Dash Cam Users

A question to those of you with dash cams. Do you leave them in situ or remove them after every journey?

I’m increasingly tempted to get one but I wonder if it would be too much of a faff to use it. I could leave it in the car during the day as the work car park is on a secure site, but I wonder if having to set it up every day would result in just not getting used.

I guess it’s just like setting up a sat nav?

It all depends on where I am, at home it stays in, travelling with work gets me to some rough places so it comes out BUT this is simple, remove the wire via the plug and then press the button on the holder and out pops the camera, next outing just pop it back in and plug in the power.

Mine's black and tucked right up by the rain/light sensor on the Octy. Permanently stuck with some number-plate fixing pads. Comes on/off with the ignition.

Sod's law dictates that the day you forget to set it up is the day you'll need it. ;)

• Like 2

Both mine stay in the car all the time, but then I hardly live in a dodgy area.

If I happen to be somewhere dodgy, I can whip it out in 2 seconds so its no biggie. Its only one button to unhook it from the stuck on clip, then just unplug the power cable.

Thanks all.

I do live in a dodgy area so having one would mean taking it out every night and I doubt I'd even want to leave it in the glove compartment. I'll have a think on it.

"south Wales" - not Swansea are is it? Went to Uni there, should was bad for car crime. I was glad to only have a real old poxy micra with me for one of the final periods there.

Where do you guys mount the dash cams? Are there any that fit neatly behind (or attach to the back of) the rear view mirror so as not to obstruct the driver's view?

(ok, so the clue's probably in the name 'dashcam', but I'd want it to be out of my line of sight if I were to get one!)

All my cars have had a camera attached permanently, it may even put off the keen eyed car burglar seeing a camera might be better just walking on to the next car.

Where do you guys mount the dash cams? Are there any that fit neatly behind (or attach to the back of) the rear view mirror so as not to obstruct the driver's view?

(ok, so the clue's probably in the name 'dashcam', but I'd want it to be out of my line of sight if I were to get one!)

Mine is behind rear view mirror, its on a suction mount so a little more noticeable than the likes of the blackvue using a self adhesive mounting bracket.

Pic is looking up from underneath its harder to see from drivers seat.

19.jpg

A pic from yesterday by chance you can see camera below mirror :)

20130529_155329.jpg

My Blackvue is tucked under the mirror and not seen at all from the driver's seat. The DVR027 in SWMBO's is up left of her mirror, peeking through but not obstructing the view through the swept area.

"south Wales" - not Swansea are is it? Went to Uni there, should was bad for car crime. I was glad to only have a real old poxy micra with me for one of the final periods there.

Cardiff. But not a particularly good bit. On street parking too. I definitely wouldn't want to leave anything on show in the car.

A question to those of you with dash cams. Do you leave them in situ or remove them after every journey?

I have a Blackvue DR400 II coming (!!) for my Fabia I and I've been asking that same question, but as its been said here it really depends on the area you park. But it's a shame that in some places we have to take it out of the car, because the parking mode can turn out to be useful.

I'd like to place mine above the rear view mirror so it's not so visible from outside. If I place it on the back of the mirror it will be displayed against the reflectible sun shade I use for the dashboard. Besides, above the mirror it would be a little safer from UV light and high temperatures :whew: that would bake the dashcam, as it would be placed behind the sun strip.

But I'm afraid there won't be enough room... :@

Thanks for the pictures. Looking at them too my eye its still all to easy for a thieving little wretch to see them in the car and have reason to break in. Good to see though don't interfer with the forward view however.

Gotta say, after having looked - these dashcams are a bit more expensive than I was anticipating :whew:

Might have to be another couple of months yet (other things to pay for :( ), but I can see how invaluable they would be in any unfortunate incidents on the road.

My Blackvue is tucked up behind the mirror;

Image0135.jpg

Image0134.jpg

Your bullseye sticker spot is where I want to put my cam. Otherwise I'll have to take it with me whenever I park it on the street.

Gotta say, after having looked - these dashcams are a bit more expensive than I was anticipating :whew:

Might have to be another couple of months yet (other things to pay for :( ), but I can see how invaluable they would be in any unfortunate incidents on the road.

plenty of apps available from Play or Iwhatever depending on your phone's capabilities.