure it stays out of circulation by buying patents of and locking them in safes?

To get back on the topic PS4 won hands down on privacy, tech and content availability - not to mention the price.

What is also interesting is how consoles in general ditched proprietary hardware and are using "PC Components" now :D

MSCE, oh that brings back memories of the 90's, I'd worked for a few years in a multimedia replicators mainly dealing with VHS/CD duplication

Wow you are keen, The MCSE reference was not evidence of me knowing Bill personaly lol it was more to do with illustrating im not some numpty who doesn't know what they are talking about. I also worked in a similar industry so its not googled information i can assure you. I did 4 Years at an R&D division for a company who supplied and installed TV distribution systems for the M.O.D. We took over from Marconi and Plessey's defence contracts. We were resellers for Grunding, Philips and Sky etc to the navy. Im surprised you never mentioned the Philips Video 2000 as this ****ed all over Betamax. It was my job while i was at the company to design custom 19" rack equipment to distribute TV and Video around the Ships or submarines. However none of this is relevant to the topic so why are you bringing it up?

I think I'm the only person in the world that can't stand the XBox controller. So I'm very worried about the PS4 dualshock being bigger and taking some cues from it.

It's only a little bigger so is just keeping up with the times. Bear in mind the PS3 controller dimensions, with the exception of the sticks is almost 20 years old now.

My hands haven't particularly grown over the last 20 years though. And the old dualshock sat in them very nicely.

I'm sure I'd get used to it.

– I've done some pretty violent things to my dualshock controller in ragequits and it's going strong. Ive never worried about the sturdyness of the Sony controller.

• Like 1

I think it's just what you get used to. I had the PS1 and 2 and never had a problem with the controllers, then switched to the 360 and found the controller too big but then got used to it, played on the PS3 at my mates house and didn't like how fragile it felt. If i end up getting the PS4, i'm sure whatever the controller size, i would just get used to it again.

• Like 2

Just pre-ordered my PS4 from Game - Cost £20 to Pre-order.

Check out this cool link my son will love this!

http://www.engadget....lshock-4-and-p/

Ah, game have now got a £349.99 price tag. They were still showing TBC yesterday and I wouldn't have put it past them to charge more than RRP or force a bundle deal on you.

im getting the xbox one on launch and ps4 sometime next year purely because i preferred the games on xbox one more. i have always said i will get both consoles. i couldn't care less about the whole pre-owned debate or the lending games issue as neither affect me. i also prefer xbox live over PSN + which i have had on my launch ps3 since they launched the psn+ service and to be honest xbox live is a much better experience than psn which feels slow and clunky also downloads and game updates take forever. With xbox live you now also get 2 free games per month starting from july i think it was. Sony need the ps4 to be a bigger success as they really can't afford to keep losing money thats basically the reason they are selling off parts of the company. I'm a gamer and will have both consoles. if everyone was the same the world would be a boring place.